The Photography Thread

abhidev

Human Spambot
[MENTION=39722]sujoyp[/MENTION] these are the pics I uploaded on instagram sometime back...and I don't have the originals with me...have downloaded it from instagram which are now of low quality :(

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Well ,these flowers are actually much smaller in reality.!! ( The image is not cropped either ) Not sure if , 18-55 will be able to magnify so much. I have taken these shots at a distance of ~1.25mtrs away from the subject at a focal length of 300mm.
I will try a macro shot with 18-55 though. But I am pretty sure , my both lenses are not much good when it comes to sharpness ,( without any editing ).
Next week I am planning to visit nearby showrooms for checking various lenses. I will see a demo of the lens quality and sharpness.

The Canon 18-55 can do even water drops so I'd guess the Sony one too. The trick here is that these lenses should focus really close (~under 10cm away from the lens).

Are you pixel peeping ? Because, while I realise that the primes are definitely sharper, the difference isnt huge by any means and I consider myself to be pretty demanding. Can you share some examples of what you think are poor sharpness ?

You may want to check is its a lack of sharpness or just image out of focus (the beep sounded by the camera is no guarantee that you have good focus) You might want to go Live View mode and use magnify option to get precise focus under Manual focus, and then compare the sharpness.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
^^ Kit lens is as good as L lens when it is stopped down to f/8 or so as far as sharpness is concern. - Quote from digitalrev.

Hrishi

Good pic [MENTION=84261]abhidev[/MENTION].
I feel you can also compose a blacked-out version of this . I.E. completely shadow the monument , it'll also seem good.

Hrishi

The Canon 18-55 can do even water drops so I'd guess the Sony one too. The trick here is that these lenses should focus really close (~under 10cm away from the lens).

Are you pixel peeping ? Because, while I realise that the primes are definitely sharper, the difference isnt huge by any means and I consider myself to be pretty demanding. Can you share some examples of what you think are poor sharpness ?

You may want to check is its a lack of sharpness or just image out of focus (the beep sounded by the camera is no guarantee that you have good focus) You might want to go Live View mode and use magnify option to get precise focus under Manual focus, and then compare the sharpness.

Yeah , I do magnify the image close enough to see the individual pixels , but they are not that sharp. I will post some samples . You can check to see if the lenses are not that good or whether it's my in-experience in stabilizing and properly focusing the shot.
( I don't use auto-focus in most of the cases , could that be one reason ?? .)

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Yeah , I do magnify the image close enough to see the individual pixels , but they are not that sharp. I will post some samples . You can check to see if the lenses are not that good or whether it's my in-experience in stabilizing and properly focusing the shot.
( I don't use auto-focus in most of the cases , could that be one reason ?? .)

Could be. Does your EVF have indicators for pointing focus peaking ?

In any case, you have a better chance of getting a non-blurry macro shot with a 18-55 than a 70-300. Thats just physics at work. But yeah, bokeh generally looks better on the 70-300 I guess. Its a tradeoff.

- - - Updated - - -
[MENTION=84261]abhidev[/MENTION] : You really need to stretch that image to make the sides parallel IMO. The lack of parallel lines is a big downer.

chitvan

Journeyman
[MENTION=133614]kapil[/MENTION]: well captured, sunset pic is awesome
[MENTION=128954]sujoy[/MENTION]: nice clicks, the pic with boat is nice.... Try same in cloudy season.

sujoyp

Grand Master
thanks [MENTION=10032]chitvan[/MENTION] ....in rainy season the lake is full ...no place to even walk there around the lake :)

abhidev

Human Spambot
[MENTION=119687]pranav0091[/MENTION] stretch as in ?
[MENTION=39722]sujoyp[/MENTION] yea....Instagram has optimized it...I have the original for these...will post over the weekend

Thanks everyone

- - - Updated - - -

here's another one :D

*farm8.staticflickr.com/7146/13662496425_9e4f04ab08_o.jpg

Gen.Libeb

Padawan
[MENTION=84261]abhidev[/MENTION]: I really like the Taj pic in #9471, There are so many pics with that composition, but your one is very good.

kaz

right here
I'm back :D
These pics are taken from a fast moving train while travelling to Howrah. So things might not be that sharp.

*farm4.staticflickr.com/3724/13865717983_9ef6ac76ac_z.jpgRiver

*farm4.staticflickr.com/3784/13866317734_4c57ea7d6f_z.jpgFlowers

*farm8.staticflickr.com/7198/13866018333_5806a8dae6_z.jpgSunset

- - - Updated - - -

My first Panorama:
*farm4.staticflickr.com/3796/13867023473_6583eec5cc_c.jpgMy College from my hostel

Top Bottom