The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters

goobimama

 Macboy
But then I have to use my Master password every time I do something that accesses those other passwords. It's kinda silly to save a password and then enter another one just to access those saved ones.

In Safari, I save a password, it enters into web forms whenever, and if I need to access the password in plain text, I have to enter my system's username and password. The way I like it.

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
A Big WHAT THE FU*K!

Wow I got in my Paypal account, where I had $250 in there. Just got a Check withdrawn for $180. :twisted: The thing was I forgot my password and security question answers too! Paypal Bast@rds did even reply to my emails.

A big relief! Thanks to Firefox. :D

The thing is none uses Firefox. My cousin/family members use Safari (which I force them to use).

By the way, a big typo in my previous post. It should be "NEVER came across this issue before. What happens exactly?" rather than "Came across.."

jamesbond007

 MacManiac
Still on Tiger !!! :-(

Leopard is something that is evading me and I guess I am getting a li'l frustrated with it. Hence I decided that to think about it after a few days!!!

After getting that status bar in Safari I am using it but still got one thing missing in it when we compare it with FF, I mean the ABP . I searched for it and I found that Ad blocker is available for Safari- Leopard!!! God leopard again!! Del.icio.us buttons on FF are also handy!! I have been using FF from the days it was called firebird!! But again if I get the two thing mentioned above, who know I may switch. I like change BTW!

One thing is it is very difficult for Windows migrates to give up on FF and VLC
VLC plays everything out of box and is very light on system. QT is good too, I use both.

But right now I am eagerly waiting for Tuesday 9:30 pm and I'll be on this thread !!!!

BTW biologically the Big Cat is Tiger, more powerful and most dominating beast!! ;-)

goobimama

 Macboy
Get Saft. It has Ad blocker, and many more features. Like an ultimate plugin for Safari. Not sure about Delicious buttons though... There should be a widget or a menubar thing for that.

goobimama

 Macboy
A Big WHAT THE FU*K!

Wow I got in my Paypal account, where I had $250 in there. Just got a Check withdrawn for $180. :twisted: The thing was I forgot my password and security question answers too! Paypal Bast@rds did even reply to my emails.

A big relief! Thanks to Firefox. :D
Can you now see how potentially dangerous Firefox is? What if someone else was snooping around, found your paypal account password (which could further be linked to a Credit card) and have access to all your funds and could put you in debt. And since is quite anonymous, you have no way of getting your cash back.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
1. IT DOES NOT CRASH
Try scrubbing a lot when playing a high definition movie. For example, when you're searching for a particular scene and keep jumping back and forth to locate it. It promptly crashes for me.

That errors box also pops up far too often for my liking (and that too, right on top of the movie in fullscreen mode).

2. No need for Perian or Flip4Mac. It plays all the format out of the box.
Windows Media supports is shady it best. It plays some times and other times it doesn't. Though that does not matter because no one uses that format anyway.

Having to install Perian and Flip4Mac, both of which are free and quite small in size, is not exactly a drawback.

4. Ability to take screenshots/snaps (not sure if I can do in QT)
Yes, you can, of course. :)

5. No need to wait for Buffering
Only for high definition movies. I would gladly spend about two minutes before each movie to have a crash-less experience. You can always do something else while it buffers the movie.

6. When I double click a file, it just opens and play unlike QT where we have to play again.
You watch movies in full screen mode, right? QuickTime automatically does play movies when you hit ⌘F, when it knows you will be watching it and nothing else. :)

8. 100% more volume. How could I forget this! No need to install any other app to get a boost.
This is one genuine advantage of VLC over QuickTime Player, though it is offset by the fact that the stupid application does not allow me to control Mac OS X's volume through the remote.

9. Web streaming
QuickTime does web streaming, dude. It is, in fact, the best player for web content. Apple pioneered the idea of streaming video over the web.

10. Doesn't asks for stupid DVD region when you play DVDs. And one App for Video and DVD formats.
If you are playing DVDs in VLC instead of the new DVD Player in Leopard, trust me, you're doing an immense disservice to your movie watching experience. :)

11. Advanced stuffs like Post Processing, Interlacing, Croping, etc... which I admit that I don't find any use.
Who cares! I just want to hit ⌘F and watch the movie.

I guess one size does not fit after all, but I would advise you to pay a little more respect to better user interface design. If you don't appreciate that, Mac OS X will disappoint you one day. It's major advantage over Windows is that it and it's applications have a better user interface that Windows and its applications.

Enjoy! :)

Get Saft. It has Ad blocker, and many more features. Like an ultimate plugin for Safari. Not sure about Delicious buttons though... There should be a widget or a menubar thing for that.
del.icio.us supports Safari right out of the box. Visit that buttons page using Safari and it will show you the buttons for Safari that you can just drag to the bookmarks bar at the top and be done with. :)

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Guys, what do you think of this induction charging thing? Any chances of it becoming a reality? And if WiMax does become a reality, will it be of any use at all in India?

