The risk of downloading copyright material from internet....

Status
Not open for further replies.

monsursound

Broken In
Guys,i have seen people downloading loads of movies,music,games.....etc from torrent and other file hosting sites.How much is the risk of getting sued by RIAA or MPAA???Is it less risky in india???As i havent seen or heard anyone getting sued in india.Also some say that using file hosting site is safer than using torrent.Is it true???How???

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
That's not true, I remember someone getting sued for sharing copyrighted music on torrents. @OP Filehosting sites are safe, but not torrents. Stay away from torrents.

So, you saying, you have never used torrents!
Please don't scare away the lad!

sygeek

Technomancer
That's not true, I remember someone getting sued for sharing copyrighted music on torrents. @OP Filehosting sites are safe, but not torrents. Stay away from torrents.
:lol: :lol:

Police are unable to catch the criminals in real life, here in India, and we're talking about the virtual world.

@OP: Unless you're involved in other major activities (selling these pirated copies), or if you indulge in these activities in probable unsafe areas, you should STAY away. Other than that, JUST downloading copyrighted materials from torrent sites (or even uploading), you probably won't get into ANY possible trouble.

Not that I'm promoting piracy, I'm actually against it. I'm just making him aware of his statistical chances, i.e. 0%.

clmlbx

Technomancer
In India Nothing Can Happen.(nothing happen till now). If Indian Government started taking Piracy seriously then first they Should, and hope will start by Closing local Movie suppliers(Vcd's and DVDs).. And I believe Bollywood Industry is trying to do it from long time but Nothing Happens..

But some Actors and directors do it personally.. I Remember for Movie krissh. DVDs were available before Release(for what I remember release was postpone just befoe D-day). so I heard about Warnings Police gave to local shopkeepers not to distribute so soon.. or action will be taken.. and many more movies, like by Aamir khan and specially Salman Khan Recently.

In not far in future we will see Sharukh khan taking action for his Movie.. Ra-on.. With so Expensive movie He won't take any chances.. We will definitely see some ..(this action only last at most for couple of weeks after release that too for local shopkeepers) On internet everything is Available..

about RIAA or MPAA in India never heard of that.. If u r using torrents better get it from Private tracker and also from some respected/regular/usual groups.

As I Believe.. If some one would like to share more pls go ahead, never want to face the action..:sad:.

to be on Much safer side follow this guide lines..

1. Private tracker.
2. No personal info Directly .
3. use proxy
4. download from regular groups.
5. Start Downloading Couple of Days later after released on Internet.. so u will get info on it thru comments only on Private tracker.
6. Don't ever upload (seed but don't ushare somethng)
7. Don't make any profits from ur downloads..
8. Don't use for commercial purposes .

Last 2-3 years Back I read an interview of a man who used to sell dvds at VT in Mumbai. He himself said "what ever we sell it is already available for free on Internet.. ".. heard now no more stalls are seen on VT, yes business is still on. just no more stalls.

Last edited:

abhidev

Human Spambot
for that matter there's a pirated CD/DVD stall just in front of the Police chowki :rofl:

well how to find if its a private tracker?

clmlbx

Technomancer
Most Private tracker does not let u register easily.. Well u can't register on that Site. You are gonna need Invites(existing member invites you) for that.. or Give some donation..

rajnusker

Sage of the Six Paths
So, you saying, you have never used torrents!
Please don't scare away the lad!

Sometimes. 95% of the time I use filehosting sites. Torrents are slow. Private trackers are safer than the Public ones. Just get a get a fileserve account for $10 and download as much you want. :/

rajnusker

Sage of the Six Paths
6 MB/S!!! :shock:
what connection and what plan do you have???

Used to have, it was from a local internet supplier taking connections from Bharti Broadband. Sometimes the speeds used to go crazy, for a few hours i.e. Here's a Speedtest image few months back:

*i27.lulzimg.com/db1c0d82b4.png

^^It would go even higher like 47Mbps. I left the connection, and currently using BSNL EVDO. Altough the speed bumps are very rare, I experienced it not more than 4 times. But the feeling was awesome..

Sarath

iDota
Ofcourse you can get screwed but our law is weak. You have to be very unlucky to get caught by the copy right police. BTW they concentrate more on people supplying pirated disks, the source (copiers, master copy source etc).

Once that's done with, we would be paying fines. Till then, just take a wild guess, how long it will take them to succeed :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom