The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters

goobimama

 Macboy
Re: The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Macs.

Woohoooo! Leopard is awesome! Everything is so fast. Worth the wait...

Did I mention that Leopard is awesome? Oh yes I did! Cause it is!

Oh, and I forgot to mention. It took 6 minutes (Actually 10 counting the booting from disk, double checking my steps, to restarting) to fresh install Leopard. I did it from the Firewire disk, but still, 6 minutes and the install was done! 6 minutes! I wish I had done a video of it for proof.

Last edited:

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member

Firewire disk? :confused: goobi elaborate pls :) .. yea I would like to see a video , its just 6 mins na :p

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

The poor guy did not know it would take only six minutes, otherwise he would have recorded that video.

Anyway, I'll do a video when I install it tomorrow. Watch out for it. :)

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member

^ Thanks arya .. ahem .. new movie staring Steve Jobs in "Leopard in 6 Minutes" ....

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

I have my doubts about those six minutes though.

Six minutes! Honestly! That's just insane. I have a feeling Apple would've felt proud to advertise that if it were the case.

But then again, Milind is not the sort who'll lie and specially to me, on the phone. Mac user to Mac user - there's no need to lie (not that we do it otherwise either). :D

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

cant wait for it to come :twisted: .... another showdown in the making .... part II

goobimama

 Macboy

On the flip side, it did take an hour and ten minutes installing it on a 24" Crappy (new) iMac using a 2.5" external on USB...

I don't think Apple wishes people to install Leopard using their external hard drives. I'm guessing the DVD install would have taken much longer...

As for elaborating: I just "restored" the Leopard disk image onto the external drive using disk utility. It didn't even delete any of my other files on there. Then I booted using the external drive, which was really fast. Fiddled around with the options, saw that there's a network utility that's added to the bootable image as well as "restore from Time Machine". Stuff like that. Then proceeded on to "Erase and Install" which makes it a brand new mac. Then the progress bar showed six minutes so I rushed to my cellphone and time it. It did complete in six minutes. Not that it matters, it's just a one time thingie... the main thing is Leopard...which I'm just about still exploring. The OS is really really polished. Lots of little things not mentioned in the features page, but greatly improve the look and user experience...

Btw, if you choose "Upgrade", you don't get the Welcome video (which is what was done on the 24" iMac mentioned above). Just takes you directly to your 'old' desktop with the 'old' wallpaper. The welcome video is not something a macboy should miss out on...

Last edited:

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member

ok so the installation "will" take considerable time .. its the restore which is super fast.... me disappointed but still ok with the time machine feature.

goobimama

 Macboy

What? No. Not restore. I had the install disk image. Instead of burning that image and installing from thereon, I put that disk onto an external drive and installed it from there. The 'installation' took 6 minutes. Consider the external hard drive as the installation DVD.

Btw, are you familiar with OS X and it's workings?

Last edited:

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member

^^ ok got your point ..

and for your second question .. I have not used OS X :p , but im very interested about its features ;) also owning a MBP is my dream :D

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

kyon paise barbaad kar rahe ho yaar .... :lol: show piece chahiyeh toh koi antique le lo .... antique ka re-sale is much better than a mac book :lol:

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member

^^^ lol imav , well its still a dream :p

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

goobimama said:
I don't think Apple wishes people to install Leopard using their external hard drives. I'm guessing the DVD install would have taken much longer...

That explanis the 2 hrs time the guy in the Leopard tour stated :D

I just "restored" the Leopard disk image onto the external drive using disk utility.
Then proceeded on to "Erase and Install" which makes it a brand new mac. Then the progress bar showed six minutes so I rushed to my cellphone and time it. It did complete in six minutes.

Wait, u did this? THIS? Goobi u just restored a Disk image of leopard & thats why it took 6 mins, ever seen norton ghost restoring a Windows XP system in 15 mins from a DVD? I guess U haven't.

Consider the external hard drive as the installation DVD.

Its a hard disk, obviously installing from a Firewire HD is faster then a DVD

The OS is really really polished. Lots of little things not mentioned in the features page, but greatly improve the look and user experience...

Just tell me if I can set the Apple menu to opaque again.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

gx_saurav said:
Goobi u just restored a Disk image of leopard & thats why it took 6 mins, ever seen norton ghost restoring a Windows XP system in 15 mins from a DVD?
He "installed" it. He restored the disk image to an external hard drive and then installed it from there. A complete, clean install that took only six minutes to complete over FireWire 400. Again, it does not really matter but six minutes is, like - holy crap!

Also, a bonus point to Disk Utility which makes it so easy to restore a disk image to an external drive.

