The Official Windows 7 Discussion Thread

gameranand

Living to Play
Another risky feature (if you can call it risky) I found in TrueCrypt was there was no way to recover your lost/forgotten password :shock:.
This happened immediately when I created a container file of 4 GB & forgot the password :-D. Luckily, I didn't put anything over that container since I was testing it. But be aware.

Source: TrueCrypt - FAQ (answers to frequently asked questions)

Yes I am well aware of that. :)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ then he should probably hide it inside system32 folder but with a dll extension some virus can corrupt the file as sometime they wants to modify such system files ( like dll for instance ).

BTW, about the TrueCrypt I think there's a backdoor built into it but it's not just visible to anyone but people with special privilege might have access to it ;-)

gameranand

Living to Play
^^ then he should probably hide it inside system32 folder but with a dll extension some virus can corrupt the file as sometime they wants to modify such system files ( like dll for instance ).

BTW, about the TrueCrypt I think there's a backdoor built into it but it's not just visible to anyone but people with special privilege might have access to it ;-)

Then the developers are lying to us. :|

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent

not every body knows that system files belong to system32 folder ?? :mrgreen:
anyways, i was just keeping my views on the table, haven't used truecrypt or any other encryption program.
many ways to lock folders and files though, I had some TXt file haviong many of them have to search my old folders for it though.
searching for those.
:D

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Then the developers are lying to us. :|

the devs can't always make their own choices ;-) there's an article on techarp on this backdoor thing.

not every body knows that system files belong to system32 folder ?? :mrgreen:
anyways, i was just keeping my views on the table, haven't used truecrypt or any other encryption program.
many ways to lock folders and files though, I had some TXt file haviong many of them have to search my old folders for it though.
searching for those.
:D

yep, it's somewhat safe as you are the only one who knows about it ;-)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Difficult but not impossible .. anyway, did you check the article on techarp ?

BTW, there's good news for Vista and Windows 7 users :
Microsoft Finally Adds RAW Support to Windows Explorer

gameranand

Living to Play
Difficult but not impossible .. anyway, did you check the article on techarp ?

BTW, there's good news for Vista and Windows 7 users :
Microsoft Finally Adds RAW Support to Windows Explorer

Yeah I did and it worries me. Not for my own data's security but world's data.

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
In my 500 GB HDD, I have 4 partitions (C,D,E,F). I purchased my desktop a month ago & unfortunately, the stupid computer guy made just a 50 GB partition for the system (C, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit).

1. Is there anyway I can increase the size of this partition without having to reinstall the operating system?

2. If not, can I make a backup of the present state of Windows, including all the software/updates installed, to my external HDD & after increasing the size of the partition, restore the backup? How to restore that backup? Do I have to first install Windows & then perform the restore or executing the backup directly from the HDD will install Windows with the saved software/updates?

3. Any good backup programs? (EaseUS, Acronis are on my mind though I haven't had good experience while 'playing' with Acronis in the past :lol: ).

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
You can simply evacuate contents of the next physical drive, most probably, D drive, then delete the drive, and finally increasing the size of C drive to accommodate the D drive.
I guess you can try if Windows default Disk management allows you to increase the drive (I know it allows shrink for sure).

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
Installed EaseUS Partition Master Free Edition. After installation, it changed my system setup inadvertently: installed some software called Snap.Do, changed the homepage of browser to snap.do or something like that & changed the default search engine (google) to WebSearch. These changes executed despite any information about them during installation. So, cheap tactics by EaseUS. They did ask whether to install TuneUP Utilities which I didn't.
Anyways, this is the screenshot of the present state of my hard disk.
Note: Disk 1 is the Internal HDD. Disk 2 is the External/Portable HDD. Disk 3 & Disk 4 are of Samsung Galaxy Ace which was connected in USB Storage mode at the time of taking the screenshot.
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=11615&stc=1

I have transferred the contents of E: to another & I want to take 50 GB of E: & merge it with C:. But when I select "Merge Partition" from C: (by right-click) then E: is not highlighted:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=11616&stc=1
From that setup, what I can make is I can merge D: with C: as it is not grayed. But I cannot move the contents of D: since its my game directory & I have 'installed' games in that directory. Whether it is safe to move the installed files, I don't know. So, I need a way to merge 50 GB of space of E: to C:. I have tried Deleting E: & selecting Re-size partition from C: but 100GB Unallocated Space is grayed whereas the 100MB Unallocated space is always there to merge.

Last edited:

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
I performed the above operations. Now I have:
C: -->> 108 GB
D: -->> 53 GB
E: -->> 304 GB.
which is what I wanted eventually.

EaseUS Partition Master Free Edition wasn't able to merge C: (system drive) & D:. So, I used Acronis Disk Director 11 which merged the two after rebooting but before Welcome screen.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
thanks for the info .. so EaseUS Partition Master Free Edition is not so good like they advertise and Acronics really rocks ! No wonder this is the reason why Seagate and WDD choose Acronics.

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
Before merging I backed up data of D:. The Usage was as such:
80GB used out of 112 GB. I used EaseUS ToDo Backup software Free edition. When you execute backup, you get some choices which include like Beginner, Medium, Sector by Sector with each taking up more space in the order Sector by Sector > Medium > Beginner. I chose Medium & the backup data takes , strangely, 174 GB space , :eek:!

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
I have transferred the contents of E: to another & I want to take 50 GB of E: & merge it with C:. But when I select "Merge Partition" from C: (by right-click) then E: is not highlighted:

One thing I learned here is that only the two partitions which are 'adjacent' in memory to each other will be merged, which makes sense going by the alphabetical letters of the drives. Here C: is adjacent to D: but not adjacent to E: , so it cannot be merged with E: but D: can be merged with E: (& also C: ) & so on.

Last edited:
Top Bottom