The Samsung Series 5 550P Laptops Thread

OP
har

har

In the zone
Guys I mentioned this earlier, I've installed Max Payne 3, the gameplay is decent during the first 10-15 mins i.e 40-50 fps, but then there is a drastic drop in frame rate to 8-10 fps, it stays at 8-10 fps for about 30-50 seconds, this happens even when paused!!! then it goes back up to 40-50 fps, and occurs again after every 2 mins. so every time there's a drop in frame rate I have to pause and wait for the fps to increase:-x, its really frustrating . This happens to NFS Hot pursuit also, but not as often.
the temperature is around 80-87 degree Celsius while gaming
I thought its a driver problem, so installed a Beta version driver released by Nvidia, but the problem remains. any ideas? is anybody facing something similar?
all settings are at high (not very high),
Vsync on, MXAA off, FXAA 4x......MP3 players what settings are you using and what frame rate do you get?

Happened to me twice during AC2. Its the throttling issue. Future updates will probably solve it as most of the new gt650m laptops suffer from this.

sakii

\m/ \m/
This Laptop Seems to be a real steel :-D:-D . Planning to buy this one...:cool:

But ..
Flipkart says its out of stock... :-( . This sucks :-(

I wish to buy this laptop... its not even available for display at Samsung showrooms (Pune[Maharastra],Indore[M.P]) ...

Does ne of you know ne good dealers in the above cities... :?::?:

Hoping to get a deal for 47-49k so that i can also bundle a laptop cooler (above threads mentioned some heating realted discussions) ..

R u willing to buy from PUNE by this weekend ?? Than reply.

OP
har

har

In the zone
My lappy runs hot ...at 0 load it 50C and while playing jc2 it crosses 93-94C

what is normal temps for lappy w/ i7 at 0 load???in ac room

Mine stays around 43-45 in hot kerala non AC.
At nights,it even stays at 37 non AC.

gunner_kanishk

Journeyman
Guys I mentioned this earlier, I've installed Max Payne 3, the gameplay is decent during the first 10-15 mins i.e 40-50 fps, but then there is a drastic drop in frame rate to 8-10 fps, it stays at 8-10 fps for about 30-50 seconds, this happens even when paused!!! then it goes back up to 40-50 fps, and occurs again after every 2 mins. so every time there's a drop in frame rate I have to pause and wait for the fps to increase:-x, its really frustrating . This happens to NFS Hot pursuit also, but not as often.
the temperature is around 80-87 degree Celsius while gaming
I thought its a driver problem, so installed a Beta version driver released by Nvidia, but the problem remains. any ideas? is anybody facing something similar?
all settings are at high (not very high),
Vsync on, MXAA off, FXAA 4x......MP3 players what settings are you using and what frame rate do you get?

Are you playing on battery? And what power mode are you playing on?

There may be an occasional drop in fps but not that much, and not for that long. Something you're doing is probably wrong.

Btw, here are the Street Fighter X Tekken results via fraps.

2012-07-17 13:24:20 - SFTK
Frames: 7775 - Time: 129668ms - Avg: 59.961 - Min: 57 - Max: 61

All settings are high, screen res 1600X900, anti aliasing 4X. Vsync on.

*i.imgur.com/gvZEL.jpg
*i.imgur.com/4tKoC.jpg

CPU package max temp - 75 degrees.
GPU temp - 67 degrees.

:cool:

ankeshdave

Game On !!
R u willing to buy from PUNE by this weekend ?? Than reply.

I am willing to buy this by end of this month... (Ill be getting my salary by then :p)

Are dealers in pune givin a good deal. DCC in on JM Road have unusual extra prices.. Also they are not to cooperative..:-x

Do you happen to know ne one giving a nice deal :-D ??

dan4u

Took Off!!!
Happened to me twice during AC2. Its the throttling issue. Future updates will probably solve it as most of the new gt650m laptops suffer from this.
but does it occur every few minutes?? n whats throttling actually?
Are you playing on battery? And what power mode are you playing on?

There may be an occasional drop in fps but not that much, and not for that long. Something you're doing is probably wrong.
nope on AC power, in Turbo Mode, NFS seems ok for 30 mins, but MP3 drops to 8-10 fps after 10-15 mins, and then goes back up and again occurs after 2 mins. :-x. the funny thing is that it happens even when paused:-?.....hardware issue??

gunner_kanishk

Journeyman
I played it for over an hour last night without any issues whatsoever. Played FIFA for two hours straight after that and still faced no issues.
:-?

