The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Re: Macworld Conference and Expo 2008

macbook air.... i'm floored.. i fainted when it was pulled outta the envelope!!!! friggin awesome! kudos to the engg... packs a 1.2ultra mob. core2duo proc. 80gb 1.8" hdd, support for flash memory... runs leopard... backlit keyb, led display.. 13" widescreen, full size kb... what more can you ask for in that stack of papers??!! Amazing!!!

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

well the multitouch has me mouth watering but no dvd drvie is a turn off

getpriyanth

Broken In

wow,.... ..... what else should i say...........

gr8 laptop,.... i forced one of my friends to get MACBOOK .... and he purchased it just before 2 weeks... now he will kill me.... for sure.....

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!

If an optical drive was included, it by no means can be so thin (even if a slot- loading mech. is used).

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

Sparsh007 said:
MacBook Air New Laptop :did some one predict that?

I did, & I did predicted it with a small HD.

All my predictions came true...even arya said it...

*img246.imageshack.us/img246/7272/confdi9.jpg

No drive is fine, with something like this...I can deny an optical drive myself, it's not like I use it all the time & since Mac applications are not available usually in market so that problem is also solved.

Multitouch is awsome, this is where even I would say "Multitouch done right"...

Oh well...wireless notebook mouse rox anyday for me.

Pathik

Google Bot

Guys see this.
*www.engadget.com/2008/01/15/sizing-it-up-macbook-air-vs-the-rest/
esp the comments

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member

Actually I have seen many laptops without optical drives .. those are specifically designed to keep portablilty to the max, so this is no surprise with the macbook air

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

Don't see that as a notebook. Some people might want to buy. Last year in Gitex, Dubai; people were flocking to buy the new Toshiba 12" screen thing. It costs around Dhs 9500+. Macbook Pro costs Dhs 8800+. It's not that expensive.

Before some fly goes into mouth, check this:
*www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/store...Id=8198552921644507782&parentCategoryId=16154

3700 fu*cking dollars. Specs wise and performance wise (Steve claims so) it pwns Sony TZ "Overpriced" cr@pbook. I wouldn't imagine spending $3700 and run Vista! More torture than rubbing salt in your wound.

engadget reply said:
MacBook Air 1.8Ghz w/64 GB SSD for $3098.00? Wow, Alienware, here I come.
not sure but if thats true then grudgy im sorry to say but looks like ur PWNED

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

Things I predicted correctly, which first arya said "U nailed it GX" but after all coming true he said " u just wrote the rumors"...lolz

It's so easy to predict Apple these days.

Macworld will start with a Mac vs PC ad, in which Apple will again show some lame point to downplay Windows.

It did come true

Steve Jobs will come to the stage & say how great the past year has been for Apple & Mac.

It did come true

Then he will show the stats of various Apple products & say that Leopard is doing gr8 & they have sold XXXX number of copies so far.

It did come true

After this he will talk about how good iTunes Music store is doing & will then announce that Apple is jumping in Movie rental business, in which you can rent a movie for a nominal price for XX days. This movie will play on your Mac/PC with iTunes & iPods.

It did come true

Then he will say that iPhone was a huge success & show some cool apps for iPhone after which he will say that on Apple is finally listening to the developers & will be releasing the iPhone SDK in Feb 2008 or march 2008. He might also announce a 16 GB iPhone.

It did come true other then 16 GB iPhone.

Then he will say that Macbook line is a huge success & it has taken about XX% of market in the U.S. After this he will announce Intel 45nm CPU based Macbook Pro with new graphics.

Nope, no such release.
After this he will say that World is going for small things & will announce Macbook with flash harddisk & no optical drive. This will be like a UPMC, because an Ultra Portable Macbook with say 16 GB Flash HD is too small in storage space for the Mac usage scenario & 32 GB SSD based Macbook will be very costly. Although Apple can release an ultra portable with a small HD too, but UPMC or Tablet PC with Touch OS X is what I predict.

It did come true, let's see...Ultra Portable without optical drive, SSD as option which will make it quite costly. Small HD like that of iPod,...multitouch...well, do u macboys want me to analyse & predict for Macworld 2009??? :D, trust me...it will also come true...I got 6th sense...lolz

Microsoft Office 2008 will be announced today with availability in few months.

It did come true

Mac Pro will start shipping with a Blue Ray drive

Hmm.,.not today.
I am blank about Apple Cinema Display, Mac mini & Apple TV.

But manan predicted about Apple TV correctly.

6 out of 8 came true....damn, I really should apply for Mac genius award now.

Remote Disc is nothing but a CD drive shared on the network either wireless or Wired. It was availalbe on computer since ages.

