The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Re: The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Macs.

I said the bread-crumb navigation in Vista is useless? When? Show it to me.

I never did. I said that the column view is loads better because you can see the contents of each folder and can drag stuff to them to, which you cannot do with the bread-crumb bar in Vista. If you did not know yet, you can indeed drag stuff to the path bar in Leopard, thus making it more useful than Vista's implementation.

I don't know where you get your ideas from but the bread-crumb bar was the best addition to Explorer, far better than that stupid checkbox thing to select files. The only gripe is that it could have been a lot more useful than it is now if Microsoft had one of Apple's defining qualities - attention to detail.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

ya ya now that apple has it u never said anything about the breadcrumb ;) as i said u remind me of my brother's behavior at the dinner table ;)

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

aryayush said:
I said the bread-crumb navigation in Vista is useless? When? Show it to me.

Lolz....thook ke chatna, if Column view is so good then why complex things by giving the path bar :D

If you did not know yet, you can indeed drag stuff to the path bar in Leopard, thus making it more useful than Vista's implementation.

No. U can indeed drag & drop to that particular folder, but not inside a folder inside the parent folder. Also you cannot go from somewhere to somewhere using the path bar

I don't know where you get your ideas from but the bread-crumb bar was the best addition to Explorer, far better than that stupid checkbox thing to select files.

Tomorrow if Apple uses check box too, again..thook ke chatna :D

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

gx_saurav said:
No. U can indeed drag & drop to that particular folder, but not inside a folder inside the parent folder.
Yes, you can.

gx_saurav said:
Also you cannot go from somewhere to somewhere using the path bar
Yes, you can. What do you think it is for then? For staring at the folder names!

Four people have bought a Mac due to my influence, directly or indirectly, and all of them have been very happy with their respective purchases. Today, another person bought it. She's my sister and has worked for Google for two months. She's just bought it today; let's see whether she likes it or not.

One person, however, did not buy a Mac (I hadn't even suggested it to him because I don't particularly like him). He is an IIT student and bought a Dell. Dirt cheap. Five days later, some keys on the keyboard stopped working. He had that fixed without any issues. Then, one day he went to my sister's house, who has a MacBook and guess what he says, "Saala, main bhi Mac hi le leta!" My sister, who had advised him to buy a MacBook, just started at him.

(This post is for recounting my experience to fellow Mac users, which does not include gx_saurav and iMav - so you are not required to respond to it.)

Last edited:

yash

I draw every day

aryayush, the rumor mill says that new macs are brushed metal, not the 'iphone glass' macs... check it out here *www.tuaw.com/2007/06/04/rumor-brushed-metal-imacs/

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

This is why I always say Apple's attention to detail is simply awe-inspiring. When you schedule your Mac to automatically go to sleep/shut down at some time (which, in itself, is an extremely simple thing to do), it shows this dialog box ten minutes before going to sleep:

*img168.imageshack.us/img168/1935/picture2nl6.png

My Mac is scheduled to go to sleep at 07:55 AM in the morning. Day before yesterday, I was awake and using it before that time. When it was about 07:52, I thought it would probably be better to disable the automatic sleep option otherwise it would sleep and I would have to wake it up. But then I thought - OK, I'll not disable it and once it goes to sleep, I'll go and have a bath, do hawan, have breakfast and then use my Mac.
At 07:55, this popped up. I was amazed. I was absolutely shocked. Some engineer at Apple even thought this through. This is simply crazy stuff. :D

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy

Oh the time just doesn't pass. I slept for 12 hours tonight (woke up at 5 in the evening) just so the wait will get easier... aayush, see you at engadget at 10:30..

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

LOL! I do this too. Although I am so addicted to my Mac that the prospect of sleeping for long hours is scary. But I do wish I could just sleep and wake up at 10:30 PM. :D

Both of you, Milind and Yash, come online on Yahoo! at that time. We'll have a conference chat during the live blog. :)

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

aryayush said:
Both of you, Milind and Yash, come online on Yahoo! at that time. We'll have a conference chat during the live blog
yes plan ur stratergy :D u will certainly have to stick together coz its not gonna be surprising that another good peice of hardware is gonna be ruined by stupid software :lol:

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

Sigh! *us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/46.gif

But we did manage five posts between us - that must be a new record.

