The Photography Thread

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
We don't have to focus manually in fully manual mode? I guess we've to, correct me if i'm wrong. Plus i guess in fully manual mode, autofocus is not available, manual focus is there, isn't it ? And i didn't changed those settings, as i thought to leave them as they were just to test. One more question, what's telephoto lens and what its used for?

sujoyp

Grand Master
sorry I dont have much idea about SX130IS maybe someone having sx120IS or SX130IS may help you

telephoto is nothing but more zoom lens...in photography even 18-55mm is called standard zoom lens...A telephoto lens are like nikkor 55-200,70-300, 80-200, 100-400, 50-500

Yesterday evening Nagpur sky

*lh5.googleusercontent.com/-O9DHCXTfF-A/TngZQhmq0dI/AAAAAAAAGwQ/3AIgxkLO_Jo/s800/DSC_7904.JPG

Last edited:

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Thnx, actually i went for getting photos clicked (passport), so asked the studio photographer that he used which cam and lens, he answered Nikon D80 and telephoto lens. I guess telephoto lens isn't used for such close ups ? I guess kit-lens would be perfect for it.

sujoyp

Grand Master
yaah but 55-200 lens can work as nice portrait lens...18-55 is not a good portrait lens...but best for landscapes.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
If i'm correct a 55-200 lens has more zoom than 18-55, then how its better suited for portrait, which requires appx no zoom at all. Correct me if i'm wrong.

PS- nice landscape pic of urs :) Can u post a full size pic link ?

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
If i'm correct a 55-200 lens has more zoom than 18-55, then how its better suited for portrait, which requires appx no zoom at all. Correct me if i'm wrong.

yes u right...u have seen 20X or 35X optical zoom digicams from SONY,Lumix etc...just observe their focal range...

sujoyp

Grand Master
@sujay...I know portrait lens do not need much zoom ...people use fixed focus or prime for portraits ...the most popular portrait focal length are 35mm (which become around 50mm on DX format),50mm, and 85mm

using 55-200 u will get a bit of working distance with zoom...you can take the portrait from even some distance...its good for learning:-D

On your request I uploaded the High resolution pic. *picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Ds-RUFzBcd--jLdxhBS0VA?feat=directlink

@rhitwick no , I have not even done anything at all except cropping the top to make it in 16:9 resolution:))

2 more from my side :D

*lh6.googleusercontent.com/-DVMUx3sw0Ao/TniQrbuMDwI/AAAAAAAAGwg/gMFmjZanImk/s800/DSC_8032.JPG

Last edited:

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
@sujay...I know portrait lens do not need much zoom ...people use fixed focus or prime for portraits ...the most popular portrait focal length are 35mm (which become around 50mm on DX format),50mm, and 85mm

using 55-200 u will get a bit of working distance with zoom...you can take the portrait from even some distance...its good for learning:-D

On your request I uploaded the High resolution pic. *picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Ds-RUFzBcd--jLdxhBS0VA?feat=directlink

2 more from my side :D
*lh6.googleusercontent.com/-DVMUx3sw0Ao/TniQrbuMDwI/AAAAAAAAGwg/gMFmjZanImk/s800/DSC_8032.JPG

*lh5.googleusercontent.com/-6tFKNJKw97M/TniQsoWyjOI/AAAAAAAAGwk/kNbILNmTq_Y/s640/DSC_8035.JPG

That studio photographer said the telephoto lens he used was of 35k :shock: I mean wtf, 35k lens for taking portrait photos, which can be done finely by kit lens i guess? Isn't that a overkill?

using 55-200 u will get a bit of working distance with zoom

You mean the coverage of lens will be more without moving away?
and thnx for uploading the high reso pic :) What ISO you used for it? Any other settings/tips for taking low light landscapes better ?
Thnx for ur explanations :) I have actually just started learning photography. :noob:

PS- you click some real nice macros, first one is awesome. Plus in second one, i guess the balls are not in the range of focus, if they'd have been, it'd have been better, for viewing purpose :p Don't take my comments as critic, am just presenting a noob's view :D

sujoyp

Grand Master
@sujay ...1st I feel very strange calling you sujay coz my name is sujoy :D

I was just going to remove the 2nd pic coz I am going to take a better in-focus shot tommorow....thank you for your feedback :)

35k telephoto lens...I suppose he may be using nikkor 18-200 VR which cost around the same

u can read all EXIF details (setting details) from the image it self using any photoediting software..I use irfanview to see these
View Photograph EXIF Metadata Inside IrfanView - IrfanView

BTW I have taken the evening pic at ISO400...

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
:lol: i know it kinda feels weird :D but i'm okay with it :)
Thank god this n00b's feedback was correct (may be partially) :p You're wc btw :) I hope a more profesional pic from you :)
Tell me about this F-number. When its set like F/10 or F/2.4 ?? I guess it decides magnicication, and has anything it got to do with "aperture" ?

u can read all EXIF details (setting details) from the image it self using any photoediting software..I use irfanview to see these
View Photograph EXIF Metadata Inside IrfanView - IrfanView

I guess we can see most of the details (EXIF metada) through windows "properties" also.

*i.imgur.com/NOSGv.jpg

pratik385

In the zone
sorry I dont have much idea about SX130IS maybe someone having sx120IS or SX130IS may help you

telephoto is nothing but more zoom lens...in photography even 18-55mm is called standard zoom lens...A telephoto lens are like nikkor 55-200,70-300, 80-200, 100-400, 50-500

Yesterday evening Nagpur sky

*lh5.googleusercontent.com/-O9DHCXTfF-A/TngZQhmq0dI/AAAAAAAAGwQ/3AIgxkLO_Jo/s800/DSC_7904.JPG

miss nagpur man also amravati :/

sujoyp

Grand Master
Thanks toofan for liking

@sujay...read this for aperture (f-numbers) What is aperture? | Photography Basics
its not related to magnification but related to total light entering in the camera through lens opening :D

and thanks for that idea to see exif details in properties...I never tried that

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
@sujay...read this for aperture (f-numbers) What is aperture? | Photography Basics
its not related to magnification but related to total light entering in the camera through lens opening :D

that

Ok i'll check it out, and i'll soon clear concepts about photography ;)

and thanks for that idea to see exif details in properties...I never tried

Your wc :), I always used that way to see EXIF metadata since beginning, why to use 3rd party if you can see it from windows :)

toofan

Technomancer
*farm7.static.flickr.com/6163/6168211375_85bf23faa7_z.jpg
DSC0108 by toofan.v, on Flickr

Details of setup at Flickr Account.

kjuvale

Pharmaguru
@Toofan: great portrait, nice lighting.

here are some from me

*farm7.static.flickr.com/6168/6180650699_e9cc6250d5_z.jpg
Andernach by digitman2006, on Flickr

*farm7.static.flickr.com/6175/6182392791_f0a44b45f5_z.jpg