The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters

goobimama

 Macboy
iTrip ain't no Car charger right? Its just a radio broadcasting thing. Still, I think the 12v of a car battery is pretty safe to charge an iPod with. Of course not with something that costs 20 bucks.

jamesbond007

 MacManiac
@iMav

I don't know the iTrip thing. I see a lot of cheap iPod chargers are available for as less as 300/- . I'd not risk my iPod of around 8000/- being fried by a charger that has no proper circuitary for smooth flow of DC current. Car chargers are real bad. Chances of damage may be low but the risk is always high. Either buy a branded iPod chargers available or charger via your USB. Thats my opinion and its not gonna change :)

@nish_higher

The blu ray drive that I spoke of is in internal drive for Mac Pro. Search the archives of TUAW you might find it. But I guess its kind of pointless to even be thinking of blu ray drives.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
iTrip ain't no Car charger right? Its just a radio broadcasting thing. Still, I think the 12v of a car battery is pretty safe to charge an iPod with. Of course not with something that costs 20 bucks.
Yes, it's a FM trans-receiver. And iPod charges worth 300/- are fine, they cause no damage, off course precaution is needed that you don't buy something fake or really cheap Chinesse stuff.

^^^Lets see how you make bakra of him, welcome MysticDews or what ever your name means ;-)
That was nothing more than a joke:D

So the iPhone 2.0.1 is out. In fact, Kevin Rose said 'it will be out in 10 mins' in one of his tweets. Now that's something!

@Sunny: Dude I don't think the Pentium II processor ever made it to the 500Mhz mark. Even the extreme variant made it to somewhere 450Mhz. Custom built is it?
Great!Is it safe to update?

It's overclocked :D

Guys,temme any 'kewl' apps for Mac.Got Picturesque,screenflow,Coda(dunno HTML at all but still messing around).Read about all of em on Gobbi's so called 'soggy' blog.:D

Last edited:

dinesh72

Journeyman
Already one question to answer above me.
mobileme - is aliases working for you guys. I've just created one and got the notification on another website that mail has been sent but not received here!

preshit.net

ex3n1us m4x1mus
Yes, aliases are working fine for me since day one. Make sure you are using me.com and not mac.com for the alias.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Hello folks.

I too would like to be a part of this group. I've been a fan of Apple since long, and now, finally, I've become a proud owner of my first Apple product - A 2.4GHz White MacBook.

Count me in guys...
Here are my details..

MysticDews

Name: Nikhil Tailang
Twitter: MysticDews
Macs: 13.3" MacBook (2.4GHz core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM)
Favorite Application: QuickSilver and iTunes
iPhone: No
iPods: 2GB Shuffle
Other Apple stuff: N/A
Apple stuff I'd like to own: iPhone and iMac
Welcome to the family, Nikhil! Don’t I know you from orkut or something? :)

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
No, I don’t follow him on Twitter. I knew “Nikhil Tailang” even before I joined Twitter, most probably from orkut. I think he was a member of the “Mac Lovers” community and I was a frequent contributor out there (and that was where I was awarded the title of “Mac Genius”).

jamesbond007

 MacManiac
@Aryayush
Congrats first off
Okay looks like time to create an Orkut account for Mac Lovers. Could you just link me to the exact url of the community, I think I'll create orkut account right away, not with my name but with something like KournikovaBug

nish_higher

Wise Old Owl
check this out
*store.fastmac.com/product_info.php?products_id=338

but i can buy another macbook for that price :|

Thanks everyone who welcomed me to the family :)
@aryayush Yes, you might be knowing me from orkut :)

Ok, here's my first question on this thread..

How can I reduce the file-size of the screenshots that I take using cmd+shift+3 or 4? A little compromise in quality won't be a problem.

jamesbond007

 MacManiac
@MysticDews

Are you sure its the file size and not the image size that you want to reduce ??
To reduce the file size you can crop the image, set a little lower resolution, resample it and stuff like that.
You can do this with so many apps available in Mac, try the default one i.e. Preview.
Open the image in Preview, go to Tools and select Adjust Size... and try your settings..

Could you invite or give the exact url of the Mac Lovers community on orkut ??

goobimama

 Macboy
Screenshots are saved as PNGs which take up a lot of space. You can either get some kind of screenshot configuration preference pane, or simply use Skitch for all your screenshotting purposes. Actually get skitch anyway, it is awesome.

@jamesbond007

Yes, I want to reduce the file size. I don't want the dimensions (height and width) to change.

I tried the options in Preview, but it doesn't work the way I want.
Reducing the resolution doesn't affect the size much.

Is there an option to choose the file type (jpg, png, etc.) of the screenshots?
I'm sure if it allows me to save the image as JPEG, it will let me choose the quality too.

jamesbond007

 MacManiac
^^^If you want smaller file sizes you need to have images in formats like jpeg. Any app will allow you to save an image as jpeg, I think you know 'Save As..' option
Try reducing the resolution of the images, if the image size is already in kbs you won't get any reasonable reduction in size :-(

@goobimama
That's exactly what I wanted to do - Change something in Preferences.

And I found a solution here. Others who use the screen capture utility might find it useful.

It involves changing the defaults through the Terminal.
{done by executing the following command

defaults write com.apple.screencapture type jpg

}

I'm now using JPG as my default file type for screenshots and it greatly reduces the file size, without affecting the quality much.

goobimama

 Macboy
Instead of using those terminal scripts, just get this screenshot preference pane. You can then change the default location of screenshots as well.

Anyway, just get skitch man. Its the awesomeness. You'll know when you use it.