The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
So we see that easy one have their own likings and usage. That's the reason I mentioned Aayush has to talk for himself. There are a lot of Mac users who use Firefox, maybe more than Safari users.

I totally agree that there are no good alternatives for Photoshop / CS 3 Apps or CSSEdit / Coda but I use Cyberduck (hands down the best FTP client I've ever used ; though I've never used Transmit). Similarly The Unarchiver is better than the $80 StuffIt Manager. Sometimes freewares/OSS might be better than paid softwares.

I use the best app who suits me and where I'm confortable. Don't really care if it's Open source, open source or free. But you can't tell: "Never use cross-platform software unless absolutely necessary"....

jamesbond007

 MacManiac
I have one great reason why I prefer FF to Safari, although Safari has the fastest start up time : In FF when we hover the cursor over a hyperlink we see what link it takes us to when we click it in the status bar at bottom of FF.
This feature in FF ( ofcourse its not FF only feature ) is something that is very important as it helps us from opening unwanted links !!!

getpriyanth

Broken In
Have you ever used IMAP before? It basically synchronises your desktop client with the email server and downloads the headers. It does not download the whole email like POP3 does.

So sometimes, when an email has just arrived and you select it immediately, it takes a little while to synchronise with the server. If you have a slow Internet connection or if you disconnect your Internet connection immediately after downloading emails from an IMAP account, you might not be able to view them until the next time you connect.

i fully agree with you Aayush.... but still.... mails are not getting downloaded completely even after reconnecting to the internet....

but i cant even think of going to POP3 back.....

As for that cracking issue, I told you that it won't be a problem at all. I was right, you see. :D
U were never wrong dude....... thank you

@priyanth:get mozilla thunderbird for mac!
@ praka....

thank you for this suggestion ......are u using this application .... i mean with IMAP????

preshit.net

ex3n1us m4x1mus
Wow... so we have the free vs paid debate in here too :-s ? Come on.

Well, it really depends on the application in question here. But there still are a lot of free apps that win hands down over the paid ones. To take an example of a non mainstream application, I find snitter to be much better than the share-ware Twitterific.

Even though.... I'd still prefer a native app.

I have one great reason why I prefer FF to Safari, although Safari has the fastest start up time : In FF when we hover the cursor over a hyperlink we see what link it takes us to when we click it in the status bar at bottom of FF.
This feature in FF ( ofcourse its not FF only feature ) is something that is very important as it helps us from opening unwanted links !!!

In Safari --> View --> Show status bar
Or Simply, Command + /

I didn't know that too previously. Moreover, The password fiasco has scared me too.

goobimama

 Macboy
1) You can see the links when you hover over one in Safari. Make sure you have your status bar enabled though (Cmd+/).
*img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/d7abafef39.png

However, I never like having the status bar, so if I want to find out what link I'm hovering over, I just click and drag it maybe an inch to the side. (you can't see the mouse pointer in the screenshot, but it's dragging that grey box out.
*img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/4ad1976454.png

I've been using IMAP + Gmail on the Apple Mail without any hitches. Of course, at home I'm on dial up so that doesn't bode too well for syncing my entire inbox. But on the iBook, IMAP has been working without a hitch. Just give it a night or two (on a 2mbps connection) to get everything synced together. After that new mail's open up in an instant. So see what's going on, check the activity monitor (Cmd+0 I think)

yash

I draw every day
no yash,

my mails are physically available and i can even find them on search.... but i am not able to see the content of most of the mails ....

physically? really?...

Have you ever used IMAP before? It basically synchronises your desktop client with the email server and downloads the headers. It does not download the whole email like POP3 does. POP3 instead.

