The Samsung Series 5 550P Laptops Thread

sanjoy.bose

Journeyman
The driver page showed that the drivers are updated on 12th july 2012, so Samsung is working on it and hopefully will release more drivers shortly which hopefully will solve it. Till then I suggest to keep the cpu performance at 75% or lower to avoid any overheating damage which are most likely to be permanent.

@Sakil - you can get this as this is the best by any user view, if I would have to buy one, I may have also opted for this now, but you can also see for other model as which game will you play is not clearly mentioned... Surely 650M has no match in this price but if anyone willing to play no so high games, can opt for other models. clear?

sakii

\m/ \m/
I hardly think they will refund that in india ... max to max a replacement but that too will not solve the problem

Yup i read that other thread i thing most of them are facing this problem one of them even got a replacement from samsung (relaced the MoBo). The issue is even with 1-2 year old games (though playing time is longer).

I found the link for Samsung Np550p5c-S01INon samsung website there is Bios (March release) drivers (12th july release) visible

Did samsung made a Boo-Boo with this ???

Feeling skeptical about the this now :sealed::punch::pullhair:

I dont think SMSUNG will MESS UP with this model. As this was SAMMY one of the widely released model. So if there is a issue...they have to solve it. They have won half the battle ( knocked of price market ) & midway of release of final software frm NVIDIA for GT650M. I think they can not mess up with this. I am feeling strong abt it tht throttle will be addressed in upcoming time.

BTW is there any laptop close to such premium specs. in this price range +5k

demolisher48

Journeyman
Yup....need not to panic...!!!
I have read too tht...its placing structure issue...with CPU getting hot in turbo mode...making GPU hot too.... ( simple placing issue). Soiff this is a big issue...warranty wil be helpful anyway.

May b samsung if not having a proper solution can call back laptop to fix or refund ( refund is hardest possiblity in INDIA).

But calling CC will be no harm yaar....do tht..let thm know ur issue.

Problem is for me >> As I have to buy a laptop (hightime now) I am locked onto this i5 version. Deeply I knw I wont be getting loads of tym to play games but I will game for sure. Mostly it will be web surfing and movies. Should I go for it or not. This weekend PUNE is the place for me.

PS: where r tech expert lyk rider during such scene :-o

i am in the same dilemma as you are as i have to buy a laptop now tooo and was eagerly waiting for this one but now this problem has shown up what to do
so i should buy it right?

Last edited:

daksh

Journeyman
I dont think there is any need to worry . All ivb laptops go to 80+ and all Gt650s touch 90s its not a Samsung problem . Any laptop with thwse specs heats up . Even the macbookpro heats up . You won't find these specs in these specs in this price range . Buy a cooling pad AMD minimize for 2 mins in between while playing . You won't face any issues . Relax . Dv 6 heated to 100 degrees.

demolisher48

Journeyman
I dont think there is any need to worry . All ivb laptops go to 80+ and all Gt650s touch 90s its not a Samsung problem . Any laptop with thwse specs heats up . Even the macbookpro heats up . You won't find these specs in these specs in this price range . Buy a cooling pad AMD minimize for 2 mins in between while playing . You won't face any issues . Relax . Dv 6 heated to 100 degrees.

heating is not an issue for me but the drops in the fps is :(

ankeshdave

Game On !!
I dont think SMSUNG will MESS UP with this model. As this was SAMMY one of the widely released model. So if there is a issue...they have to solve it. They have won half the battle ( knocked of price market ) & midway of release of final software frm NVIDIA for GT650M. I think they can not mess up with this. I am feeling strong abt it tht throttle will be addressed in upcoming time.

BTW is there any laptop close to such premium specs. in this price range +5k

If the throttling is just the BIOS/Driver/Power Supply issue on gaming with heavy settings then i am sure it will be solved

But as said its a Deisgn Issue and even MoBo replacement wont rectify that.

As far as any Company is concerned replacement or a complete take off a product form a market might happen in US/UK or any other country where you can SUE them. But in india its usually a deffered thing cuz even when Hp laptop (acclaimed for overheating) fired the Mobo's only people having warranty we entertained (fired MoBo were changed). Usually products are discontinued after sometime and there is nothing left for the buyers :(

sakii

\m/ \m/
If the throttling is just the BIOS/Driver/Power Supply issue on gaming with heavy settings then i am sure it will be solved

But as said its a Deisgn Issue and even MoBo replacement wont rectify that.

As far as any Company is concerned replacement or a complete take off a product form a market might happen in US/UK or any other country where you can SUE them. But in india its usually a deffered thing cuz even when Hp laptop (acclaimed for overheating) fired the Mobo's only people having warranty we entertained (fired MoBo were changed). Usually products are discontinued after sometime and there is nothing left for the buyers :(

Dude....u r making me afraid.

pratyush997

Inactive
I wish I can go to arctic region and play MP3!!!

Everything in sammy absolutely roxx!! Except High temps....

IS there any way to boost up Fan....Noise is not a problem!!

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Why you want to go artic? Its very far. You can use your fridge too. And.. If people are saying like that then i have to go with dell 15r SE. Will U3 resolve problem?

sakii

\m/ \m/
well not everybody is having this problem. only two or three out of many have this problem so don't let it down to you

yup. Anyway I m buying.

Where is HAR By far he is the one without any issue and he has I5.

HAR need ur review on this lappy's working....u r the oldest user of this laptop here. Kindly pen down ur xperience ( hv u strtd facing FPS problm while using for long hours).

Last edited:

terrafield

Broken In
Could any 550P owners please run PCMark 7 benchmark and post the score? It would be really great to compare with other laptops like Inspiron 15RSE

antisocialbratt

Journeyman
Normal usage of over 10 hours a day including atleast 2 hours of fifa , surfing and one HD movie . CPU wont reach even 60-65 while usage and GPU 50 . While fifa they rise to about 70 .

And for the haters , you cant have an IVB with gt650m without it getting heated . Even a 2500$ Macbookpro heats more . New DV6\Asus n56 etc all heat up.

The inspiron doesnt have 900p display .Inspiron cant play max payne on high , and its CPU also gets hot . Get your facts right . And moreover it faces BSODs coz of the driver of its GPU.

I'm yet to see a single BSOD on my machine. Its been 2 weeks now. So Don't pull facts out of your bottom. At whatever settings it plays the games, atleast it gives a smooth playback instead of throttling. So don't be a fanboy and just accept that Sammy has done a blunder by putting such a cheap cooling in what otherwise is a great laptop.

The very fact that the discussion in the whole 15r Se thread is centered towards the drivers updates whereas in Sammy thread it is about the throttling and cooling pads tells any decent pc user what he need to know before a purchase.

Top Bottom