The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Well, I’ve never been interested in knowing that information so I don’t really know how to access it.

Thank You. It worked.
Of course it did. When you do something on Mac OS X, it always works. It aint no Windows. :p

(That was said in jest. No need to go defending Windows now.)

Also, how do I get this Victoria or whoever to shut up?
Go to 'System Preferences >> Speech >> Text to Speech’ and disable “Announce when alerts are displayed” and “Announce when an application requires my attention”.

She has on it's own started barking out whatever window I open.
Not on its own. You unintentionally hit some keyboard shortcut that triggered the feature. :)

aneek

Broken In
Hey gyes...,,,
Can you help me I'm new to mac and I have the following problem

I have brought a mac book recently.......But the problem is that I don't know how to configure BSNL Broadband connection in Leopard..
My modem is........
HUAWEI Quidway WA1003A
PLZ PLZ help me on this.....

@Aneek,Please use smaller fonts.
This thread is only for helping each other over the topics related to this wonderful OS:D
Gigantic fonts won't help much.They suggest that you are shouting for help rather than asking for it:DNo hard feelings,but please use smaller fonts.
Thank you

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
OK, so this is how it will happen. The keynote kicks off at 10:30 p.m. IST today. The live-blog can be followed at plenty of websites but the following are supposed to be the best:
Engadget (text and images; humourous)
Gizmodo (text and images; fast; auto-refresh; humourous)
MacRumors (text and images; fast; auto-refresh)
Macworld (best written; quite humourous; the updates will be posted at the top this time)

For the newbies, here’s what you should know:
1. Steve Jobs’s keynotes (a.k.a. Stevenotes, Jobsnotes and Jobsian Keynotes) are the single most exciting events of the year for Mac users. As Milind often says, it’s like Christmas all over again;
2. It’s not a boring two-hour speech where a fifty-year-old man drones on and on about how awesome he is;
3. The presentation is awesome, described by many as a work of art;
4. There’s a whole lot of suspense about what is supposed to be released and it’s fun to find out what they have up their sleeves;
5. The products introduced are generally mind-blowing;
6. The rush is so much that entire blogs and services like Twitter can’t handle it and crash;
7. The video is made available for download later; and
8. It’s gonna be fun, just wait and watch.

To get an idea of what it’s like, check out this comic:

*www.geekculture.com/joyoftech/joyimages/1115.jpg

We’ll (at least Milind, Preshit, Yash, Ashwin, Manan and I) will be following the various live-blogs and posting updates here. We might also instate a Yahoo! chat room later in the day if we feel the need to. Feel free to join us, everyone.

Enjoy. :)

Hey gyes...,,,
Can you help me I'm new to mac and I have the following problem

I have brought a mac book recently.......But the problem is that I don't know how to configure BSNL Broadband connection in Leopard..
My modem is........
HUAWEI Quidway WA1003A
PLZ PLZ help me on this.....
Can you just lay off the gigantic fonts and give us a little more information?

Did you connect the modem via the ethernet cable and enter 192.168.1.1 in Safari?

Last edited:

coolmel

was here
Hi folks,

Its been a week with my 24" mac now, many issues came up, many sorted out. i did discuss things wid milind n aayush. Still, for all of u to know, here are some screenshots of all thats been happening this week.

Some problems like, not being able to connect to the net( on a PPPoE connection) , my command + delete keys not functioning esp when i wanna trash something, still remain. Suggestions n solutions(if any) to solve these probs willb highly appreciated:)

Cheers.

1>
Picture%203.png
*img68.imageshack.us/img68/8597/f1ma3.th.jpg*img68.imageshack.us/img68/8597/f1ma3.th.jpg

2>*img74.imageshack.us/img74/8246/f2cr4.th.png

3>*img408.imageshack.us/img408/6136/m4dx0.th.png*img408.imageshack.us/img408/6136/m4dx0.th.png

4>*img528.imageshack.us/img528/3041/m6us2.th.jpg

5>
*img441.imageshack.us/img441/6021/m7qn8.th.png

6>>
*img383.imageshack.us/img383/6130/m8dn5.th.jpg

7>
*img383.imageshack.us/img383/6884/m9oa9.th.jpg*img383.imageshack.us/img383/6884/m9oa9.th.jpg

8>
*img383.imageshack.us/img383/3377/m11pw0.th.jpg

9>*img443.imageshack.us/img443/2027/m12oc6.th.jpg

10>*img383.imageshack.us/img383/1584/m13cn2.th.jpg

11>*img441.imageshack.us/img441/2672/m15kw8.th.jpg

i love my Mac, but these fresh errors puzzle me!
awaitin ur comments/answers..

jamesbond007

 MacManiac
^^^ Your screenshots are not helpful. Try to write the problem and post a helpful screenshot to go with it. Screenshots of Crash reports, kernal panics don't make sense to us all!!! What is your internet connection ?? Wired or wireless ?? Give us some details when you got those kernel errors. I've been using Mac for many months now and I've never seen such a thing, and I've fingered each and every app and prefs!!

As for that connecting to internet problem is concerned, in Mac you don't need to configure internet connection, you only need to connect and this is how it is done...

1) Assuming that you've setup your modem and phone cables properly, just take the ethernet cable of your modem and plug it into the ethernet port of your Mac

2) Open Safari, type a link, say www.google.com and press enter. You'll get an error and a network diagnostic button, just click that button

3) Answer a few questions, like username, pass etc and you are done

coolmel

was here
^^^ Your screenshots are not helpful. Try to write the problem and post a helpful screenshot to go with it. Screenshots of Crash reports, kernal panics don't make sense to us all!!!

>>WTF!! i am getting all those errors right from the day i started the machine for the first time. first error was a kernel panic error, which repeated itself on the second day for as many times i remember. Aayush will tell u better..

What is your internet connection ?? Wired or wireless ?? Give us some details when you got those kernel errors. I've been using Mac for many months now and I've never seen such a thing, and I've fingered each and every app and prefs!!

>>then its high time someone cleared ur perceptions of Macs being flawless machines:p. i use Exatt broadband which is a PPPoE net service through ethernet cable. Sorry to say, but even Applecare hasnt been able to solve my problem! I tried to do the network diagnostic, assist me features but all have failed! i just dont get why...

As for that connecting to internet problem is concerned, in Mac you don't need to configure internet connection, you only need to connect and this is how it is done...
1) Assuming that you've setup your modem and phone cables properly, just take the ethernet cable of your modem and plug it into the ethernet port of your Mac

>> i know that, did the same, but no connectivity yet.

2) Open Safari, type a link, say www.google.com and press enter. You'll get an error and a network diagnostic button, just click that button

3) Answer a few questions, like username, pass etc and you are done

All the Kernel protection errors which i m getting since yesterday are from VLC media player. i got a few repeatedly n thats what irked me.

Can anyone throw some light on why my cmd + delete thing aint working?? or the way to trash any item in osx is thru right click n hit move to trash??

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy
@mehul: Those are too many problems for one mac. Of course, if the panics are just related to VLC, then stop using it (stop using it anyways, quicktime + perian is much better).

And don't settle for alternatives. If its not working, get it replaced or something till it works perfectly. Maybe you are hitting the wrong delete key? It could be command+backspace on your keyboard....

No it isn't:D
I don't know what you have done with your net, but connecting net on a Mac is just plug and play. As long as your setting is done on the modem, it will connect no matter what.

@aayush: Awesome! I just woke up (yeah, I know, 4 p.m.) and that really shook me out of my sleep.

Last edited:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Go to 'System Preferences >> Speech >> Text to Speech’ and disable “Announce when alerts are displayed” and “Announce when an application requires my attention”.
Got it. Thank you.
Not on its own. You unintentionally hit some keyboard shortcut that triggered the feature.
High possibility.

We’ll (at least Milind, Preshit, Yash, Ashwin, Manan and I) will be following the various live-blogs and posting updates here. We might also instate a Yahoo! chat room later in the day if we feel the need to. Feel free to join us, everyone.
Schedule cleared. A pack of Lays ordered (American Cream n Onion, if anyone is anxious to know), a bottle of Thums Up chilling in the refrigerator.

goobimama

 Macboy
Guys. I don't think I can make it to the keynote this year. I have to attend this birthday party and all my cousins have co........who am I kidding! This is going to be the best WWDC ever! Ayayayaya! (Does a little tribal dance)!

So I'll be all set with Coldplay on the iPhone (to reduce pre-keynote blood pressure), Beers (actually fruit juice), and a PC with Windows Vista! (I won't take the chance at home, net might just conk off).

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
LOL! You can’t enjoy the pleasures of following the keynote on your glorious 20-inch iMac even after shelling out Rs. 1,000 per month for a broadband connection.

coolmel

was here
Milind: i installed Perian 1.1, still the files dont load in quicktime, esp, .wmv, or .mpg or .dat! wats wrong??? the video error which i was talking of come up like dis: this is from a high def 720p .wmv file. works smoooothly on my pc which doesnt even have a graphic card but y d heck this problem here???

With regards to the net problem, the connection i got happens to be the best around. not enough cash to setup wifi right away.. doesnt anyone out here know how to figure out pppoe net problems?? Applecare and I scrambled our heads but still couldnt get me connected! there gotta be some solution for this..

*img236.imageshack.us/img236/5621/picture2bw5.th.png

wats everyones take on this video error??

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
My take is that you should switch to Windows.

(That was said in jest. No need to go defending OS X now.) :D

dinesh72

Journeyman
Install Flip4mac wmv player, add in to your quicktime player. Find it here
*www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/17787/flip4mac-wmv-player

Top Bottom