The Official Windows 7 Discussion Thread

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Windows 7 beta is just released & Microsoft is planning for a 2nd quarter release of Windows this year. You can grab Windows 7 beta either from torrents of from Official Windows 7 Beta Customer Preview Program. Please use this thread to discuss all queries & bugs related to Windows 7, State what bugs you find here & what applications are working fine/not working

Caution : Windows 7 has a bug in WMP12 due to which it can corrupt your mp3 files. Make sure you install KB961367.

If you are using a dual boot setup like I am then do not install Nokia PC Suite on Windows 7. Doing so will wipe all the settings from Vista's partition too

The key you get from Official Beta download website will be for Beta version only & will not install on Windows 7 final version.

You can still use Windows 7 for up to 4 months by Rearming Windows Activation.

The original built number is 7000.
Before you proceed...

1.Windows 7 is not a trialware. The 30 days time period is for Activation only. If you do not activate Windows in the 30 days time period, then kindly uninstall it.

2.You can install Windows 7 without burning a DVD.
i.Mount the ISO using a Virtual CD Software such as Daemon Tools & run Setup.
ii.Select to download any update required & send feedback to Microsoft because this is beta version.
iii.Select to do a custom install during installation & not an upgrade.
iv.Give the path of an empty partition. Windows 7 requires at least 11 GB of hard disk space for installation.
v.Proceed with installation.

3.The best place to find drivers for Windows 7 is Windows Update which has latest version of all Windows 7 compatible drivers. If you are unable to find a driver for Windows 7 then you can install Windows Vista driver in compatibility mode using this method...

Right click on the Driver Setup file -> Compatibility -> Windows Vista

4.You can provide feedback only if you have an activated copy of Windows 7. Please do not close services like Automatic Update, Bits & Windows Error reporting.

5.Windows 7 is like Windows Vista from inside due to which many drivers, applications & system tweaking commands will work same as in Vista.

6.If you are using a Dual boot Setup along with your existing operating system then you do not need to reinstall all the applications again to use them in Windows 7. Start the setup of your application & during the installation give the installation path as \old OS drive\Program Files\Folder in which the same application is installed in the old OS. This way Windows 7 will just make new settings for Windows 7 in its own Drive.

7.If you are using Windows Vista & dual booting Windows 7 then you can use the old settings again without re-configuring everything again, as long as the application does not saves settings in registry. To do this just copy the application’s “Settings Folder” from Windows Vista & paste it in Windows 7. Usually they are in \users\username\appdata\locale & \users\username\appdata\Roaming\ folder. Paste them to the similar folder in Windows 7’s drive.

Keep an eye on my blog for some updates & things people usually miss in Windows 7 but they make a difference.

Last edited:

mrbgupta

Journeyman
*www.microsoft.com/betaexperience/productkeys/win7-32/enus/default.aspx

Is this page really opening? trying for last 1 hour without luck.

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
The key Servers are choked right now due to heavy traffic. The key you get from Official Beta download website will be for Beta version only & will not install on Windows 7 final version.

You can still use Windows 7 for up to 4 months by Rearming Windows Activation.

Last edited:

rollcage

AMD user for 9 yrs!!
Hey .. I have 6936-x64 installed.

these are not working..

1. Daemon Tools (plz tell me a alternative small on resources .. is there any like MS Virtual Drive Tool for XP)
2. Nokia Software Updater
3. Cannot play CBT Nuggets _ Windows Media Player doesnt recgnise WMV MSS2 Codec.

Regards..n let us know what u have explored till now saurav

connexion

Control Of Chaos
for info on how to install windows 7 using microsoft virtual pc check out this link
*www.mydigitallife.info/2008/12/24/...-vista-on-physical-machine-without-dvd-media/

No matter what I try, those "direct" links re-direct to Win 7 official Page even after copy-pasting it in the address bar on both IE7 and FF 3.1. :(

Is the public testing version out yet ?
I am planning to install it over Windows XP.
Tell me if it will run on 256MB RAM.
But yeah, I am getting 1GB if luck is still on my side.

redhat

Mad and Furious
Since the EULA says we can share the copy of windows 7 BETA freely, cant we share the license key for the beta??

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Hey .. I have 6936-x64 installed.

You will need to a do a clean install from a bootable DVD if this is the only OS installed in your PC.

1. Daemon Tools (plz tell me a alternative small on resources .. is there any like MS Virtual Drive Tool for XP)

Try installing Daemon Tools in Vista compatibility mode. If not then the MS Virtual Drive Power toy will work find with Windows

2. Nokia Software Updater

This won't work it seems. Mine isn't working either.
3. Cannot play CBT Nuggets _ Windows Media Player doesnt recgnise WMV MSS2 Codec.

Is it playing in some other media player like MPC which is also DirectShow based.

Regards..n let us know what u have explored till now saurav

Nothing, ATI drivers are giving problems & Windows is not booting now. Will remove the drivers from safe mode in evening. Right now in office

Is the public testing version out yet ?

Yes.

I am planning to install it over Windows XP.
Tell me if it will run on 256MB RAM.

