The Samsung Series 5 550P Laptops Thread

pratyush997

Inactive
it throttle while playing game...I dont think it have any impact on life of laptop ....it throttles for just 3-4 mins i think ...as I play strategy and RPG more I dont feel it...maybe FPS games will be effected more
Okay so even S05 throttles. Hmm
FU sammy

n3rd

In the zone
it throttle while playing game...I dont think it have any impact on life of laptop ....it throttles for just 3-4 mins i think ...as I play strategy and RPG more I dont feel it...maybe FPS games will be effected more

Have you tried a cooling pad or something? Yeah shouldn't necessarily affect the life much, bet performance would go down considerably IMO.

KyleSforza

Banned
^ Throttling and high temps are in DNA of the S0# series ;)
Just because one is culprit doesn't mean entire race is. :p

Never seen a single throttling issue in S03 and S04 so far.

And IMHO, this is the first case where S05 is throttling too. :-?

^ is there any way to keep the gpu temp below 90C so that it doesn't throttles ? and what are the ideal temps of cpu and gpu for the s05in version ?
Yes, Don't play latest high end games. :p Play games like Fifa, PES etc lol

Man every laptop overheats when playing high end games, even Y500 does.

Weird enough it reaches 90C during games only, no matter how many apps you run, or even if doing hardcore 3D work, it won't throttle or cross 80C. The ideal temps differ between 45C-55C.

sujoyp

Grand Master
guys can u define throttling a bit more clearly...actually what happens??

my lappy's frame rated does goes down after 1-2 hrs of game play...but then it again becomes smooth

KyleSforza

Banned

my lappy's frame rated does goes down after 1-2 hrs of game play...but then it again becomes smooth

"In software, a throttling process, or a throttling controller as it is sometimes called, is a process responsible for regulating the rate at which application processing is conducted, either statically or dynamically.

For example, in high throughput processing scenarios, as may be common in online transactional processing (OLTP) architectures, a throttling controller may be embedded in the application hosting platform to balance the application's outbound publishing rates with its inbound consumption rates, optimize available system resources for the processing profile, and prevent eventually unsustainable consumption. In, say, an enterprise application integration (EAI) architecture, a throttling process may be built into the application logic to prevent an expectedly slow end-system from becoming overloaded as a result of overly aggressive publishing from the middleware tier."

In short, and more understandable words - Throttling is when a laptop overheats, and the processor, or GPU underclocks itself resulting in lower frame rates for a long time during gameplay.

For example - Lets say you're playing NFS MW 2013, for 20 minutes you played perfectly, but after 20 mins as soon as laptop got heated and reached the desired temps the chip underclocks itself to prevent it from getting damaged. It happened way too often in S02, the reason most of S02 users are now frustrated with Samsung because they feel cheated. :p

It hasn't been noticed ever since the release of S03 tho, and the problem fixed in even S02 in 90% of cases when the users got their motherboards and heatsinks replaced.

ariftwister

Truth Seeker

AFAIK when the cpu/gpu max temp increases, the gpu clock speed is scaled down so the frame rate drops. After the temp lowers, the frame rate increases to normal.

Correct me if I'm wrong guys

sujoyp

Grand Master
ook then I would just test my lappy again...in strategy games like civilization 5 it happens after 2-3 hrs but that can be also cause of too many movements in the map...I will check it in a fps game then would say..

Thanks for the info

TheSloth

The Slowest One

@deadzone:throttling is still there

ook then I would just test my lappy again...in strategy games like civilization 5 it happens after 2-3 hrs but that can be also cause of too many movements in the map...I will check it in a fps game then would say..

Thanks for the info

after 2-3 hrs is much better than my old S01. Laptop would start throttling within 1/2hr( NFSHP 2010).

deadzone

Journeyman
Swapnil,

So does it really affect game play,I am talking of games like far cry 3 ,BF3.

Will such games become unplayable after 2 hrs

KyleSforza

Banned
Swapnil,

So does it really affect game play,I am talking of games like far cry 3 ,BF3.

Will such games become unplayable after 2 hrs
It has no throttling, the poster confirmed it on facebook, its just sttutering in game after 2 hours.

and nope, that won't make game unplayable. New gen is not S02. :p

I'd suggest you join us on facebook to get your questions answered better and quicker.
*www.facebook.com/groups/NP550P5C/

thinkdigit123

Broken In
Hey all, I have been using this laptop (S05IN) for about 3 months. Except for its below par display and slightly inefficient cooling, the laptop is a 10/10 for its price (got it for around 57k from snapdeal.com).
It has the TN panel LTN156KT068 for display. You can read about how poor it is here.The poor contrast ratio and viewing angles are clearly noticeable. I will also advise you to try the ICC profile they have provided.That will at least in principle improve the color accuracy.
The touchpad and keyboard are more than decent. I haven't experienced any ghosting issues till now when using the keyboard (although I use a controller for gaming most of the time). The touchpad driver from Samsung lacks sensitivity settings and the touchpad is actually not sensitive enough (at least for me) with the default settings. But you can update the driver with the latest version from Synaptics and adjust sensitivity as you wish.
I also suggest you to use throttle stop (with the power saver option (in throttle stop) ticked and the multiplier value reduced) for normal usage. My CPU idles (Firefox open with around 6 tabs) at around 44-48C. The ambient temperature here is around 28C and I use a cooler (Notepal ErgoStand). You can turn off throttle stop with one click if you want to game. All the games I have tried runs smoothly when Maximum Processor State (in Advanced Power Settings) is set to 70% and CPU reaches a maximum of 84-86C while gaming.
Yeah, I forgot. I replaced the stock thermal paste with Cooler Master Extreme Fusion X1 the week I bought the laptop. It is pretty easy to open up the laptop. The procedure is almost as same the one for Asus N56V for which there is a video guide here
About the GPU, I haven't experienced any throttling while gaming. Although I have seen that the GPU throttles when its temperature goes above 90C which happened while using MSI Kombustor when I was in Chennai (where the ambient temperature was around 38-40C). But the core clock has never below 700Mhz even then But now when I run it again (Now I am in Kerala where the ambient temperature is around 28C), I get the following result.
*thumbnails107.imagebam.com/25690/471d38256894440.jpg

As you can see there is no throttling and GPU temperature settles at 86C after running for about 10 minutes. (I don't know where that Max value of 88C came from, may be the fan speed changed!). Believe me, no game will make use GPU as much as MSI Kombustor does and I can play games at high settings for hours. So no worries about GPU temperatures either as long you are in a sufficiently cool place (or equivalently not in Chennai :p).

PS: I am posting this using a "fake" account I got from bugmenot

Attachments

• temp.jpg
    temp.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

arka

Broken In
guys, want to know if anyone's display hinges' makes tik noise while closing ? Mine does.. Submitted it to service center ... They told it is normal, the locks on the hinges makes noise... Is it true ?

Top Bottom