Alas! Good things and great times never last.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

aryayush said:
When you schedule your Mac to automatically go to sleep/shut down at some time (which, in itself, is an extremely simple thing to do), it shows this dialog box ten minutes before going to sleep

Ah! ....I have to resist talking about the extremely powerful Windows Schedular engine :D, which can easily do this & whatever else u want.

aryayush said:
(This post is for recounting my experience to fellow Mac users, which does not include gx_saurav and iMav - so you are not required to respond to it.)

Why do u always drag us?

My monitor broke again, I am gonna sue Samsung tomorrow. Damn....I hope I can see the Webcast on TV (using as monitor :D which Mac users can't do.)

Last edited:

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..

Whats the big deal !! Its as dumb like the harry potter craze, yet not that popular .

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

tarey_g said:
Whats the big deal !! Its as dumb like the harry potter craze, yet not that popular .
I know, but just look at the UI, it looks so cool :D

Besides, I wanna see how much more Apple has copied Alienware, HP touchsmart PCs etc....if today Apple releases a touch screen based iMac then Arya will be the first one to say "Apple innovated" when he doesn't even knows about HP Touchsmart PC or GSX Concept PC :D

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

Yeah, they'll surely copy that last one. LOL! :lol:

I know a man can dream... but there's a limit! :lol:

The live coverage has kicked off!

MacNN is also covering it. Text only updates but it has auto-reload. Cool! :D

Thanks to Anand for the info! :)

1. Consistent growth thrice the rate of the rest of the industry.

*www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2007/08/dsc_1305.jpg

2. New glass and aluminium iMacs.

*www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2007/08/dsc_1309.jpg

*www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2007/08/dsc_1313.jpg

*www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2007/08/dsc_1310.jpg

*www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2007/08/dsc_1319.jpg

"Up to 2.4GHz Core 2 Extreme processor, up to 4GB of memory. ATI Radeon HD graphics card, up to 1TB of hard drive storage. 802.11n and Bluetooth 2.0 built-in."

3. iPhoto '08

• Big upgrade to iPhoto. A new 'Events' view makes managing photos easier than ever before.
  • A new hide photos feature.
  • Moving the mouse over an event shows a preview. This is called "skimming".

*www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2007/08/dsc_1334.jpg

4. .Mac
  • New web gallery neatly integrated with iPhoto '08.
  • Rich web 2.0 experience.
  • Allows print quality downloads.
  • One-button publishing.
  • Integrated with the iPhone.
  • Any browser, any operating system.
  • Anyone can upload to anyone's gallery if permitted, using specially generated email addresses.
  • "Skimming" in the web app too.
  • 10GB storage.
  • Same price. Sigh!

*www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2007/08/dsc_1331.jpg

*www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2007/08/dsc_1332.jpg

*www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2007/08/dsc_1370.jpg

[Continued...

Last edited:
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

... here.]

5. iMovie '08
  • A whole new application with a different icon.
  • Mostly engineered by just one Apple engineer.
  • Hear that sound? That is Windows Movie Maker crying. Awesome application, this one!
  • Can upload to YouTube directly. All built in.
  • Standard resolution better than DVD quality.
  • Skimming.
  • Too many features to list here.
  • Awesome icon. ;)
  • .Mac web gallery.
  • Custom resolution for iPhone, fully integrated.
  • Make a movie in twenty minutes flat.
*www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2007/08/dsc_1337.jpg

*www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2007/08/dsc_1339.jpg

6. iWeb '08
  • Live web widgets.
  • Integrated with Google Maps. (They're crazy about Google Maps and YouTube!)
  • Google AdSense. (Sign up and manage it from within the application itself. Cool!)
  • Media index page.
  • Personal domain. (Yay! I am subscribing if they lower the price.)
  • More themes, of course.

*www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2007/08/dsc_1346.jpg

7. iDVD '08
  • Pro encoding.
  • New themes.

