The Samsung Series 5 550P Laptops Thread

asher

Broken In
Samsung NP550P5C-S04IN owners...... pls guys can u tell me does this new model of this series have heating issue or not.... temp upto 80 is normal in gaming for me... but does it exceed so much.... i m planning to order this tomorrow bcoz in my city S03 model is not available.... pls help....

no heating issues mate,go for it,only thing that i wish ws a better screen,like more pure white screen and better contrast..
nothing is perfect.....this almost is.....

!!..Nicks..!!

Broken In
thanks for your suggestion.... i called the local dealer here... he said s03 is not available... and he can provide me s04... he told me that s03 is not available anywhere and he can't give an ETA for when it ll be available... so i have now only 1 option that's s04.... so is there any drawback of getting i5 instead of i7...
i have to play 3-4hrs daily and some programming in eclipse and visual studio etc.... so pls help me i m in a hurry i have to order s04 today or tmrrw....
and also should i wait for like a month... are there any upcoming laptops in samsung or others.... pls reply fast....

sorry for the late reply..
If ur in for gaming and programming aspect, i5 is sufficient for you.. its just that i7 ll be future proof.. as of now i5 ll suffice ur needs(gaming on all current games in market and the software tools u mentioned) and ur lappy ll be relatively cooler compared to lappy with i7 processor..

so if i7 not available u can go wid i5.. no issues at all..:cool:

dan4u

Took Off!!!
hey those who updated to Windows 8, were you able to re-install the cyberlink softwares (youcam, Media Suite) ?? I can't install them....

Djstretche

Right off the assembly line
hey guys im looking for a keyboard and palmrest housing, does anyone know where i might be able to get one online? iv searched and cant find anything.
i have a S02au
thanks in advance :)

sj2202

Broken In
u can avoid s02 since its discontinued due to manufacturing defects.. lenovo would be a bettr choice if ur budget is that high

My budget is 70k.
I don't think I have many good options in this budget apart from sammy.
Was thinking about 17r Turbo(1080p)...but I am getting i5 with it for 70k. :-x
Should I go for Lenovo?...that model has 768p screen....I have heard that they are pathetic! :-?

ratul

█████████████████
My budget is 70k.
I don't think I have many good options in this budget apart from sammy.
Was thinking about 17r Turbo(1080p)...but I am getting i5 with it for 70k. :-x
Should I go for Lenovo?...that model has 768p screen....I have heard that they are pathetic! :-?

u r getting gtx660 for 70k and still care for 768p?? :facepalm:.

Budheadz

Right off the assembly line
Because Turbo boost is disabled on battery

Its always advised to keep your laptop plugged in when gaming for performance boost(at least i though that was the norm), when plugged out your lappy has to deal with power management tools, and on my dell inspiron 15r(i3, 5450m) when having all power options set to high performance (plugged in and unplugged), theres big performance drop when unplugged while gaming.

Well iv ordered this lappy on 27th dec, and it dispatched today :razz:, should have it early next week. And after looking deeper into this lappy after ordering iv seen afew people with the throttling problems an all that... which sucks. I found this thread and read through the entire thing up to your comment im replying to (page 126 or something), GREAT THREAD!, Very informative.

Im in ireland and ordered from the UK for cheapest deal (835euro) for the i5, GT650m 2gb ddr3, 6gb ram, 1366 x 768 display. Its the "S03UK" model.
As i havnt yet read through this whole thread, the models talked about here so far are the S01, S02 models, i will continue reading now until the last post ^^

Edit,
Has anyone with the throttling issues tried turning off Hyper threading ? (if the feature is with your processor), HT is not good for gaming.
To do so,
run, msconfig > Boot tab > Advanced options > Click "Number of processors" and select only the amount of physical cores you have, and hit ok, and apply, then hit the prompt to restart your comp

Also has anyone tryed playing DayZ mod on this lappy ?

Last edited:

pratyush997

Inactive
@pratyush997 how is this thread goin on?
A bit lazy. :p
waiting for s05 and s06 to be launched and s03 n s04 to get discontinued :D

Its always advised to keep your laptop plugged in when gaming for performance boost(at least i though that was the norm), when plugged out your lappy has to deal with power management tools, and on my dell inspiron 15r(i3, 5450m) when having all power options set to high performance (plugged in and unplugged), theres big performance drop when unplugged while gaming.