Oh, damn it! There go my dreams of using Time Machine and that gorgeous interface. It does not make bootable backups. What on Earth were Apple thinking! That is an absolute must-have feature and Apple missed it. Dang! :mad:

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy

Spaces. I never knew it would be so good. I thought okay, apple designed virtual desktops. Fine. I may or may not use it. But within these few hours of using it, I've already gone crazy about spaces. The very fact that you know where your space is, makes it really useful.

As for Time Machine, surely the killer app. I don't really need bootable backups, though I'd expect some to want that feature. Still, since it takes six minutes to reinstall, and you can just as well restore your system using time machine, it's almost there. I'm so glad my hard drive came at just the right time.

Front row. They've amazingly screwed it up. While the new interface has a lot of improvements, it takes away some of the most important things. The music pauses when invoking frontrow, and pauses when getting out of the 'music' menu. This really sucks. Also, the click-forward timings are changed. The earlier click forward timings were perfect. You could skip and entire TV show opening credits with one click. And if it went a little too ahead, just click-back. The click back was short while the click forward was long. Now it's unpredictable. Of course there are a lot of improvements....

Stacks. Another killer feature. And since each icon renders a preview, you can immediately know which stack you want. And it's even got drag and drop between stacks, finder windows and whatnot. This has won me over.

Now, for the unnecessary quoting:
Its a hard disk, obviously installing from a Firewire HD is faster then a DVD
What the hell! I mentioned that it will obviously faster than Firewire. You don't have to go 'against me' and say 'pretty much the same thing'.

Just tell me if I can set the Apple menu to opaque again.
I find no problems with the transparent menu bar. It's quite usable. And I'm sure someone will bring about a menubar hack which will make it opaque again....

Apart from the ‘main stuff’, some of the many things I find that just amaze me:

The cosmetic changes. The OS is just too good looking. And while i know this is superficial, I am one for eye candy. But it has to be usable. Apart from the new dock, menubar and the new unified windows, here's a screenshot of the menu's. They have rounded edges which makes them look really amazing.

*img3.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/b38f2ff93c.jpg

Spotlight is lightning fast. Now you will say the same about Windows search and others. Well that 'was' the speed of spotlight in Tiger. This is really really really fast. Instant. Kaboom! It also throws up a dictionary meaning for any word that is searched for.

*img3.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/f5ac0eca89.jpg

Then there's the improved help. Right from the menubar. And if there's a menu command, you just move down to it and it shows you where the menu is.

*img3.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/19d674f434.jpg

A lot of stuff has animation attached to it. And useful at that. When you create a new folder, it sort of moves out of the mouse pointer and onto the window. So you know where the 'new folder' is created immediately. Preview animates the zooming in and out of images. And finally, the open/save dialog boxes have a "media" menu on the side where you can access all iPhoto, Music and Movies right from there. And Photos in any Media browser includes 'events'.

And one big feature surprise that wasn't mentioned anywhere else. It is faster than Tiger! You would expect that the newer OS will be slower than its previous one, but in leopard everything is zippy. Most of the apps open with one bounce. There's no lag in anything.

Now for the baddies:
Frontrow. i've mentioned it before. Front row while having some nice improvements takes away a lot. When you get into Front Row, it pauses iTunes. When you get out of the "Music" menu in frontrow, it pauses the music. This really sucks. I think they've just about ripped the front row interface from AppleTV and dumped it on leopard. The click-forward/backward timings are all mixed up and unpredictable (though I think these are just bugs waiting to be ironed out). That said, Front Row has a beautiful interface and is much more fluid than the earlier one. Just hope that these things are taken care of.

Finder seems to give too much importance to Coverflow. I like coverflow in finder, but I like it at a certain size. Now, when you resize a finder window, the coverflow size increases, not the list at the bottom. So you have to resize a window, then reduce the coverflow size to get some viewing area. Hope someone addresses these.

Last edited:

yash

I draw every day

Finally! one very informative post after such a lot of jibberish! I didn't really mess around with frontrow to know what you were talking about. but I really like the help feature and the arrow pointing to the possible answer. I did not know that.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

I love the screen that you see when you launch iWork '08 for the first time:
*img88.imageshack.us/img88/831/iwork081ql0.png
*img232.imageshack.us/img232/5544/iwork082hh8.png

After Time Machine, that's the most beautifully designed window I've seen. :)

goobimama

 Macboy

Yep. I actually wait for the 30 day trial to get over, after which I enter my serial number. These guys are getting better and better at interfaces.

I also love the fact that there is NO SERIAL and NO ACTIVATION and NO REGISTRATION required for installing Leopard. A straightforward install with no hassles whatsoever gives the best end user experience.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

Welcome to the payment optional great interface design super operating system! :p

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"

@arya: That window is gorgeous! Windows/Linux does not even touch that kind of gorgeous!

Top Bottom