The Samsung Series 5 550P Laptops Thread

dan4u

Took Off!!!
btw guys there's a software called "quick starter" that Samsung provides, it brings back the start menu in Win 8

knjsandeepkumar

Right off the assembly line
Hi Guys,

I have ordered the samsung Np5505pc-S01IN laptop 2 days back from flipkart. I have a few questions, which may be the existing owners in this thread can answer.

1. Does this laptop have a slot for Docking Station?
2. Is the Intel B75 chipset present in this laptop compatible to use SSD?

Hope some one can answers my questions soon :-o

dx1

Broken In
^^ not sure about that

seems Like these will be the new models,
Samsung NP550P5C-S04IN
Samsung NP550P5C-S03IN
nothing different, except that it comes pre-installed with windows 8

EDIT:- Seems like it doesn't have Blu-ray drive, only a DVD drive

who needs Blu-Ray anyway....god knows when it will finally click and become mainstream...

tanvir37

Broken In
I'm looking to buy a laptop this diwali
which one should i go for
NP550P5C-S01IN
OR
NP550P5C-S04IN
:-?

And also suggest a shop(at LAMINGTON ROAD, MUMBAI) from where i can get the laptop

duriel

Broken In
A few things that I did after installing win 8 (I did clean install)

1) Installed sound driver from Samsung website, otherwise sound will only come through woofer and that too very loud as if the woofer will snap out of the base any moment.
2) Installed touchpad driver from samsung website, so I could re-enable some features like pinch zoom, two finger gestures, etc. A new driver to support win 8 swipe gestures will be released soon: Synaptics Gesture Suite (SGS 12.3).
3) Installed NVidia drivers from windows update.
4) IMO its much tolerable if I disable the fancy animations, especially for metro. I disabled them by right clicking "My Computer" > Advanced Settings > Performance > Visual Effects.
5) Installed Pokki menu *www.pokki.com/ to restore the start menu. It's really useful and beautiful.
6) Created some folder for pics, music etc in another drive and added these folders to the libraries "Music", "Videos"... This way if we use the music, videos, apps from metro which will use the content from the specified folders.

rockz3r

Broken In
Any one playing medal of honor: warfighter . and in what settings ,resolutioin and in what fps in s01in/s04in (if its launched within 2013 march)

magnet

Youngling
New models having same gfx properties.

Also no blue ray and upgrade cpu should nullify the price rise or atleast 2 years warranty needed.

tv1993

Broken In
[SUB][/SUB]
Can anyone please tell me where to buy a 120W power adapter online. I have searched many many pages on the net without finding a single adapter for samsung.

hhh

Broken In
A few things that I did after installing win 8 (I did clean install)

1) Installed sound driver from Samsung website, otherwise sound will only come through woofer and that too very loud as if the woofer will snap out of the base any moment.
2) Installed touchpad driver from samsung website, so I could re-enable some features like pinch zoom, two finger gestures, etc. A new driver to support win 8 swipe gestures will be released soon: Synaptics Gesture Suite (SGS 12.3).
3) Installed NVidia drivers from windows update.
4) IMO its much tolerable if I disable the fancy animations, especially for metro. I disabled them by right clicking "My Computer" > Advanced Settings > Performance > Visual Effects.
5) Installed Pokki menu *www.pokki.com/ to restore the start menu. It's really useful and beautiful.
6) Created some folder for pics, music etc in another drive and added these folders to the libraries "Music", "Videos"... This way if we use the music, videos, apps from metro which will use the content from the specified folders.

Hi duriel,
Hope you doing well :)
Can you please share with me the driver links. I also did a fresh install into a different drive. Now using Win 7 and win 8 both ... :))

duriel

Broken In
yep doing great, hope your sammy is treating you well ;)

Well, here's the drivers page: Support for NP550P5C
I installed [Sound(Audio)(MS Signature)] and [Touchpad(MS Signature)]

One thing I noticed, in the task manager > Performance I see the cpu clock fixed at 2.29 GHz. It doesn't change no matter whether I am in plugged in or out or power saver or high performance mode. I am pretty sure after installing win8 it did show variable clock speed with min about 1.3 GHz. Do you have this issue too?

alpha34

Broken In
samsung support page still has old drivers only but in software update there are new drivers........
@duriel even in turbo mode does the clock speed remain 2.29ghz?

duriel

Broken In
samsung support page still has old drivers only but in software update there are new drivers........
@duriel even in turbo mode does the clock speed remain 2.29ghz?

Thanks, I got confused with Samsung Update Plus and the newer one SW Update. This new SW Update shows new drivers.

How do you get to turbo mode in win 8? I haven't yet installed installed the samsung software which shows turbo mode, silent mode etc. I will install these drivers now and see if these drivers fix this issue.

alpha34

Broken In
Thanks, I got confused with Samsung Update Plus and the newer one SW Update. This new SW Update shows new drivers.

How do you get to turbo mode in win 8? I haven't yet installed installed the samsung software which shows turbo mode, silent mode etc. I will install these drivers now and see if these drivers fix this issue.

high performance mode should trigger overclocking but u need easy settings to overclock ie turbo mode :wink:

krish_techie

Broken In
hi guys can some one tell me for how much u paid for win8 ..i downloaded upgrade assistant but while paying it is showing 1999...can some one tell me how to get win8 for 699..as we bought our laptops in august only ...if possible provide the link..i even registered in windowsoffer website and received the promocode..but where should i use it .my hands are itching to try win8 on my sammy :razz:

duriel

Broken In
high performance mode should trigger overclocking but u need easy settings to overclock ie turbo mode :wink:
Yes, I now installed all the samsung recommended softwares and drivers through SW Update (*orcaservice.samsungmobile.com/SWUpdate.aspx). It's really nice. But the fn+fan key can now only change the mode to one of the last two modes used, also it doesn't show any text on screen showing which mode it is in. Well it doesn't matter, just telling, I myself use the battery icon.

Anyway about the clock issue, well it seems the issue is because I installed hyper-v given with windows 8. I used to use virtualbox for all my vm work. But hyper-v is type 1 hypervisor and takes over during bootup and seems to fix the speed to stock clock speed, that is 2.29GHz. This also caused issue with virtualbox. So I uinstalled hyper-v. Its good now, task manager now shows variable clock speed.

hi guys can some one tell me for how much u paid for win8 ..i downloaded upgrade assistant but while paying it is showing 1999...can some one tell me how to get win8 for 699..as we bought our laptops in august only ...if possible provide the link..i even registered in windowsoffer website and received the promocode..but where should i use it .my hands are itching to try win8 on my sammy :razz:
699. During the order:
If you are ordering using paypal the promo field will come before checkout
If you are ordering using credit card the promo field will come after you enter your credit card details.

som

Broken In
Hi guys .. Please help me from where i can purchase Samsung NP550P5C-S01IN in Bangalore .... except Flipkart(Online stores) & also please tell me what is the current price for Core i5 (3rd Generation) 1TB 6GB RAM Samsung 550p ...

duriel

Broken In
Hi guys .. Please help me from where i can purchase Samsung NP550P5C-S01IN in Bangalore .... except Flipkart(Online stores) & also please tell me what is the current price for Core i5 (3rd Generation) 1TB 6GB RAM Samsung 550p ...
Check out AR computers at SP road. Last time (1 month back) he was saying around 49k for S01.

Top Bottom