Well iv ordered this lappy on 27th dec, and it dispatched today :razz:, should have it early next week. And after looking deeper into this lappy after ordering iv seen afew people with the throttling problems an all that... which sucks. I found this thread and read through the entire thing up to your comment im replying to (page 126 or something), GREAT THREAD!, Very informative.

Im in ireland and ordered from the UK for cheapest deal (835euro) for the i5, GT650m 2gb ddr3, 6gb ram, 1366 x 768 display. Its the "S03UK" model.
As i havnt yet read through this whole thread, the models talked about here so far are the S01, S02 models, i will continue reading now until the last post ^^

Edit,
Has anyone with the throttling issues tried turning off Hyper threading ? (if the feature is with your processor), HT is not good for gaming.
To do so,
run, msconfig > Boot tab > Advanced options > Click "Number of processors" and select only the amount of physical cores you have, and hit ok, and apply, then hit the prompt to restart your comp

Also has anyone tryed playing DayZ mod on this lappy ?
btw do keep us updated when you get your lappy

!!..Nicks..!!

Broken In
Windows 9 maybe ?? :lol:, ok bad joke......maybe the new Intel Haswell processors, will have to wait and see.

Hello dan4u do u hav any idea as to how to get start button in windows 8 ?? i have s03 model..

I have heard of quick starter by samsung wich performs the same job but i couldnt find it anywhere for download..

Request to all who follow this thread.. please help..

dan4u

Took Off!!!
^^ yes use quick starter, its just like start button. download and install it using Easy Software manager

ratul

█████████████████
Hello dan4u do u hav any idea as to how to get start button in windows 8 ?? i have s03 model..

I have heard of quick starter by samsung wich performs the same job but i couldnt find it anywhere for download..

Request to all who follow this thread.. please help..

i have tried numerous alternatives for start menu, the two best i found are paid though, but they provide the best experience according to me..

Start8: One of the best start menu emulators out there, exactly windows 7 looking, and blends with the system well, used it about a month, and don't know why, but certain bugs started to show like dark color, blurred text and finally it stopped working... (maybe it's Stardock product, which well have a not so good reliability in them.. :p).

StartIsBack: Like Start8, this too perfectly emulates windows 7 start menu, and though i am using it for a week only now, it seems to be more stable and works pretty well too...

So you can choose from above two, alternatively Classic Shell (free) is said to be the most stable product as it has been in development for past many years, but it provides a slightly modified 7 style start menu, which does'nt look exactly like win7 start menu, but still looks good, so choice is yours..

rider

as Kratos
Windows 9 maybe ?? :lol:, ok bad joke......maybe the new Intel Haswell processors, will have to wait and see.

Poor Joke! :p
It's a long time for Haswell processors. May be after June and I don't think Samsung will put that in these models as S05 and S06. Most probably Samsung will launch some new models with Haswell processors.

!!..Nicks..!!

Broken In
^^ yes use quick starter, its just like start button. download and install it using Easy Software manager

I installed Easy Software Manager but whenever i launch the app it says " an unknown error has occurred".. its may be coz app is outdated and its new version named SW update is available..

I have SW update installed on my system but it doesnt provide quick starter in the downloads:-(

any other alternative???

i have tried numerous alternatives for start menu, the two best i found are paid though, but they provide the best experience according to me..

Start8: One of the best start menu emulators out there, exactly windows 7 looking, and blends with the system well, used it about a month, and don't know why, but certain bugs started to show like dark color, blurred text and finally it stopped working... (maybe it's Stardock product, which well have a not so good reliability in them.. :p).

StartIsBack: Like Start8, this too perfectly emulates windows 7 start menu, and though i am using it for a week only now, it seems to be more stable and works pretty well too...

So you can choose from above two, alternatively Classic Shell (free) is said to be the most stable product as it has been in development for past many years, but it provides a slightly modified 7 style start menu, which does'nt look exactly like win7 start menu, but still looks good, so choice is yours..

hey ratul.. Thanks for the suggestion..:) BTW i tried start8 few days back but the free version is of 30 days trial.. when i installed and ran it, the trial period seemed to have expired.. Evrytime the same story no matter wich website i downloaded it from.. Have to try other two..:)

Top Bottom