Please correct me if I am wrong, everyone. :)

As for that cracking issue, I told you that it won't be a problem at all. I was right, you see. :D

ahem. yeah. about correcting you.. mail downloads ALL the mails in their completeness from my gmail(IMAP) account. That's why its occupying so much space on my HDD. I can turn off the internet and still go and look at old mails. Only thing it can't do is show images from the web... like in some HTML mails...newsletters...(i can't think of any other word) and such... but if its mail stationery, or other email where all the images are in the email then they are loaded and can be seen

goobimama

 Macboy
I want to control iTunes on my PC from my Mac. I googled around but only found stuff that requires both machines to be a mac. If anyone has any idea about this, do tell...

yash

I draw every day
you could try a full fledged vnc implementation. I'm sure with screen sharing built into leopard, that won't be hard. I use salling clicker on my cellphone to control itunes.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
I think Aayush has to talk for himself!
First of all, I should clarify that I was talking for myself. :)

Firefox -- the best browser
In your opinion, yes.

VLC player -- dunno if quicktime is better, but I like VLC.
QuickTime Player is definitely better once you've installed Microsoft Windows Media QuickTime Components and Perian. I've yet to come across a single file that does not play in QuickTime Player with these two codecs installed.

Advantages over VLC:
1. Apple application, present by default;
2. Much better user interface (put two fingers on the trackpad and scroll up/down to scrub around and left/right to control the volume);
3. Works very well with the Apple remote;
4. Does not crash;
5. Very responsive and quick; and
6. Has a very cool "fit-to-screen" view (⌘4).

Azureus -- uTorrent is best but Azureus is better than Transmission.
For you, a power user, yes.
For me, goobimama and most of the other average Joes, not so much.

Though I would agree with you guys, sometimes the free ones are a little better than even the paid ones...
Sometimes freewares/OSS might be better than paid softwares.
"Sometimes". That's the keyword here. I did not define any absolutes. I listed them in an order of preference. If you have two applications that do the same thing, you should prefer the paid one over the one that is free. Of course, the free might be better in some cases but in my experience so far, when a developer offers the best among the crowd, he wants to make some money for the extra effort. :)

There are a lot of Mac users who use Firefox, maybe more than Safari users.
That's a completely misguided statistic. C'mon! How could you even think that? You really think that Firefox is popular enough to beat the Apple designed, default browser among a community of the Apple faithful? And that too, when Safari is actually a good browser, the fastest among the lot with the best user interface and all the essential features one actually uses while browsing the Internet.

I use the best app who suits me and where I'm confortable. Don't really care if it's Open source, open source or free. But you can't tell: "Never use cross-platform software unless absolutely necessary"....
Of course, one does not really appreciate the value of a standard product until he/she has been burned by the inferior one. You'll be burned by cross platform applications on Mac OS X too. Wait and watch. :)

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Anyway, let us not talk about stuff that we have the whole year to chat about. For now, come to the Macworld mood. Woooooooooooooooooooohooooooooooooooo! It's Macworld in two days, baby!

Here are a lot of pictures. Use the translation widget to convert from Italian to English if you want to make sense of the captions. Enjoy! :)

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

I would also like to publicly thank and applaud Milind for being a good guy. I'd just casually mentioned to him that I can't use a countdown widget for the Macworld Expo because third party widgets are not working in Dashboard on my Mac. Web clips were working, however, so I made a widget from the countdown displayed on Digg's homepage. But it would take about a minute to refresh every time I loaded Dashboard because it refreshed the whole Digg page in the background.

I'd just mentioned it and forgotten all about it. I hadn't asked for help or anything. But Milind actually went to the trouble of designing an HTML webpage for me with a Macworld countdown (not just a rough job either but an actual design) that I'm now using as a webclip and is working like a charm. I don't know how difficult it was to do (doesn't seem like much) but it is the thought that counts. Three cheers for you, pal! :)

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy
I would also like to publicly thank and applaud Milind for being a good guy.
Awwww shucks. ;)

aayush said:
That's a completely misguided statistic. C'mon! How could you even think that? .... the fastest among the lot with the best user interface and all the essential features one actually uses while browsing the Internet.
He's been a Firefox fan for a long time now. I think it's already too late for him to do something about it. I guess we'll have to wait till someone snatches all his passwords right under his nose... (although I think FF for mac uses the systemwide keychain?)

aayush said:
Blah blah Quicktime vs VLC
Quicktime for me (apart from the one's Aayush mentioned:
1) The jog shuttle. Most awesome feature. Really useful when watching say a training video or something.
2) Ability to easily add/extract audio/video/subtitles to any quicktime movie, cutting, merging, whatnot. And really simple and easy.
3) Exporting Options. There's hundreds of them. I particularly like the export image sequence.