Last edited:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

well the mba was 1 but every 1 forgot abt apple's another back stab to their customers ...

they are charging for ipod touch updates :x

they havnt given the 5G users 5.5G updates nor have the 5.5G users got 6G updates and now this iPod TOuch users need to pay $20 for 5 apps :x wtf ... thats a great way to treat ur customers ... charge them for applications

getpriyanth

Broken In
hey people,

can we expect multitouch trackpad for us in coming updates of leopard (i mean for MACBOOK's and PRO's) or does it need a hardware update too......

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

Let's see now....

Apple TV Take 2, seems like a copy of Slingbox to me. Too bad it won't stream to Windows Mobile or Symbian OS or Blackbarry device....Apple TV Take 2 is still behind sling box which works with anything & not just Apple. But still good enough for those who want to stay in Apple world.

Time Capsule...doesn't that sounds like NAS.????? Kudos to Apple for creating such a slim & good "hardware" though, which is all I hail Johny Ive for.

El Jobso said:
"One with a 500GB drive, one with a 1TB drive inside it -- $299, and $499. Very aggressive prices because we want people backing up! Ships in Feb." Mild applause

Wait, I thought Jobs said "Mac don't crash, they don't have virus", they why worry about backing up *gigasmilies.googlepages.com/24.gif. Oh! it's just another product Apple wants to sale now...*gigasmilies.googlepages.com/10.gif

El Jobso said:
"You know have the ability to find your current location in maps. Webclips, right on the home screen. Up to 9 total home screen. SMS multiple people at once."

So...Apple is now officially giving those feature which they skipped last time saying "People don't need these", which were already available from 3rd party apps. So, Apple is just copying from the innovation of 3rd Party apps & saying "It's Apple's innovation"

Google Maps like GPS in iPhone. Hmm...I am using this on my K750i already using Google Maps java app, but still...better late then never.

Customising the Home screen, dragging icons...hmm summerbord hack anyone.

They want people to pay for simple features now which should be given by free upgrade *gigasmilies.googlepages.com/24.gif...lolz...only Apple can find such innovative way to extort money.

The only hardware worth notcing was Macbook Air, which totally pwned Arya's prediction that Apple won't release it...lolz..it comes without an Optical Drive, but that can be sacrifesed, as we usually don't need optical drives that much. Multitouch keypad is awsome...*gigasmilies.googlepages.com/38.gif. Oh & seems like it has no user replaceable battery.

Mac platform is not Windows, Mac users like to pay for tv shows or buy movies off iTunes paying high money or downloading via torrent instead of watching from Physical DVDs. Most of the Apple application & software can be bought online & then can be downloaded, so skipping an Optical Drive won't affect the Mac platform, but comon....$99 for an external DVD writer that too 8X,*gigasmilies.googlepages.com/14.gif, external DVD drives cost $60 on newegg...Apple really knows innovative ways to extort money. Hey Apple, how do I install Leopard back in case I have to. I don't have an optical drive.

Now if you have an external Harddisk of 100 or more GB then obviously you won't miss the optical drive. Remote Disc is nothing but a CD drive shared on the network either wireless or Wired. It was available on computer since ages.

goobimama

 Macboy

Yep. That's some lame stuff, charging for software updates.

Now, isn't Office 2008 released today?

$99 for an external DVD writer that too 8X,, external DVD drives cost $60 on newegg...Apple really knows innovative ways to extort money. Hey Apple, how do I install Leopard back in case I have to. I don't have an optical drive.
You realise that it is a specially designed one right? It's really slim, USB powered (which explains it's speed) and must be having the same aluminum finish. All that adds to the cost.

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

Yup...wasn't that my prediction...now u start calling me GX Sir...lolz

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

You realise that it is a specially designed one right? It's really slim, USB powered (which explains it's speed) and must be having the same aluminum finish. All that adds to the cost.

U r getting a laptop that costs 1800.00 but has no optical drive, no 2nd usb port, no ethernet capability and probably no upgradability? For that price optical drive & LAN cable should have been inluded....guess what, you have to pay more for a USB Lan adapter using which will occupy your only USB port...

So to use Macbook Air properly pay atleast $2300 in total for everything

goobimama

 Macboy

The Macbook Air is supposed to be a companion notebook Mr. I dont' think it's intended to be your one and only notebook. So having an optical drive is definitely optional. Plus, if you look at the optical drive pics, you'll agree (well, not YOU literally) that it's worth the premium.

Though I will agree, the Macbook Air does miss out on an an aweful lot. 2 USB ports + Ethernet are a must.

Last edited:
Top Bottom