I think its just the temeratures causing this problem.

Make sure there is a gap between the laptop and the bottom surface(bed/table etc). Switch to high performance and turbo mode (for the fan). Switch the AC on if you can.

You shouldn't have this problem then. :\

Edit : Which variant do you have? i5/i7?

Last edited:

dan4u

Took Off!!!
I played it for over an hour last night without any issues whatsoever. :-?

I think its just the temeratures causing this problem.

Make sure there is a gap between the laptop and the bottom surface(bed/table etc). Switch to high performance and turbo mode (for the fan). Switch the AC on if you can.

You shouldn't have this problem then. :\

Edit : Which variant do you have? i5/i7?

yea must be, need to buy a cooling pad, I've kept it on a book till then:p....yesterday night I switched the internet off and played MP3, it was smooth with no lag, so I thought it was because of social club the lag occurred. Today with internet off the lag was again occurring, n I've got the i5 version....did you install the Beta driver??

gunner_kanishk

Journeyman
yea must be, need to buy a cooling pad, I've kept it on a book till then:p....yesterday night I switched the internet off and played MP3, it was smooth with no lag, so I thought it was because of social club the lag occurred. Today with internet off the lag was again occurring, n I've got the i5 version....did you install the Beta driver??

Yeah I'm running 304.79.

pratyush997

Inactive
Well Finally Switched to turbo Mode and temps were maxed at 92C
when Playing Just Cause 2 fps were above 140!!!!!!!!!!!Awesome
Don't know why Temps are rocking on 90s line???

OP
har

har

In the zone
but does it occur every few minutes?? n whats throttling actually?

nope on AC power, in Turbo Mode, NFS seems ok for 30 mins, but MP3 drops to 8-10 fps after 10-15 mins, and then goes back up and again occurs after 2 mins. :-x. the funny thing is that it happens even when paused:-?.....hardware issue??

Try this:
Dynamic frequency scaling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The new dv6 also has these problems. Try reducing graphics and play.
New drivers may remove the problem. I heard the upcoming 4** driver beta corrects it :-? Not really sure

daksh

Journeyman
Max Payne 3 about an hour and a half .
CPU MAX -90
Avg -80-85

GPU MAX - 86
GPU Avg - 82-83

1600*900 All high tesselation normal AA Anistropic 2x . Fps 32-33 .

A trick for longer durations - Minimize the game for about 2-5 mins gpu temps drop rapidly to under 70 and cpu around 70 then game again .
Also try changing the locations of the laptop as the area under it becomes quite hot hence it causes inefficient cooling .

Ill be installing BF3 next , will update about it whenever I do it .
Also, if you guys want a detailed review , what all should be in it , I'll do it with pics .

OP
har

har

In the zone
^^Ok wil post Screenshots by 7PM
Btw are the temps normal??

Edit:-How to maximize FAN speed

Yeah temp is pretty much normal. vsync will limit fps to 60 hence removing additional load. Temp should reduce I guess.

Regarding FAN, I really dont know. Rider doesnt seem to be around too :-x
Try Turbo mode :razz:

sanjoy.bose

Journeyman
You can use ThrottleStop in the future if you don't want to lose your TurboBoost, but for now a real quick solution ->

Step 1: Click the Battery icon, and click on "More Power Options"
Step 2: Click on "Change Plan Settings"
Step 3: Click on "Change advanced power settings" on your active plan. On the dialog box that appears, browse down on the "Processor power management" and on the "Maximum processor state". Put it at 99% if you just want to turn off TurboBoost's effective speed, or lower it even more if you find it still heats up.

Try and let me know. Later you can get some good advice from Sujay and rider.

to add more, it all depends on manufacturer in a nutshell of controlling it, but mainly happened for Turboboost of Intel... if you want, will provide details. Don't worry it's not very unusual but try to get a coolpad.

daksh

Journeyman
All 550p owners have you registered online for 1+1 warranty ? If yes how long did samsung take in calling you ?

Hrishi

Hey , after hell lot of bargaining at nehru palace , Delhi we purchased it at 56,900 with Headset,bag,4gb pendrive hp,screen protector ,mouse and cleaning kit.
Its core I7 version with 900p display.
*purcahsed it an hour ago.:p
Th JBL speakers are awesome!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom