The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters
@Mehul,It was a kernel panic which didn't happen after that.So,no worries.
BTW I want to transfer data from my PC to Mac.Any help?I have the USB data cable.
And yes,I want to buy Time Capsule 500GB.Will it support my PC's(2) and notebook?I mean WiFi.

jamesbond007

 MacManiac
@Sunny
I've never used usb data cable for transferring data between cable, so I can't say anything about the setup and speed stuff. In my experience, the best way to connect 2 computers is to use a cross over cable. Connect cross over cable to PC and iMac, if you are lucky both of them should be connected, but sometimes, PC has certain problems. In that case it is best to assign ip addresses manually. In PC, TCP/IP properties and give ip address manually say.. 10.1.1.1. In iMac, Sys Pref --> network --> Ethernet and give ip manually say ..10.1.1.2. Thats it. Now in the good olden days of Tiger, you were required to press cmd + K, and enter the ip of PC to connect, in Leopard however, this is not required, but mind you the option still exist. Hope this will do it...

Wow!! this is my 400th Post!!

jamesbond007

 MacManiac
Ethernet cables are two types 1) Straight Cable 2) Cross over cable ( Not Gay Cable!! ). Basically there is no difference between them except for their color coding and functionality.
If you want to connect 2 computers via a router, hub etc, you'll need two straight cables, one connects PC1 to router and the other connects router to PC2.
If you want to connect two computers directly, you'll need a cross cable. Just plug its both ends into ethernet ports of two computers.

An Ethernet cable comes bundled with your BSNL broadband connection, its the Straight Cable
Cross over cable costs around Rs 100/- or you can go to any PC or electrical shop and he'll make one for you for a lesser price.

narangz

Web developer
^^Newer network adapters do not require crossover cable for pc-pc connectivity. You can use straight cable. No idea about mac-pc.

jamesbond007

 MacManiac
I have an apple script, its supposed to be an Auto refresh Safari Page script. I placed it in /Library/Scripts/Safari ( I created Safari folder ) Now how do I use it so that a web page is auto refreshed.
OR

you guys got a trick to auto refresh a Safari page ??

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Hey fellas,

If compared to a normal PC, or even the MacBooks how does the Mac Mini fare in terms of energy usage ?
Acc. to the TOI of today (which I am sure you must have read) Macs consume 2/3rd power as compared to a headless PC. Not sure of the details.

Ethernet cables are two types 1) Straight Cable 2) Cross over cable ( Not Gay Cable!! ). Basically there is no difference between them except for their color coding and functionality.
If you want to connect 2 computers via a router, hub etc, you'll need two straight cables, one connects PC1 to router and the other connects router to PC2.
If you want to connect two computers directly, you'll need a cross cable. Just plug its both ends into ethernet ports of two computers.

An Ethernet cable comes bundled with your BSNL broadband connection, its the Straight Cable
Cross over cable costs around Rs 100/- or you can go to any PC or electrical shop and he'll make one for you for a lesser price.
Oh,so You were talking about Ethernet cables?No,prob i have 2.Will try and tell you if any probs arise:D
Thanks

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
I got an iPod Classic with songs which needs to loaded into my iPod Nano. How can I do this?

iPod Classic --> MBP --> iPod Nano is what I can think of. What software to use?

Pathik

Google Bot
Hey fellas,

If compared to a normal PC, or even the MacBooks how does the Mac Mini fare in terms of energy usage ?
They are much more power efficient. Remember, they use laptop components to save on space. And the new iMacs and macbooks have LED backlit screens as well.

Top Bottom