The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters
@Artemis,If you don't play games,then Mac OS X is the best available OS for you.You will never need Windows coz there are much better Mac counterparts of those apps available.

Even if you play games,it will force you to use it like it did to me.

dinesh72

Journeyman
^^^Indeed.
Touchwood.

How do I back up my MBP restore dvd, just in case?
Is it simple copy or some special needs.....bootable?

Last edited:

Artemis

The Last Puff
I wanted to know that is there any alternative to Microsoft Solid Works?? I dont want MAya or 3dmax, coz that will be my main usage.

Also for the Graphics dept. I think 256Mb ddr3 is enough, 512 won't show much diff. in a 8600GT, what do u guys think??

At this price point I think they should have atleast given an 8700Gt, Alienware and Dell have them.
What is the performance diff. b/w the two cards?

^^
If you start looking at configurations and VFM,then you can never buy a mac.Get the 15.4" MBP(second one)or 17" and Leapord would run more than perfect on it.
You get the best quality material and the best OS to use.Also,the Macs look prettier than any other computer(especially PCs).That all is what Apple charges you for!

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
At this price point I think they should have atleast given an 8700Gt, Alienware and Dell have them.
Apple will never outfit its machines with top-of-the-line graphics cards. If graphics and gaming is your thing, you shouldn’t buy a Mac. :)

i$eman

Broken In
Friends ... Bumped onto this freeware ... Thought it could be of use for mac users.
Copy pasting the info.

The MenuMeters monitors are true SystemUIServer plugins (also known as Menu Extras). This means they can be reordered using command-drag and remember their positions in the menubar across logins and restarts.

• The CPU Meter can display system load both as a total percentage, or broken out as user and system time. It can also graph user and system load and display the load as a "thermometer". The menu for the CPU Meter contains several pieces of information I like to have a single click away (uptime, load average, open Process Viewer, open Console).
  • The Disk Activity Meter displays disk activity to local disks on the system (anything that is a IOKit BlockStorage driver). It is hotplug aware, and will show activity on FireWire and USB disks as they are mounted. The Disk Meter menu shows volume space details for local drives (it does not display mounted network volumes for speed reasons).
  • The Memory Meter can display current memory usage as either a pie chart, thermometer, history graph, or as used/free totals. The Memory Meter menu shows a breakdown of current memory usage and VM statistics. The Memory Meter can optionally display a paging indicator light.
  • The Net Meter can display network throughput as arrows, bytes per second, and/or as a graph. Both the arrows and the graph are scaled using a user-selected scaling factor and calculation. Scaling can be done on the basis of actual link speed reported by the network interface or peak traffic and can use one of several scaling calculations. The Net Meter menu shows current interfaces and their status.

*www.ragingmenace.com/software/menumeters/

Enjoy.

dinesh72

Journeyman
I got 4 .mkv files. Each of 1.07 GB. None of them is recognised by VLC or any player. Is there anyway to get them working. Are they not complete which is why not recognised?

Last edited by a moderator:

goobimama

 Macboy
^^ They should definitely play in VLC. Do you have Quicktime + Perian installed? Cause Quicktime should play them as well. Else your files are corrupted.

i$eman

Broken In
iStat Pro can do it all alone!
It's also a freeware.

Cool ... Will try.
Thanks mate.

Guys need some help.
I'm looking for a application ( freeware or shareware ) that can convert any video file ( avi, 3gp etc ) to DVD, then create a menu and finally burn it to a dvd.
Any suggestion's ??

Thanks

goobimama

 Macboy
^^ Quicktime Pro.

-----
Or yeah, Visualhub can do pretty much anything and that too, awesomely.

Last edited:

jamesbond007

 MacManiac
^^^ Oh you've got external DVD-Writer for you Mac. Can you name the brand, model and cost ? I think its high time for me to buy one for my MacBook. Looks like the SuperDrive custom made for MBA doesn't work with anyother Macs ( unless ofcourse you do some hacking the hardware ).

Last edited:

i$eman

Broken In
^^ its a liteon external usb dvd writer ...Bought it quite sometime ago ... along with the case it cost approx 3k.

dinesh72

Journeyman
In MobileMe, mail received time stamp is PDT but my computer is set on BST. How do I change it to show me the time as of my computer time.

Top Bottom