The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters

goobimama

 Macboy
Re: The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Macs.

I heard that voice. Once we loaded Leopard on the macbook, dont know why, but we waited at the first screen. Then about 10 seconds later there was a voiceover. "If you can't read, then please press shift+whatever to activate voiceover and some other stuff" (in a better phrased sentence). That was quite a wow for me.

Also, stacks (my favourite topic I know). I was working on a photoshop file. The document was the latest modified in the stack and was prominent in the stack. As soon as I clicked on the save button, the preview got updated. Instantly! Tried it for a text file, again, preview is updated instantly. Wow again.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

"The WOW starts now", huh? :p

Another very annoying bug in Leopard is with regard to having the same toggle for the Quick Look feature and the spring loaded folders. When you are dragging a file through the folder hierarchy, pressing the spacebar to drill down into folders, Quick Look keeps jumping into action every now and then and it is very very annoying. I just cannot believe that a company like Apple, which is a master at paying attention to the minutest details, left such a wide gaping flaw in the system. Shame, Apple!

One great new feature though is that the Dock is now spring loaded and not only the folders, but the applications too. If you did not know this yet, give it a whirl. Awesome feature. It will definitely make you think, "WOW, what took them so long!" :D

yash

I draw every day

yeah aayush, an answer 7 hours later doesn't really help.I've cancelled that, and partitioned it on the second attempt.

Tried using carbon copy cloner to make a bootable backup of my system before I format it, but it was taking too long too! (yes, I hardly have any patience)
*img147.imageshack.us/img147/5798/picture1nd2.png
It's at 5 hours 17 minutes.

So I canceled that, and I downloaded super duper and started the backup process, yet again. and I've been copying at 3.7MB/s and still ain't getting anywhere. *img505.imageshack.us/img505/7286/picture3th9.png
*img505.imageshack.us/img505/7286/picture3th9.2e1d5977fc.jpg

I wonder if I should cancel this one too, and just copy my music and pictures folder manually, then delete them from the main hdd so that the bootable backup gets done faster.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

It is taking that much time over FireWire 800?

Seems to me there is something wrong with the hard drive, your FireWire interface on either end, the cable or your Mac.

There. I'm surprised by how insightful my replies can be sometimes. :lol:

yash

I draw every day

how do you suggest I confirm whether something's realy wrong with the firewire hard drive/interface or its just my computer acting up?

*img221.imageshack.us/img221/1170/picture1jg2.th.png

a screenshot of the benchtest performed using drive genius.

(yeah, just ignore the ichatty chat. :p)

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

What's wrong with all your screenshots? They are elongated.

I cannot tell you what's wrong though. That you'll have to figure out for yourself. (Remember, I'm the guy who tried to reach *something.something.com/ from the Finder. Not exactly the wisest guy you'd run into, don't you think? :p)

Why are you backing up your 9A559 install? Shouldn't you be more concerned about Tiger? And did you get my email?

Last edited:

yash

I draw every day

my screenshots are taken with me zoomed into the screen. didn't you notice the menubar was not visible? but I don't know about the stretching. and what makes you think I'm backing up my leopard partition? the screenshots they all scream "macintosh HD" not leopard.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

hey arya 1 serious question or any1 for that matter ... has any1 tried vista on a mac .... seriously asking how is it on a mac

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

I have. It is way faster than it was on my PC (of course, my PC does not come anywhere near my Mac in terms of specs too) and everything seemed to be working quite well.

Only problem I faced was that it became extremely hot when running Vista, specially when I used to run Need For Speed: Most Wanted.

Otherwise, perfect. Or, at least, as perfect as you can expect Windows to be. :p

The best thing was that, unlike on a PC, there were no driver conflicts and/or issues.

yash said:
my screenshots are taken with me zoomed into the screen. didn't you notice the menubar was not visible? but I don't know about the stretching. and what makes you think I'm backing up my leopard partition? the screenshots they all scream "macintosh HD" not leopard.
Oh, c'mon! I know that iChat in the last screenshot. Definitely Leopard.

And are you using ⌘⇧3 for the screenshots?

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy

Vista on the Mac is quite alright. No problems especially those of driver issues. I've removed it since...

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

k thanx and wats the cheapest mac book and wats the best value for money mac book (only lappy no desktop)

yash

I draw every day

wow! aayush, I'm amazed! you notice the ichat window, but not the about my mac window which shows 10.5!!! some observation skills you have!

yes, I'm using  shift 3. (puhleez tel me how to type the shift symbol!)

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

Yes, I noticed that too. I'm confused though. First you tell me that's Tiger and then you mock me for not noticing that it is Leopard? :confused:

To enter symbols like ⌘, ⌥, ⏏, ⎋ and ⌫ - hit ⌘⌥T and choose "All Characters" from the 'View:' drop down menu. Scroll down in the sidebar on the left in the window that appears and select 'Technical Symbols'. Double click any of the symbols there and watch the magic happen. ⇧ and ↩ can be found in the same list under 'Arrows'. You can thank me later. :)

iMav said:
k thanx and wats the cheapest mac book and wats the best value for money mac book (only lappy no desktop)
Oh, I would tell you but then I would be a salesman, wouldn't I? :mad:

I love these 'Core' technology icons:

*media.arstechnica.com/reviews/os/mac-os-x-10-5.media/core-image-logo-sm.png *media.arstechnica.com/reviews/os/mac-os-x-10-5.media/core-audio-logo-sm.png *media.arstechnica.com/reviews/os/mac-os-x-10-5.media/core-video-logo-sm.png *media.arstechnica.com/reviews/os/mac-os-x-10-5.media/core-animation-logo-sm.png *media.arstechnica.com/reviews/os/mac-os-x-10-5.media/core-animation-logo-sm-1.png
Pretty sexy, aren't they? :D

Last edited:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

aryayush said:
Oh, I would tell you but then I would be a salesman, wouldn't I? :mad:
dil pe matt le yaar ....

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

goobimama said:
Also, stacks (my favourite topic I know). I was working on a photoshop file. The document was the latest modified in the stack and was prominent in the stack. As soon as I clicked on the save button, the preview got updated. Instantly! Tried it for a text file, again, preview is updated instantly. Wow again.

Cool, we had Live preview in Vista since.................longhorn 4xxx builds

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!

^^^ There is NO stacks feature in any version of Windows neither did Milind say anywhere that instant preview was first seen on Leopard!

goobimama

 Macboy

First of all, text documents and word files and such don't even preview on the PC (maybe with some plugins, i'm not sure). Only video and pictures and PDF after installing adobe acrobat reader.

Secondly, it is not instantaneous. I just tried it. Opened an image file from a folder, edited it (scribbled with a white brush) and saved it. Nothing changed. I even did a refresh on the exploder window and nothing happened. The old preview is still there. I'm refreshing the explorer window, closing it and opening a new one but the old preview remains.

Btw, 60k for a 2.0Ghz macbook with 80GB HDD and 1GB RAM.

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

goobimama said:
First of all, text documents and word files and such don't even preview on the PC (maybe with some plugins, i'm not sure). Only video and pictures and PDF after installing adobe acrobat reader.

Just install the software like MS word & they do preview.

goobimama

 Macboy

Hmm. I've installed MS Word et al, but still not previews. Even for text files.

Top Bottom