The Photography Thread

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
What's the use of UV filter?

You don't have to become an expert overnight, watch/read tutorials when you have spare time/interest. Slowly you will get the hang of it and you will start to see the difference. For a start, use auto tone/preset and keep it as starting point and slide up/down from there to your taste.

No it doesn't look good (NO OFFENSE), and yes it's overexposed. (See once you start you will start to see the difference ;) ) Among the photos, try PPing that landscape and the kid shot.

I haven't used any 3rd party presets, so no idea about it. I don't use auto tone either, it's better we do the changes ourselves.

BTW, please refrain yourself from posting big size images. 640px or max of 800px is good enough for web sharing. One it takes time to load, two have to scroll and view the picture (can't see the whole picture in one shot). Forum auto resize based on the width, not height. To explain it further, my screen res is 1440x900. That 900px is not fully available, browser menu bar, title bar, forum tabs, windows task bar takes some of the pixel and leaving me about ~680px, any thing more than that I have to scroll and view.

Sure :) Actually this time I uploaded them to imgur.com

Anyway, so Auto-Tone is not going to work right? I have to manually move the bar and guess which one is looking good.

BTW, I'm not sure why pictures looks underexposed as all these pics are taken on A mode with EV set to 0.

The UV filter? Actually one of my photographer friend told to get it, to protect the lens. He said it's better to clean the UV Filter instead of lens. And in case of scratches I can throw away the filter instead of repairing the lens. So is this one affecting the EV of the pics?

sujoyp

Grand Master
If you really need to use UV filter then get something from proper brand like Hoya and not something like photon :) any cheap glass put on lens will effect picture quality in one way or other...it can be exposure or color fringing or banding etc....its like wearing a spectacles on your eye...if you wear good quality you see clear else it will effect the eye sight itself

- - - Updated - - -

just saw your pics on last page...pics are nice just slightly underexposed...its a minor thing and can be easily rectified even in simple software like picasa ...it will hardly take a minute on each pic ;)

nac

Aspiring Novelist
BTW, I'm not sure why pictures looks underexposed as all these pics are taken on A mode with EV set to 0.
It's the choice of metering we use for a given scene. And sometimes the lightings are challenging, in such circumstances we can use exposure compensation to get it right. If you haven't read about basics, check my signature for links for photography basics.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
If you really need to use UV filter then get something from proper brand like Hoya and not something like photon :) any cheap glass put on lens will effect picture quality in one way or other...it can be exposure or color fringing or banding etc....its like wearing a spectacles on your eye...if you wear good quality you see clear else it will effect the eye sight itself

- - - Updated - - -

just saw your pics on last page...pics are nice just slightly underexposed...its a minor thing and can be easily rectified even in simple software like picasa ...it will hardly take a minute on each pic ;)

I use Hoya only.

It's the choice of metering we use for a given scene. And sometimes the lightings are challenging, in such circumstances we can use exposure compensation to get it right. If you haven't read about basics, check my signature for links for photography basics.

Yes, I'm aware about Metering. All pics are shot in Matrix Metering.

Though, I'm still confused about Spot and Center Weighted Metering. I'll surely go through the links to get an better idea. :)

Thanks [MENTION=125321]nac[/MENTION] and [MENTION=39722]sujoyp[/MENTION] for the suggestions and correcting me :)

sujoyp

Grand Master
good that you use Hoya :) then definitely its an issue with metering...matrix takes an average of light around..maybe it was getting darker at that time.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
*farm2.staticflickr.com/1460/25616236365_d02a23f376_z.jpg

*farm2.staticflickr.com/1716/25785894696_a6e09950e2_z.jpg
My edit of these two

*i102.photobucket.com/albums/m108/tkphotos1/krish-landscape_zpsl3mlozlz.jpg

*i102.photobucket.com/albums/m108/tkphotos1/krish-port_zpscglauhma.jpg

nac

Aspiring Novelist
@nac Wow!! Looks great!! Any tips on PP?
- Use histogram to help you gauge the exposure
- Don't clip highlights/shadows
- When working on portraits, don't increase saturation for the skin or at least don't over do it.
- Keep things subtle, don't have to overdo it.
- Last but not the least, get PP tips from someone good. ;)

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
- Use histogram to help you gauge the exposure
- Don't clip highlights/shadows
- When working on portraits, don't increase saturation for the skin or at least don't over do it.
- Keep things subtle, don't have to overdo it.
- Last but not the least, get PP tips from someone good. ;)

Truly speaking, none of that made any sense to me :p

I'll try to go through more tutorials.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
what do you do after understanding the exposure using histogram? is it for colour correction, as in whitest pixel should be pure white and darkest pixel should be pure black?

nac

Aspiring Novelist
what do you do after understanding the exposure using histogram? is it for colour correction, as in whitest pixel should be pure white and darkest pixel should be pure black?
I adjust exposure after understanding the histogram. Do I check histogram for each and every photographs? NO. When the photographs looks good, I don't do much processing hence don't review the histogram.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
uh ok by what logic do you adjust the exposure apart from perfect colour correction
I think it's based on my taste which I developed (like most) by seeing other photographs and being said what is good/bad, taking comments and critics.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
ok yep, fair enough, that is what a professional layout artist told me
sure, the way to do it is to go with what looks good
but you also need to have an idea of what looks good, or develop that taste

sujoyp

Grand Master
I too do PP purely according to my taste ..how much exposure, how much saturation, how much shadow..all depends on my preferences...no hard n fast rule here

Top Bottom