The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Re: The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Macs.

Milind, if you haven't yet, be sure to check out John Siracusa's extensive review of Mac OS X on Ars Technica.

yash

I draw every day

@aayush first you ask me if I'm backing up leopard, then I tell you I'm backing up tiger, then you mention you noticed leopard ichat, and THEN I mock you for saying "I noticed that ichat window is from leopard" when the about my mac window is right there stating the obvious.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

yash said:
@aayush first you ask me if I'm backing up leopard, then I tell you I'm backing up tiger, then you mention you noticed leopard ichat, and THEN I mock you for saying "I noticed that ichat window is from leopard" when the about my mac window is right there stating the obvious.
LOL! Still doesn't explain why you said that it wasn't Leopard in the first place. :lol:

The most obvious visual clue in your screenshot was indeed the iChat window. And specially so since you asked us not to pay any heed to it, which basically screams, "look at it".

When you denied that it was Leopard, I just needed to point out one obvious thing to prove otherwise, so I jumped on what was most prominent. I did not need to point out every tiny little detail I noted. :p

yash

I draw every day

yash said:
my screenshots are taken with me zoomed into the screen. didn't you notice the menubar was not visible? but I don't know about the stretching. and what makes you think I'm backing up my leopard partition? the screenshots they all scream "macintosh HD" not leopard.

....in other words, I'm not backing up leopard.

I didn't deny that the operating system in that screenshot isn't leopard.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

yash said:
the screenshots they all scream "macintosh HD" not leopard.
Yeah, that wasn't a denial at all. :lol:

goobimama

 Macboy

OMG! The icon preview of vista's "Live folder" has still not updated and I have even restarted the system. Not that it matters cause that's not the way I navigate, but still, just making a small little point.

As for the Ars article, phew! It's one long read of which I skipped a lot. Very technical, which is not my cup of tea.

I will still go ahead and say that the new menubar/dock/interface is a nice improvement. I don't see any 'usability' issues with the 3D dock, neither with the dock folders. Might be cause I'm not the dock folder type, but still.

As for the menubar, I've had no problems with readability as of yet. Of course, the first menubar transparency was hideous!

Last edited:
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

I agree with you there. There are definitely no usability problems with transparency in Leopard, and nor in Vista, for that matter. And the new menu bar looks quite good, IMHO. The Dock does need some rethinking though.

yash

I draw every day

aryayush said:
Yeah, that wasn't a denial at all. :lol:

well, now can we get back to the problem?

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

@goobi: which previews yaar; ps previews update instantly here!

Leopard Disk Utility Format Issue Screws With Time Machine (But There's An Easy Fix)

The bad news is, we have discovered a Leopard-related issue that may very well throw a monkey wrench into your Time Machine. Anyone trying to use Time Machine with a previously PC-formatted drive could be at risk. The good news is, there is an easy—albeit none-too-obvious—fix. Here's the dilly-o:

After I upgraded my MacBook Pro to OS X Leopard, the first thing I did was grab a brand-new Maxtor USB drive and format it to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) using Disk Utility, just like I had countless times before. As soon as I erased the disk, Time Machine popped up as promised, and asked if it could use the disk for backup. I said yes, and was on my merry way. Only I wasn't.

Time Machine ran for a bit, and then crapped out after about 10GB. I went into Disk Utility and saw that although the partition was formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled), the volume itself still said FAT32. I clicked Erase to reformat the drive, and got the format failure error you see above.

I tried this with FAT-formatted drives from Seagate, Iomega and HP as well. Each time I saw the same thing. I could reformat the partition to Mac OS Extended (Journaled), and Time Machine would recognize it. Get Info would say that it was formatted correctly. But Disk Utility showed that the volume was formatted for PC. Inevitably, if the Time Machine backup was greater than 10GB, there were problems. Worst of all, if I dared try to format the volume for Mac, I would get the dreaded error, and the disk would be temporarily unmountable.

• Go to the Partition tab. Create two partitions. Under Options, select GUID Partition Table (what you would use to make a Mac OS boot disk) and click OK then Apply.

• Once your partitions are in place, do it again, reverting back to just one partition, but still keeping the GUID Partition Table option. Click OK and Apply again, and at this point you should be cool.

• To be safe, you can then go to Erase and set formatting for Mac OS Extended (Journaled), then format it once and for all. But when you get there, you will probably see that your volume is already formatted in the right way.

Source

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy

Okay now the preview of the icon is changing but only after some time so might have been a bug yesterday. But what refuses to change, is the preview of the thumbnails in the "Live Folder Preview", where the folder is shown along with it's actual content inside. That has been the same since yesterday (which is somewhat equivalent to what the stacks are like). Still it's a non issue, I'm all good with it.

As for the time machine problem, I have had no problems with backing up over 10GB even though my drive was previously FAT32 (most external drives are).

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

Same here. No problems at all.

yash said:
well, now can we get back to the problem?
Which was?
I thought you'd already sorted it out.

goobimama said:
But what refuses to change, is the preview of the thumbnails in the "Live Folder Preview", where the folder is shown along with it's actual content inside. That has been the same since yesterday (which is somewhat equivalent to what the stacks are like).
Not even close. It will not change because it is not supposed to. It shows the few two-three items of the folder in the order you have them sorted. So, for example, if you have them sorted by name, it will show you the first three files regardless of any changes you make to the folder. So, the live preview remains static. It is not a bug, IMHO. :)

yash

I draw every day

okay, the problem WAS that I was trying to make a bootable mackup, but it was talking miserably long.

So in desperation, I uninstalled a lot of applications that I didn't use, and moved my media to external drive, and then made a bootable backup of only 32 gb. that took about two hours! but I'm on my way now.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

I think that there is definitely something wrong with your drive if it is taking so much time over FireWire.

goobimama

 Macboy

Yep. Even USB should not take so long. Could you state the exact steps that you took to go about this?

yash

I draw every day

I first booted using the drive genius cd. I tried defragmenting my 'macintosh hd' which had tiger installation. (I figured fragmentation might be the reason it was taking so long) but it said that the drive can't be defragmented, and it needs to be repaired.
I tried repairing the partition, but it gave me an error- something on the lines of catalog invalid or something.
Then I tried rebuild. the messages it showed:
• rebuilding catalog b tree
•rechecking volume
•lot of other similar gibberish
•invalid volume file count
•invalid volume directory count
•invalid volume free block count
•volume header needs minor repair
•repairing volume
•rechecking volume
•the volume was repaired successfully

Then finally I could defragment it, took a good chunk of the day to finish that...

And finally I booted into macintosh HD (tiger) and started super duper.
super duper first prepared macintosh hd for copy, repaired permisions etc...
erased 'boot' my destination volume. and some other stuff I can't really remember. But you'd know if you've used super duper.
and the long boring process of copying it.
and lastly, making it bootable and another check it performs.

how long did it take for you guys to make bootable copy using super duper
(if you have actually used super duper that is....)

preshit.net

ex3n1us m4x1mus

Hey Guys.

Do you know any good FREE desktop blogging tool for Wordpress ?

I'm not sure why, but using the WP's TinyMCE editor in Safari, I cannot add hyperlinks to text. Nothing happens when I click on insert.

Any ideas ?

preshit.net

ex3n1us m4x1mus

Yea, I am trying Ecto as I speak... but a 21-day trial is gonna do no good to me.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

Was some post deleted between your two posts?

yash said:
how long did it take for you guys to make bootable copy using super duper
The first time, it took about an hour and a half. Depends on the size of your hard drive and how full it is though. Mine is a 120GB hard drive packed to the brim and then some. :)

Top Bottom