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy
If wait time for HD is your concern, just do the waiting thing for once, File > Save as reference movie (4-5MB) and the time you want to watch it, open the reference movie instead. I usually just open all my 'unreferenced' movies at night, and in the morning I just hit file > Save as for all of them.

Of course, I also do a lot of other stuff to keep my media organised (like hunting for posters and such)

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
Some clarifications:
1. Flip4Mac is not free! The basic version is $50 and a "Studio Pro HD" version is $180. The only reason I've Flip4Mac is that it plays the stupid WMV files which are embedded in certain sites.

Flip4Mac is over 11mb. Almost half as much as VLC .dmg.
2. Apple remote works fine with VLC. Both in Leopard and in Tiger. Tried and tested.
3. VLC doesn't asks for DVD region is a good advantage. What'll happen after 5 times you change your DVD region? How are you going to change it?

And does QT plays files which are not yet fully downloaded? VLC plays (of course, the first part should be present) without any problems.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
1. Flip4Mac is not free! The basic version is $50 and a "Studio Pro HD" version is $180. The only reason I've Flip4Mac is that it plays the stupid WMV files which are embedded in certain sites.
Uh, dude, the part we care for, i.e. playing Windows Media content, is free. :)

Flip4Mac is over 11mb. Almost half as much as VLC .dmg.
Whether he is four years old or six, he's still a kid.

2. Apple remote works fine with VLC. Both in Leopard and in Tiger. Tried and tested.
Tried and tested here as well. It does not allow you to control Mac OS X's volume. It hijacks the volume control and changes it to control its own volume, which reduces just a little bit after you press seven times. This is the most frustrating thing about VLC. Just let the friggin' remote do its job as Apple intended it to.

3. VLC doesn't asks for DVD region is a good advantage.
Of course it is.

What'll happen after 5 times you change your DVD region?
Why would you need to do that! The region code for Asia is 5. That's it.

And does QT plays files which are not yet fully downloaded? VLC plays (of course, the first part should be present) without any problems.
I don't care about this.

Of course VLC is useful for certain things (which is why it is there on my machine) but my point is that with Perian and Flip4Mac installed, I never have to launch it. :)

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

OK, this is the sort of thing that gives me the goosebumps. I've seen it before but I ran into it again just now so I thought maybe I should share it:

*www.maclife.com/sites/future.p2technology.com/files/imce-images2/0113_welcome_450.jpg

It's Apple's arrogant and bold advertisement from back when IBM released their first personal computer to counter the Apple I. Freaking awesome! :D

Last edited:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
hey guys i took a backup using superduper and it said that it will take a backup leaving out system files that apple recommends any ideas which files are being referred here :?: and is this sufficient to get the machine running back from where i left

also its a dmg how do i restore it ... after installing tiger or before installing it (i did choose the make bootable option) but dont have a blank dvd right now to chk

Last edited:
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Guys, my Twitter account handle is, predictably enough, "aryayush".

Let me know if any of you guys have accounts on it and I'll follow you if you are important enough. :p

You should consider following these accounts for a couple of days because they'll have updates about the Expo (I'm listing the handles):
ArsMacworld, macrumors, tuaw, appletell and gruber.

Enjoy! :)

jamesbond007

 MacManiac
I installed SafariBlock2 and guess what, everytime I enter some url in address bar and press it 'quits unexpectedly' !!!

WiMax is something I've been waiting for a long time, but honestly it won't be of any use in India for the next couple of years or so. Some time back we heard that bangalore will have WiMax hot spots in 2008, lets see if it becomes reality first!!!

If anyone of us is expecting Induction charging anytime soon, I'd only say " Dream On Guys" Induction Charging is only a future technology and its not gonna be used for domestic purposes ( like in lappys ) so early!!

preshit.net

ex3n1us m4x1mus
I fear my Snitter / Twitterific apps are gonna go crazy around this time tomorrow. I can sense it. I'm following 9 different entities that are going to update live from MacWorld. Woohoo !

Aayush, any specific reason to protect your updates ?

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
You'll be able to see them if you follow me. :)

Which Twitter accounts are your following for the live updates?

And why does one need dedicated applications for Twitter? iChat serves me just fine...

preshit.net

ex3n1us m4x1mus
You'll be able to see them if you follow me. :)
Uhh ? Dude. I _know_ that. My question was totally different.

Which Twitter accounts are your following for the live updates?
Let me see.. apart from the ones you mentioned above, /iboughtamac ( Brent Spore ), /Brajeshwar ( Mr. Oinam ), /camh ( Cameron Hunt ) and a few other sources in my NNW.

And why does one need dedicated applications for Twitter? iChat serves me just fine...
Because, I for one, do not ever launch iChat, since apart from you, goobi and Clintus, there is no sane person on my list. Adium is for me ( Unless Trillian comes along ).

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Whatever. You can use any messenger client you want. Just set it up and you're good to go.

I didn't make my Twitter account public because I thought it wouldn't be wise to allow everyone to have a look at my tweets. Is there any disadvantage of doing so?

jamesbond007

 MacManiac
I hate online socializing, I guess twitter belongs to that category. But again if it can help me in getting updates of mac world !! I might think about it !!

Top Bottom