The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Re: The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Macs.

I was so eager to see how Leopard preformed on my aging PowerBook. It installed, and the computer restarted. I went through the normal setup, and everything seemed nice and polished. So when I got to the Desktop, I wanted to see for myself how the non-transparent Dock looked like at the bottom of the screen. I went into Terminal and entered the following code:

Code:
defaults write com.apple.Dock no-glass -boolean YES
killall Dock
Then after the Dock restarted, and the new Dock was flat and dark, but I realized that something else was different. My eyes floated to the top of the screen to see a non-transparent Menu Bar. Yes! Disabling the 3D Dock made the Menu Bar "normal."

Source: Insanelymac

goobimama

 Macboy

I love the new Dock and menubar. But still, nice tip. Might come in handy some time later....

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

For me, definitely not.

kalpik said:
@arya: That window is gorgeous! Windows/Linux does not even touch that kind of gorgeous!
Glad to see at least someone being very objective. :)

Have you seen Time Machine's interface yet? The only backup application ever that makes you want to use it.

goobimama

 Macboy

The only backup application ever that makes you want to use it.
Heheh... we keep enacting small time plays of deleting files and then recovering them, complete with a high pitched scream and a few curses thrown in!

-------------------------------

As for Front row, my favourite app on the mac, I'm finally warming up to it's latest iteration. Except for that stupid stupid pausing of the music, which I can't believe they did, the rest of the package seems to be worthy of Front Row 2.0.

For instance, if you play a track, then go back by pressing the menu, the track shows a "currently playing" icon. Clicking it takes you back to the track unlike the previous one which started the track all over again. Also, if you go back to a different menu or whatever, waiting a few seconds takes you to the now playing window.

The fast forward buttons for movies also have three stages. So moving around video has been improvised. Of course, the click-forward thing works just as well for super fast forwarding.

The menu scrolling is one thing that I find greatly improved. It is much smoother and doesn't feel like it's being controlled by a remote. Very smooth and fluid. No pauses whatsoever.

Photos now includes events and doesn't default with the background music which is good.

The thumbnails moving on the side has been implemented throughout frontrow and looks really gorgeous. If someone requests for screenshots, I could up them...

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

goobimama said:
I also love the fact that there is NO SERIAL and NO ACTIVATION and NO REGISTRATION required for installing Leopard. A straightforward install with no hassles whatsoever gives the best end user experience.
Same with iLife. :)

goobimama said:
Heheh... we keep enacting small time plays of deleting files and then recovering them, complete with a high pitched scream and a few curses thrown in!
LOL! I knew you must be doing this. :p

goobimama said:
As for Front row, my favourite app on the mac, I'm finally warming up to it's latest iteration. Except for that stupid stupid pausing of the music, which I can't believe they did, the rest of the package seems to be worthy of Front Row 2.0.
Exactly. I'd wanted to post this exact same thing when you'd complained about it. The music pausing, though, has to go in v2.1.

goobimama said:
Also, if you go back to a different menu or whatever, waiting a few seconds takes you to the now playing window.
Isn't this a bit buggy? Doesn't it keep taking you back to the Now Playing screen every now and then while you navigate. It certainly did so in 9A559 but maybe it's been fixed now. Gotta give it a try.

goobimama said:
The fast forward buttons for movies also have three stages. So moving around video has been improvised. Of course, the click-forward thing works just as well for super fast forwarding.
Anothing thing that I wanted to post as a reply to your previous post. The fast forward and rewind functions have been greatly improved. I definitely prefer the new approach to the first version's.

goobimama said:
The menu scrolling is one thing that I find greatly improved. It is much smoother and doesn't feel like it's being controlled by a remote. Very smooth and fluid. No pauses whatsoever.
Exactly. I was shocked by it. It feels like you are just gliding through the interface. Butter smooth. Time Machine and Front Row are absolute winners when it comes to user interface design. Just imagine what v10.6 or v10.7 is gonna be like! :D

goobimama said:
Photos now includes events and doesn't default with the background music which is good.
Is not. I liked the music - not the tune, particularly, but the fact that there was some music to go with it. You could always have turned down the volume if you wished to. Is there any way to get it back?

goobimama said:
The thumbnails moving on the side has been implemented throughout frontrow and looks really gorgeous. If someone requests for screenshots, I could up them...
And how, may I know, do you intend to do that? Screenshots are not allowed while Front Row is active.

