The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters

goobimama

 Macboy
Re: Macworld Conference and Expo 2008

iWork has never been bundled with a Mac. Why should they start now?

The EEE PC is a 4GB drive, small screen and low powered processor. It's an amazing machine no doubt, but you can't compare the two. The macbook has a 13" screen size in this small form factor (I would have liked it to have less of a bezel on the sides of the screen though...

I agree I don't know much about how electronics are made, but that board did look really really tiny (length of a pencil?).

The battery of the Air lasts like 5 hours. It should easily pull off two movies on a single run. And it's really really unhealthy to watch more than two movies on a laptop at a stretch. Try that with a PC laptop and a big fat optical drive and we'll see what happens.

As for the optical drive, I don't know which age you are living in. I can't remember the last time i slipped a disc in the iBook. The iMac maybe once in two weeks or so I might need to. Like I said, installing apps and such doesn't require any optical drive considering that your desktop at home has one. Now if only the Remote Disc thing supported direct disc burning, it would be great. I guess Toast can take care of that.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
hey guys what is the default location of the podcasts downloaded using itunes :?: and how to change it

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

iWork has never been bundled with a Mac. Why should they start now?

Because they are charging $1800 for that.
The EEE PC is a 4GB drive, small screen and low powered processor. It's an amazing machine no doubt, but you can't compare the two. The macbook has a 13" screen size in this small form factor (I would have liked it to have less of a bezel on the sides of the screen though...

Both are supposed to be companion PCs.

I agree I don't know much about how electronics are made, but that board did look really really tiny (length of a pencil?).

Via Mini-ITX form factor...

As for the optical drive, I don't know which age you are living in. I can't remember the last time i slipped a disc in the iBook.

Again, u didn't but, but I did it today morning only, so choices differ.

goobimama

 Macboy
It will definitely be in your Music folder (Username/Music/iTunes/iTunes library/Podcasts). Or just right click the podcast and hit reveal in Finder.

To change it, I guess the only way is to copy the file over to your desktop, then delete the podcast file, and add it to the library while holding option key (adds it to the library but doesn't copy the file)

A pretty funny post by Erica on TUAW. :)

iTunes HD rentals: price discrimination against men
*www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.tuaw.com/media/2008/01/appletvtax.jpg
So what is it with the "guy tax" that Apple has added to its Apple TV rentals? You know what I mean. Rentals are $3.99 for women, $4.99 for men. See? Look at the picture. Because few women (other than our Christina) are going to look at that pricing structure and say "Oh wow, honey. Let's pay a dollar more so that we can enjoy the romance and relationships with better pixel counts."

No, we women are going to say (except for Christina and a few others of her technical prowess) "What a rip!" and buy the SD version while our better halves explain in excruciating detail exactly why they bought that 1080p TV equipment in the first place, which we will ignore and still rent the cheaper version. And why? Because relationships are rarely improved by higher definition. In fact, it's the soft fuzziness (and lower cost) that keeps relationships mysterious and desirable.

Although I might disagree with her. My mom, who is totally non-techie, waits for me to get High Def versions of movies :D

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

goobimama said:
Which one was it? And why did you feel the need to use that disc?

Just wanted to see House Season 3 disk 1 & 2 again.

Backing up in a DVD of Rs 15 is far better then backing up via Time Machine in a Time Capsule which costs $299 atleast

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

u know even for business guys i find the possibility of ppl going for this are slim ... coz most of the businesses run windows now if i get a mac into the system though i can use it it will still give me my set of problems coz i cant make it do what windows can ;)

goobimama

 Macboy

Backing up in a DVD of Rs 15 is far better then backing up via Time Machine in a Time Capsule which costs $299 atleast
You say the stupidest things sometimes!

(Although Aayush will disagree. He'll say it's all the time)

d

Journeyman

i still dont know folks. one thing's certain though.. after i get my notebook.. everytime i fly, i'll find someone with a macbook air.. sit next to them.. open up my 0.25" thicker macbook pro.. and plug in usb drives, play crysis, and watch DVD movies and so on.

amen!

yash

I draw every day
However, I'm not very excited about that. "Multi-touch" is just the branding. The MacBook Air's trackpad does not do much extra. We already have the major features of that trackpad on ours too.

We have all except pinch and rotate. I don't care for three finger swipe. why move the whole wrist when you can press one button and go to the next one?

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

i still dont know folks. one thing's certain though.. after i get my notebook.. everytime i fly, i'll find someone with a macbook air.. sit next to them.. open up my 0.25" thicker macbook pro.. and plug in usb drives, play crysis, and watch DVD movies and so on.

U R such a tease for that person next to u :D

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
The main point is that all that Multi-touch goodness is just for those times when you're viewing pictures on your Mac. That doesn't happen too often on my Mac, at least.

getpriyanth

Broken In
I have asked on some videos posted by engaget and gizmodo to see what version of Leopard the macbook air on display there are running. I REALLY hope 10.5.2 brings this to all mac laptops.

thank you yash.... lets hope for this in new update

The main point is that all that Multi-touch goodness is just for those times when you're viewing pictures on your Mac. That doesn't happen too often on my Mac, at least.

but these kind of things attract new people to MAC;)

yash

I draw every day

didn't you see the demo with Finder? Its so easy to increase or decrease the size of the coverflow view with pinching! Same goes for thumbnail sizes. Increasing or decreasing font in a browser, and possibly more!

For me, if the pinching thing works in photoshop and illustrator, It will save me a lot of time!

kumarmohit

Technomancer

Well fact of the matter is that a hard drive of any type is a much better than any optical media!

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!

MacBook Air is good but I guess it cud've done with a IEEE1394 port with the existing usb 2.0 port. Also a usb to rj45 adaptor free would've made sense. All these things at $1800 would've been real good deal.

All those crying about only 1 usb port, use a hub! And those whining about no-optical drive, this isn't the first time a portable (rather an ultra portable) is being sold without an optical drive. Its been going around since ages now!

Lolz...goobi, if you had any idea about how the technology market works, then you would have known that this is simply the first step in Intel Mobile Phone platform, the System on chip type, in which CPU, chipset & memory are on teh same die.
You haf no idea about the fabrication of these chips, space, heat and the costs involved! At this moment, the cost seams ok. As technology advances we'll surely see a fall in price. But as of today, the cost of fabrication of SoC is exhorbitent!

goobimama

 Macboy

A 4GB flash drive costs 1500 bucks today. 1500 bucks! Why would someone need DVDs and such to transfer files?

Top Bottom