Last edited:
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
No, it doesn't. Not yet.

See this video, guys. Nothing like a BSoD joke to brighten up the dullest of days:

*gizmodo.com/344235/the-real-bill-gates-retirement-video

Don't miss it! It is very funny. :lol:

yash

I draw every day
Today, I needed to use illustrator again, and i launched it, but i got the message that the licensing for this product has stopped working. I had just brought over the aplications folder from my time machine backup as the rest of it was corupt. Now how do I get the softwares to work without having to install the whole suite again?

goobimama

 Macboy
The Adobe suite is known to have problems even if you move the applications within the applications folder. That's cause there's a lot of stuff that's being added to the library, and the system folders which you can't really do anything about. Reinstalling the whole suite should be your only option...

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
guys cant i take a backup (from disk utility) to another physical hdd :?: its only showing me my os x partition

goobimama

 Macboy
Well if the other disk is not detected, then how will it copy the stuff over? Are you doing this via the OS X install menu?

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
QT over VLC said:
1. Apple application, present by default;
2. Much better user interface (put two fingers on the trackpad and scroll up/down to scrub around and left/right to control the volume);
3. Works very well with the Apple remote;
4. Does not crash;
5. Very responsive and quick; and
6. Has a very cool "fit-to-screen" view (⌘4).
1) The jog shuttle. Most awesome feature. Really useful when watching say a training video or something.
2) Ability to easily add/extract audio/video/subtitles to any quicktime movie, cutting, merging, whatnot. And really simple and easy.
3) Exporting Options. There's hundreds of them. I particularly like the export image sequence.
So here's why I like VLC, apart from the fact that it's FOSS:
1. IT DOES NOT CRASH
2. No need for Perian or Flip4Mac. It plays all the format out of the box.
3. I don't use Apple remote (unless other souls also want to watch the thing) so never felt the limitation you guys talk about. Plus the Apple remote seem to work fine.
4. Ability to take screenshots/snaps (not sure if I can do in QT)
5. No need to wait for Buffering
6. When I double click a file, it just opens and play unlike QT where we have to play again.
7. When I double click the playing windows, it automatically fits to screen. The way I like my Media Player to respond.
8. 100% more volume. How could I forget this! No need to install any other app to get a boost.
9. Web streaming
10. Doesn't asks for stupid DVD region when you play DVDs. And one App for Video and DVD formats.
11. Advanced stuffs like Post Processing, Interlacing, Croping, etc... which I admit that I don't find any use.

That's a completely misguided statistic. C'mon! How could you even think that? You really think that Firefox is popular enough to beat the Apple designed, default browser among a community of the Apple faithful?
Maybe I'm wrong. But see, according to W3 Schools:-
Safari (for Mac) usage is 3.x%
Mac usage is 7.x%

Combining the above stats, it's logical that Firefox (for Mac) has more adopters than Safari. :D

I guess we'll have to wait till someone snatches all his passwords right under his nose... (although I think FF for mac uses the systemwide keychain?)
Came across this issue before. What happens exactly?

goobimama

 Macboy
Came across this issue before. What happens exactly?
Well someone just goes into Options > Security > Show Passwords, and all your saved passwords are shown right there in plain text! WTF! I had to change my three year old complex password cause some prick (my good friend actually) did the show password thing. But thank god it was him and not some other snoopy biatch.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
^^ goobster: ff has a master password feature ... u could have used ur 3 yr old complex password as ur master password and that prick wouldnt hav seen ur passwords

Top Bottom