@Milind
Did you use Inquisitor on Tiger? If you did, check it out. It is now Leopard compatible. If you didn't, why on Earth are you missing out on it, dude?

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy

Exactly. I'd wanted to post this exact same thing when you'd complained about it. The music pausing, though, has to go in v2.1.
I don't think it's that simple. In the earlier front row, the music actually played through iTunes, while front row was just a shell. The new front row is an app by itself. iTunes doesn't even launch while music/photos play in front row. I hope this is fixed, but I don't see it as a small time bug fix on apple's part.

To grab screenshots of Front row, use Grab.app with a timed screenshot.

One thing I noticed in the new quicktime, which looks awesome, is that there's a fit to screen button in the fullscreen menu. While playing widescreen content, it just zooms the video in. But while playing 4:3 content, zooming meant further cropping the image which turned out to be less than satisfactory. But with the new quicktime, the sides are stretched while the center image is untouched. Here's some screenshots of what I mean:

Widescreened:
*img3.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/th.d7ce11319d.jpg

Original 4:3:
*img3.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/th.4ad69bcd20.jpg

Widescreen 4:3 FTW!

---------

I don't use Inquisitor cause I don't have internet on my iMac. Will install it after getting Leopard on the iBook though...

Last edited:

preshit.net

ex3n1us m4x1mus

Inquisitor, it is just for Safari, right ?

One more thing. In Safari 3, is there any way to enable a preview in the bottom bar when you hover the mouse over an active link, the way FF and Camino do ?

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

Yes, there is. Go to the 'View' menu and click on Show Status Bar. :)

@Milind
You only noticed that now? I've been wanting to see that feature in QuickTime even since I saw it on the iPhone and it's presence was one of the first things I noticed in Leopard. :)

preshit.net

ex3n1us m4x1mus

@Thanks.

@goobi / aryayush:
What's your choice of browser ? Why ?

goobimama

 Macboy

Safari. Cause it's so well integrated with the system.

About the quicktime thing, you do realise that I just about installed Leopard eh! I did notice it at first, but didn't think I should write a really really long post including all the things I like about this new mac that I've added to my mac...

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

Spouting marketing slogans fed directly by Apple, are we? :p

@DARK LORD
I did not use Safari when it was v2.0. I preferred a combination of OmniWeb and Opera at that time. But I wasn't really satisfied. OmniWeb was a completely resource hog and Opera just has a crappy Windows interface.

But then Apple released the Safari 3.0 beta and it had removable tabs, absolutely ridiculously fast loading times and a very well implemented search feature. I've been in love ever since. :p

preshit.net

ex3n1us m4x1mus

Well..

I first tried Safari ( obviously ). :-o OMG NO TABS?!?!?!. I had to download FireFox. Then tried FireFox. Its just O.K. I hate the fact that the default theme has the close button on the Tabs to the right of the tab.

While going through one of your posts, I came to know about Camino. I'm kinda liking Camino.

I even tried Safari 3.0.3. However, I kinda feel it gets slow ( in loading webpages ) sometimes.

Right now, I'm shuffling between Camino and Safari 3. One question though. Does any of these have something like Adblock+ ?

[EDIT]
I did not know about OmniWeb and Opera. Good I didn't try them :p

Last edited:
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

Umm... Safari has the best implementation of tabs in the world, buddy. It is just not enabled by default. Hit ⌘, to open the Preferences window and enable it. :)

There are several ad-blocking plugins available for Safari. Just pay a visit to *www.pimpmysafari.com/

I didn't know we had another Mac user in our midst. Who are you? Name, age, location? You have a MacBook, I suppose? :)

preshit.net

ex3n1us m4x1mus

^^ Lol. You're on my Yahoo list :p. I _did_ want to buy the MacBook, but had to settle for the Mini. Read the "Buying a Mac" thread in the Chit-Chat section. Milind had already commented there :)

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

What's your name and Yahoo! ID?

preshit.net

ex3n1us m4x1mus

Preshit.
And well, the yahoo ID is right under my avatar :D

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

Oh, you're Preshit. Please pardon my incredibly weak memory and tendency to not remember people! :p

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

iMav said:
defaults write com.apple.Dock no-glass -boolean YES
killall Dock

Yipeeeeeeeee, thanx u manan

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

DARK LORD said:
So, am I welcome aboard ?
LOL! Of course you are. Everyone is welcome to the Mac family (well, most people anyway)! Do I need to tell you that? :)

Top Bottom