The Official Windows 7 Discussion Thread

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
^^ @jenimukanna : Compare Windows 7

a more detailed and sophisticated comparison @wikipedia : Windows 7 editions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BTW, a simple Google revealed that..

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ mastercool8695 - about your HDD issue have a look at this :
*support.microsoft.com/kb/977178

Switched back to 7 from 8. Feels like heaven. Now everything is in its proper place. <3

good for you ;-) even I was thinking of changing back to win 7 two days back due to some issues with wifi and BT in win 8 but now that I've fixed everything the plan of going back can wait for sometime.

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
i want to create a windows backup using action center and save to my 500GB external hdd. Will that erase all content currently residing in HDD?

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=11078&stc=1

Don't know what fcuk has happened to my pc!! I ran the backup but it didn'tcomplete successfully coz of some I/O error (don't remember the errorcode).
But now the computer wont login, problem persists coz my keyboard isnt working (was using onscreen keyboard). And when I click the ease of access icon on the lower left of login, the window would pop up of different ease of access tools but nothing gets selected, that's where it hangs! I can see the cpu LED of lappy as persistently being ON indicating computer is doing something but dnt know what.
I know a simple solution like getting an external keyboard would solve the problem by may be performing start-up repair after pressing F8 but I wanted to purchase a wireless keyboard . Would a wireless keyboard work automatically without some initial manual configuration?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 180

Vignesh B

Youngling
^^
  • 7601.17514.101119-1850_Update_Sp_Wave1-GRMSP1.1_DVD.iso - This DVD image contains standalone update for all architectures.
    windows6.1-KB976932-X86.exe - This application installs Sp1 to a 32-bit machine running Windows 7.
    windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe - This application installs Sp1 to a 64-bit machine running Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2.
    windows6.1-KB976932-IA64.exe - This application installs Sp1 to an Itanium 64-bit Windows Server 2008 R2.
    Windows_Win7SP1.7601.17514.101119-1850.X86FRE.Symbols.msi - Standalone debugging symbols (free) for 32-bit machines.
    Windows_Win7SP1.7601.17514.101119-1850.X86CHK.Symbols.msi - Standalone debugging symbols (checked) for 32-bit machines.
    Windows_Win7SP1.7601.17514.101119-1850.AMD64FRE.Symbols.msi - Standalone debugging symbols (free) for 64-bit machines. This contains debugging symbols for both Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1.
    Windows_Win7SP1.7601.17514.101119-1850.AMD64CHK.Symbols.msi - Standalone debugging symbols (checked) for 64-bit machines. This contains debugging symbols for both Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1.
    Windows_Win7SP1.7601.17514.101119-1850.IA64FRE.Symbols.msi - Standalone debugging symbols (free) for Itanium 64-bit machines.
    Windows_Win7SP1.7601.17514.101119-1850.IA64CHK.Symbols.msi - Standalone debugging symbols (checked) for Itanium 64-bit machines.

• So windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe is your answer.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
has win7 sp1 provided in any of the digit dvd ???

Of course, they keep providing all kinds of service packs and software updates (like framework). But dont ask in which month it is exactly. :p

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
Need tool/gadget to monitor CPU & GPU temperature on Professional x64 of my rig. I want it to monitor the temperature & whether the cabinet is placed correctly with proper ventilation. One which doesn't eat CPU & RAM while running is desired. Suggestions?

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Need tool/gadget to monitor CPU & GPU temperature on Professional x64 of my rig. I want it to monitor the temperature & whether the cabinet is placed correctly with proper ventilation. One which doesn't eat CPU & RAM while running is desired. Suggestions?
CPU-Z & GPU-Z,SpeedFan

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
to make it look like "some stupid System file" for others, make it to a zip file and change the extension to other like .tmp or .dll or .cab .lqr or .efs or .egt or something like that. (google for some more system file extensions that can take so much memory generally.)
Plus nobody would try to delete a system file.
:D
and you may open it with Zip whenever you like.

BTW, i wonder what
my personal files
might mean
:lol: :D

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
to make it look like "some stupid System file" for others, make it to a zip file and change the extension to other like .tmp or .dll or .cab .lqr or .efs or .egt or something like that. (google for some more system file extensions that can take so much memory generally.)
Plus nobody would try to delete a system file.
:D
and you may open it with Zip whenever you like.

BTW, i wonder what might mean
:lol: :D

Don't get any naughty ideas ;-)

Isn't the container file visible?

anyway, password protect "personal files" in a zip archive with strong encryption and create multiple copies - you just can't get a file from being deleted if some one else has access to your pc when you are not in front of it. You can create multiple accounts in windows with proper permission and access level so that a person can't just delete the file and there's 3rd party softwares to hide file/folders.

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
Another risky feature (if you can call it risky) I found in TrueCrypt was there was no way to recover your lost/forgotten password :shock:.
This happened immediately when I created a container file of 4 GB & forgot the password :-D. Luckily, I didn't put anything over that container since I was testing it. But be aware.

I forgot my password – is there any way ('backdoor') to recover the files from my TrueCrypt volume?

We have not implemented any 'backdoor' in TrueCrypt (and will never implement any even if asked to do so by a government agency), because it would defeat the purpose of the software. TrueCrypt does not allow decryption of data without knowing the correct password or key. We cannot recover your data because we do not know and cannot determine the password you chose or the key you generated using TrueCrypt. The only way to recover your files is to try to "crack" the password or the key, but it could take thousands or millions of years (depending on the length and quality of the password or keyfiles, on the software/hardware performance, algorithms, and other factors). If you find this hard to believe, consider the fact that even the FBI was not able to decrypt a TrueCrypt volume after a year of trying.

Source: *www.truecrypt.org/faq

Last edited:
Top Bottom