The Official Windows 7 Discussion Thread

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ ajay2003 - check the if the windows version you installed is genuine or not like others suggested , contact Dell/MS technical support desk - if they are unable to solve this just use WGA Remover ;-)

ajay2003

Broken In
No i am not planning to run my PC with this. I will 1st contact to MS is something +ve did't comes out then surely i will go with topgear's suggestion of using WGA
What if i reinstall window 7 from the same dvd did i lost my data.

Siddharth_1

EXTREME
No i am not planning to run my PC with this. I will 1st contact to MS is something +ve did't comes out then surely i will go with topgear's suggestion of using WGA

MS would probably tell you to go Dell's service center, because the copy of that windows was not provided by them. So, you should consider going to Dell's service center first.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
@ajay2003 See when you reinstall Windows(or format) you usually wipe the C drive, its the drive where Windows was previously installed. The C drive also has important folders like My Documents etc
So take a backup of all documents, etc and format C drive. You will also need Setup files of all the software you previously had to reuse them in the new installation :wink:

Tech&ME

Banned
What if i reinstall window 7 from the same dvd did i lost my data.

As far as I remember, DELL doesn't give you Full Installation DVD. They provide Recovery DVD of the OS which came pre-installed on your lappy.

Before you contact DELL, I suggest you to take backup of all your data as other members have suggested above and then REPAIR your OS back to Factory Settings.

Press "F8" during boot (DELL LOGO SCREEN) and select REPAIR your installation of Windows 7 and in the next screen select Dell Factory Restore.

If this doesn't work contact DELL Helpline.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
@Shantanu @Topgear

I tried everything. But files wont come. I did a deep scan and all types of random .mp2 and .mp3 files were showing up which I never remember having in HDD.
Thanks for your help anyways :)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
open a command promt window with admin privilege and type these :

cd The 160GB Drive Partition:\The Missing folder name ( eg. D:\Games )

attrib -s -h The 160GB Drive Partition:\The Missing folder name ( eg. D:\Games )

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
@Topgear Thanks. But its not there. Once I even did a dir /ah but nothing came up. Had to finally format to reclaim the 60 gb data. Thanks again :)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ look at these ;-)

Browsing Skins & Themes on deviantART
Free Windows 7 Themes Download, Windows 7 Skins and Windows 7 Wallpaper, Windows 7 Themepack.

priyankashah

Broken In
Hi friends,

Please let me know how do I install Windows 7 on my Ubuntu laptop...I donno anything about ubuntu and even if Ubuntu is lost i don care..plz guide me urgently..

thanks
Priyanka

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Please let me know how do I install Windows 7 on my Ubuntu laptop...I donno anything about ubuntu and even if Ubuntu is lost i don care..plz guide me urgently..

First thing first. Give Ubuntu a try for at least a week. There are numerous advantages to do so. That includes, Open Source (translates to better Security), No tensions of Viruses infecting your system and Better customization from a list of many.

Now, to install W7 you don't require any knowledge of Ubuntu. If you want to overwrite Ubuntu just insert the installation disk for Windows 7 and boot from the disk. And just follow the instructions. Give at least 30-40 GB of disk space to C: drive (or on the drive where you want to install Windows), depending on how much total HDD space you have.

But if you want to keep Ubuntu as well, you just need to dual boot. In this case install Windows in a drive different from the one where Ubuntu is installed. You can identify the partition on which Ubuntu is installed by looking at its format (it will be usually show up as Unknown Partition on the screen where all partitions are listed.

If you are still confused, just google "How to install Windows 7 / How to dual boot Windows 7 with Ubuntu", and follow the first link.

priyankashah

Broken In
thanks Vyom for ur reply...

Just that i m more comfortable with win 7 dats y i want to install it.
I searched in google for the dual boot option but got none!!! all explained me hw to install ubuntu over win 7 but none explained win 7 over ubuntu and sm of them explained me the command line wich m very unsure of.

ok, i have a Win 7 OS in my pc. Its a .exe file along wid some folders. Also, I have created an ISO image form that. Now i don have a Win 7 CD so i hv to create from 1 of these. Plz tell me which one shud i burn into the DVD?? the .exe file or .iso file?? and if .exe, then shud i also include the remaining folders with it??

thanks
priyanka

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
^^ Well, no one is "comfortable" with a new thing. But one should give the "new thing" a fair chance to judge on the basis of "comfort level".

Anyway, about creating Windows 7 disk from those files, well, it wont work, unless you make it "bootable". The keyword is "bootable". If it's not bootable, it wont boot.

The best way to make a bootable windows disk is to make a USB disk. If your PC supports booting from a USB (it should, if your PC is not older than say 5 years) life would be so much simpler. Following link gives you proper instuctions to make a bootable Windows disk.
Tool To Create Windows USB Install Stick From Linux: WinUSB ~ Web Upd8: Ubuntu / Linux blog

And don't forget to try those command in the terminal. Your PC won't "explode"! :D

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
I searched in google for the dual boot option but got none!!! all explained me hw to install ubuntu over win 7 but none explained win 7 over ubuntu and sm of them explained me the command line wich m very unsure of.

Its possible but chances are of corruption of boot loader, so its not recommended for newbies.

Top Bottom