The Samsung Series 5 550P Laptops Thread

dexbg

Journeyman
Guys.. a final piece of advise before I purchase.

How much difference is there between the i5 n i7 version.

Does it justify the almost 9k price difference ?

Difference in Gaming ?
Difference in Regular Use/Multimedia?
Difference in CPU intensive/VM work?
Difference in Battery Life?

Will it be better-of in spending the 9k to upgrade the RAM n warranty or possibly a SSD?

Last edited:

ujjwal007

Lost in games
Guys.. a final piece of advise before I purchase.

How much difference is there between the i5 n i7 version.

Does it justify the almost 9k price difference ?

Difference in Gaming ?
Difference in Regular Use/Multimedia?
Difference in CPU intensive/VM work?
Difference in Battery Life?

Will it be better-of in spending the 9k to upgrade the RAM n warranty or possibly a SSD?

nthg much i7 is just more future proof i5 can handle all the current games in ultra/high settings better go with i7 it was worth the extra money for sure!! go for it! no diff in battery life i guess not much difference in anything just future proof only some games can able to use the extra 4 cores in future!! gta 5 can be a lot resource hungry game ! :cool::lol::-D

dexbg

Journeyman
nthg much i7 is just more future proof i5 can handle all the current games in ultra/high settings better go with i7 it was worth the extra money for sure!! go for it! no diff in battery life i guess not much difference in anything just future proof only some games can able to use the extra 4 cores in future!! gta 5 can be a lot resource hungry game ! :cool::lol::-D

1. So little or no difference in Gaming .. 650M more than compensates here I believe. :)

Will there any any noticeable slowdown in applications after a while in i5 vs i7 ?

3. CPU intensive work .. how much margin does the i7 have over the i5 ? eg. Running Virtual Machines/Emulators ? Compiling AOSP :D ?

4. So battery life is the same.

Gaming notwithstanding, i5 can substitute the i7 in most cases ?

Broken In
1. So little or no difference in Gaming .. 650M more than compensates here I believe. :)

Will there any any noticeable slowdown in applications after a while in i5 vs i7 ?

3. CPU intensive work .. how much margin does the i7 have over the i5 ? eg. Running Virtual Machines/Emulators ? Compiling AOSP :D ?

4. So battery life is the same.

Gaming notwithstanding, i5 can substitute the i7 in most cases ?

I have played Max Payne 3 in 17R S.E.....Seems like it is an optimized game for Pc.. Gpu usage goes upto 95% while Cpu usually is around 40% max.. So If a game is well optimized for Pc,then Cpu does not play a big role. But I have heard that games like BF3 are CPU intensive!!!

dan4u

Took Off!!!

you are forgetting the bluray drive and 8gb RAM

RON28

Cyborg Agent
ron dont worry this is the normal temps 100% everyone is getting around same temps i was in teamviewer with pratyush and i saw the idle temps are 45 around and...load temps are 90 around! dont worry we can hope nvidia will fix this issue pretty soon!! every laptop is heating a lot even 15r se too is too much heating now saw somewhere if the laptop is cool dont worry and anyways samsung is going to give 3 years warranty soon buy that for sure! cooling pads are really not able to help here many owners using but they are seeing 2-3 c diff only thats not much! and if u buy cooling pad dont go with u2 or u3 lol they sucks!! just enjoy ur sammy now! my old laptop heats upto 80 c when i m playing sims 3 for 3-4 hours the heat is just can't bearable each and every part is heating lol

YES, but it does reach 92C but we can't feel it, laptop's palm rest remains ultimately cool :D

dexbg

Journeyman
I have played Max Payne 3 in 17R S.E.....Seems like it is an optimized game for Pc.. Gpu usage goes upto 95% while Cpu usually is around 40% max.. So If a game is well optimized for Pc,then Cpu does not play a big role. But I have heard that games like BF3 are CPU intensive!!!

you are forgetting the bluray drive and 8gb RAM

How about I get the Core i5 model and purchase a 128 GB SSD with the price difference. The SSD will fit into the Optical Drive bay .. :D
Primary OS + Apps can reside on the SSD so faster boot + better battery life.

What say ?

Is it possible to take out my Optical drive put in a chassis which connects via USB ??

ujjwal007

Lost in games
How about I get the Core i5 model and purchase a 128 GB SSD with the price difference. The SSD will fit into the Optical Drive bay .. :D
Primary OS + Apps can reside on the SSD so faster boot + better battery life.

What say ?

Is it possible to take out my Optical drive put in a chassis which connects via USB ??

thats a good option too but better to get i7 for now :D you can add SSD anytime when u saved enough bucks :D its ur wish both ways are good :) if you can change ur lappy in 3 years go with i5 :) otherwise i7

YES, but it does reach 92C but we can't feel it, laptop's palm rest remains ultimately cool :D

what a great news :D thats wht we wanted :D the build quality is good!! what you played so far?

dexbg

Journeyman
^ I think this Model has 3 SATA Port as I posted a Pic !!!!
1 of em was Empty!

Yes.. but AFAIK a 15.6" laptop chassis doesnt have space for an additional HDD bay .. So will need to remove the Optical Drive to add an extra HDD/SSD ?

As for the 2nd question.. Can I still use my Laptop Optical Drive though USB somehow ? :D

dexbg

Journeyman
^ LOL Yea

about that .. the Motherboard might have an extra SATA port but there should also be space inside the Laptop Chassis to put the SSD in ?

dexbg

Journeyman
So about the SSD-in-Optical drive can 100% done right .. coz only then will I get the i5 version and upgrade with the SSD ?

Will doing so void my warranty ??

Also will the Optical work from USB though a chassis ?? (as a bonus) :D

Top Bottom