No, it won't run. Stick to Linux. Windows isn't for you,

Since the EULA says we can share the copy of windows 7 BETA freely, cant we share the license key for the beta??

EULA says you can share the Copy of Windows 7, means the DVD. You cannot share the Key. The key will activate on one computer only.

Last edited:

abhisheksohal

Red till Death..
I plan to buy a laptop with 4 gb ram..and want to run windows 7 on it. Will I have to install Windows 7 64 bit on it ?? coz otherwise i think 512 mb ram of my laptop will get wasted. But then i think some programs,games etc. wont run on 64-bit OS..right?? If so then should i go for 32 bit windows 7 and sacrifice my 512 mb ram for the time being?? or is this the right time to shift to 64 bit?? Also can i do one thing that i have dual bootup with one 32 bit vista and 64 bit windows 7??

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
i had tested win7 64 bit (prebeta) and i had not faced any problem with compatibility. go ahead and download 64-bit version of win7.

abhisheksohal

Red till Death..
So will each and every 32-bit program which one usually uses like Office,antivirus,dap,media players,codecs,nero,acrobat reader,messengers and all latest games work on 640bit windows 7?? I searched on the net and found that crysis 32 bit doesn run on 64-bit ,any idea?? What about other game titles like gta4,nfs:uc,Pop etc.?? Please clarify everything.. thnx..

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
Having problem with the installation disk itself. I burned the image 5 times (two in DVD-Rs and they are both wasted :( & three in DVD-RWs) and everytime it does not boot and displays the following error:

Code:
BootCD: Cant boot from Disk. Error:5
People over the web had similar problems earlier and there is a solution with chaging "Number of loaded sectors:" from 1 to 4 in the "Boot" tab under "Enable expert settings" in Nero. But I don't see that thing in Nero 9.

Anyone having the same problem? Just wasted 2 disks now :(

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
Installed Windows 7, It asked me to install Antivirus scanner.

then in suggestion gave Nortan 360 version 3.0 BETA, anyone else running this version?

which AV should we use?

Last edited:

rollcage

AMD user for 9 yrs!!
oh ya... I finally done with download on my slow 256kbps DSL line .. 3.15Gbs ../
and Just finished fresh installation of Win7 x64 7000. (after customising using vlite to remove unrequired stuff, like Speech, Natural Language, and Windows Search).
*img74.imageshack.us/img74/4319/capturexk4.th.jpg

You will need to a do a clean instal;
Ya did a Clean Install (custom option).. but what the heck ya.. I was on x64 6936 built.. and still i had to complete reinstall.
Its high time the M$ guyz start supporting update like ubuntu n others.
I am not a linux fan but its like a necessity now..

Try installing Daemon Tools in Vista compatibility mode. If not then the MS Virtual Drive Power toy will work find with Windows
tried that but it didnt work even in compatibilty.
MagicISO suggest an optional Freeware .. Magic Drive.. tried that and that made my pc barbaad.. i mean read kharab. had to take the restore from Acronis Drive Backup.

Can you give me link for the MS Virtual Drive .. cant find the version for Vista x64!!

Windows Media Player Doesn't play WMV MSS2 Codec files
Is it playing in some other media player like MPC which is also DirectShow based.
Yes it played in MPC partially, but couldnt set the Fast Speed option, and This is the first video codec that I have seen that VLC refused to play.. amusing... strange ..

Anyways, I suppose M$ has fixed the issue of Windows Media Player 12 in build 7000.
Now, I can play my tutorials Videos in fast speed mode, without running a Vista in VM-Ware :D hahaha yippee..

and yes. . people .. install KB961367 to save ur MP3 files. available in x86 and x64 option

Nothing, ATI drivers are giving problems & Windows is not booting now. Will remove the drivers from safe mode in evening. Right now in office
ya it seems there is problem on my side too.. The HD 3200 driver was installed fine .. working good, but if i choose to install the optional upgrade in Windows update to .. new driver dated 30-12-2008.. its pre-wdm 1.1 something... that made display little weird .. so changed back the driver by choosing Roll-Back Driver.

Also, in optional Update there is a option to install 70Kb driver update to Realtek LAN, that also not recommended bcoz it made for internet to stop working. so had to rollback.

NOTE: so dont install these two in windows update!!

EULA says you can share the Copy of Windows 7, means the DVD. You cannot share the Key. The key will activate on one computer only.
I download the ORBIT_30 torrent file, where do I go for the key.

I plan to buy a laptop with 4 gb ram..Will I have to install Windows 7 64 bit on it ??
DUDE ......... INSTALL 64BIT OS !!!
forget x86 with that config..

Installed Windows 7, It asked me to install Antivirus scanner.
then in suggestion gave Nortan 360 version 3.0 BETA, anyone else running this version?
which AV should we use?
AV you can use any of the popular ones. Kaspersky, NOD32, AntiVir, etc.

I use NOD32 64bit ed v.3.0.884 + Windows Defender.
and have Spy Bot Search & Destroy installed with no TeaTimer (not running in realtime).

Last edited:
Top Bottom