The Official Windows 7 Discussion Thread

amitava82

MMO Addict
Finally I decided to install it and did an upgrade from X64 Vista. Everything is working so far. Made a backup, so if anything goes wrong i'm gonna restore back. First impression? Does not boot any faster than Vista, in fact, bit slower. Probably all reviews of Windows 7 is done using clean installation. So it "feels" faster in terms of boot time. But it's more responsive than Vista.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
Microsoft needs to tune IE8, it keeps crashing again & again. IMO, its the most unstable part of windows 7.

It crashed 5 times, in past 2hrs:x
Installed firefox, which is much more stable;)

anyone knows how to remove it fully?

[edit]
anyone knows who do get Finderprint/Biometric devices working?

Last edited:

vandit

In the zone
ok so anyone facing problems with ATI 3450 gfx card ?? I am planning to do a virtual box installation...any special notes:?? apart from that mp3 fix ??

cooldudie3

Boom Boom Boom
Got Windows 7 running on my mac here using VirtualBox. Have Firefox, AVG Free and Live Essentials installed.
@vandit:
As long you have the drivers for Vista everything should work fine. I am runnning in VirtualBox in Mac OS 10.5.6 and everything is working fine. Games for sure will not work but everything will work in an acceptable speed.

@MetalheadGautham:
The RAM requirement is 1GB/1024MB. You can try to run it lower than the required amount and report what will happen. If it doesn't work install the 1GB RAM and reinstall the system.

@gary4gar:
I am using Windows Defender(included) and AVG 8 Free. They are both working fine and will turn off the Action Center notifications.

Last edited:

amitava82

MMO Addict
How the hell do you report bug? :mad: Don't tell me "Send Feedback" is the only way to do it.. anyway, I sent one.

sachin_kothari

Ambassador of Buzz
Running Windows 7 on 512 MB Ram and it feels as if i am running XP with Vista Look and Feel. Only sound drivers is an issue, rest all is fine.

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Microsoft needs to tune IE8, it keeps crashing again & again. IMO, its the most unstable part of windows 7.

You are using Windows 7 beta with IE 8 Beta, crashes happen. This is why you have the submit feedback button.

I uninstalled the ATI drivers & now using Windows 7 again. I don't even need to install some application again. I m just running small applications such as Google talk or yahoo messenger from Vista's
partition, they just create a new settings folder in Windows 7's Users folder.

Photoshop CS4 doesn't work this way though, but after installing it in Windows 7 at the same location of Vista it is working fine. Although crashes when I use the real time zoom function of Photoshop CS4. Windows Vista will still be my production OS as I don't want to reinstall everything in Win7.

Need for Speed Undercover works fine after installing the DirectX 9c run time. No need to reinstall, I am just using the old installation.

So far the applications I actually installed are

1) Windows Live writer to blog directly
2) Drivers for my hardware.
3) Adobe Flash runtime
4) Firefox cos without installation Roboform was not detecting firefox to install the roboform plugin. It is using the same old folder of profile as Vista
5) EasyBCD to configure boot options
6) IE pro 2.44

By the way, guys...what short name will u give to Windows 7? Windows Vista is now known just as Vista, but we just can't call Windows 7, 7..:D

Last edited:

rollcage

AMD user for 9 yrs!!
Hey this Media Player performance is way better than the earlier 64bit build.
and since the video codec are included does that mean we need not require Klite Mega Codec Pack in windows 7??

By the way, guys...what short name will u give to Windows 7? Windows Vista is now known just as Vista, but we just can't call Windows 7, 7..:D
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
ha i think thats why they calling it Windows 7 .. so no short form as such.

and dude I need 64bit Bluetooth Drivers .. where do I get it.?

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Hey this Media Player performance is way better than the earlier 64bit build.
and since the video codec are included does that mean we need not require Klite Mega Codec Pack in windows 7??

All my DivX, Mobile Phone's videos were playing fine but I just installed Vista codac pack in Compatibility mode & now decoding using FFDShow. You don't need it, so don't install it as long as u don't

and dude I need 64bit Bluetooth Drivers .. where do I get it.?
Either try Windows update or install BlueSoleil 5 in Vista Compatibility Mode.

have you guys noticed that Full screen Windows now have aero enabled.

IE 8's tabs are shown individually in superbar, but firefox's does not. It needs an API support in firefox to do so, waiting for an update.

Last edited:

sachin_kothari

Ambassador of Buzz
somebody help me with audio drivers for windows 7. i am using Yamaha DS-XG Sound Card. It does have driver for xp but not for vista. Please help me install it.

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
I don't think it will work anymore.

By the way, "Some people" got Windows 7 build 7012 installed:D

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
Bugs;

*I am trying to get Biometric devices to work, installed the driver but it crashes during the enrollment phase.

Workaround: None:(
*Internet stops working for no reason, even if your connection is working properly. Network dignostics shows some policy error(screenshot below)
*www.imgx.org/pthumbs/small/13756/networkError.png

Workaround: Disable IPv6

Where do i report bugs?
Microsoft connect?

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Warning : If you are using a dual boot setup like I am then do not install Nokia PC Suite on Windows 7. Doing so will wipe all the settings from Vista's partition too

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Warning : If you are using a dual boot setup like I am then do not install Nokia PC Suite on Windows 7. Doing so will wipe all the settings from Vista's partition too

Can you please update this in your first post with red forecolor so that users can be warned about this issue. :)

EDIT: fellow members, please do post your experience with Windows 7 here :). Though I got the keys for the beta, I dont have time to install Windows 7 at the moment :( .. will do it a week later..

Last edited:

blondie

Broken In
Got it running on my Linux, 64 on 64. Looks very light and snappy, though this is a first impression, will gradually put it through its paces.

*www.imgx.org/thumbs/large/29139_otabl/haha.jpg

As for the name, I would just call it Windows TEN. (2010)

Last edited:

blondie

Broken In
LoL not that much, says much about the hardware it is running on :p

And also its fresh,. nothing installed, all firewall and services disabled., etc., but a definite up from what Vista was.

And also, a full 10GB for just installation, without any apps loaded? That worries me.

Last edited:

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
I would call it "VISTA Final" or "VISTA Gone" or "VISTA Owned" :p

Last edited:

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Ok I installed Windows 7 , codnt resist myself looking at all the replies here and other places. Yes .. Microsoft got this right this time. My tv tuner worked after driver update. It was detected in media center too :D .. I was not able to achieve this in Vista.
Though Media Center Plays Live TV, the playback is sluggish, thats understandable as its still in beta.

One change which I didnt like is that for closing taskbar tabs I used to right click and again right click on close in the context menu, now I have to right click and then left click on close to close the program :( hope this will be changed..

My current configuration
Intel P4 520 @ 2.8Ghz
768 MB DDR Ram
Nvidia 7300 GT with 256MB Ram.

Windows Experience rating
Processor: 3.7
RAM:3.9
Grapics:4.4
Gaming:4.1
Primary HDD:2.9
Over all: 2.9

One more problem is that my ASUS P750 Windows Mobile doesnot have driver. it works out of the box in Vista. :(

Last edited:
Top Bottom