*www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2007/08/dsc_1352.jpg

8. GarageBand
  • New feature called "Magic GarageBand".
  • Multi-take recording.
  • Play with built-in genres.

*www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2007/08/dsc_1354.jpg

*www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2007/08/dsc_1362.jpg

*www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2007/08/dsc_1355.jpg

*www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2007/08/dsc_1367.jpg

9. Keynote '08
  • Now, this is getting insane! :p
  • New text effects in Keynote.
  • New transitions.
  • Instant Alpha. Take the background out of photographs.
  • Smart Builds allows more complex animations.
  • Great new themes.

10. Pages '08
  • Two modes: Page layout and Word processor.
  • Contextual format bar.
  • Tracks changes.
  • Compatible with Word documents, as usual.
  • 140 Apple designed templates

11. Numbers '08
  • A new spreadsheet application. Take that, Office!
  • Intelligent tables.
  • Readable formulas.
  • Checkboxes and sliders.
  • Sort and filter.
  • Flexible canvas.
  • Charts, images and text.
  • Interactive printing.
  • Beautiful templates.
  • Fully compatible with Excel documents.
  • iWork '08 will retail for $79.
  • Both iLife '08 and iWork '08 work well with both Tiger and Leopard.

*www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2007/08/dsc_1374.jpg

*www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2007/08/dsc_1378.jpg

*www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2007/08/dsc_1376.jpg

*www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2007/08/dsc_1375.jpg

11. Mac Mini refresh as well. Faster processors. It is not dying.

"How well will you market this ecosystem to consumers, and show how seamlessly all this stuff works together?"

Steve: "We've got a phenomenal customer base, they show their friends and their friends get jealous."

"Why are you not participating in Intel Inside program and not putting stickers on your Macs?"

Steve: "What can I say? We like our own stickers better. Don't get me wrong, we love Intel, combined with our OS, we've really tuned them well together. Everyone knows we use Intel processors, we'd rather tell them about the product inside the box."

Phil: "Too much stuff on PC box, stickers on laptop, trialware, You don't have to peel stuff off."

"How thin are the iMacs?"

Steve: "Really thin. You'll get your hands on it in a minute, but they're appreciably thinner."

"Two thirds of your products on mobile side, where do things go on the Mac side."

Steve: "Desktops still an important part. Don't require miniaturization of notebook, can offer bigger keyboards, screens, lower cost. Some consumers will want to own both. We think iMac has bright future ahead of it."

"Didn't mention Mac mini today, how is it doing?"

Tim: "We're refreshing the Mac mini today."

"Mentioned AdSense, what's the relationship between Apple and Google?"

Steve: "We are working closer with Google, they offer back end services we want to tie into our offerings. Google likes our products, too."

"Looking at what you've done with the iPhone, there's volatility in the stock. How satisfied that the product is on track?"

Steve: "We think the iPhone is a pretty strong success, we think most of the world sees it that way too. We're really happy with how it's going."

"How is Apple TV today? How does it fit into Mac?"

Steve: "We're here to talk about Mac, we'll have some news for the Apple TV soon, but nothing to talk about today."

"What about AMD chips?"

Steve: "We use Intel chips"

"What about the iMac in business?"

Tim: "We're seeing a lot of growth in business use. Mac is growing and a lot of that is business."

Steve: "A lot of other apps that run on the Mac, MSFT Office. But don't discount that more and more of business is communication, so lots of people have to sell internally, and they're excited about the tools we're offering. We see the iMac having some traction in business."

"With someone editing movies and going to publish, why not support HD uploads?"

Steve: "We do. Turns out that HD camcorders don't have sensors that are full HD, so they produce images that are slightly lower than HD, but are still stellar. We use that res, which is close, but not quite HD. Best you can do under $10k" Uh, that's not quite right, is it?

"Introduced multitouch on iPhone, what about for the Mac?"

Steve: "Makes sense for the iPhone, not sure it makes sense in the Mac. Classify that as a research project."

Last question: "There has been a suggestion that Apple appeals to smaller elite than mass customer base. Is it your goal to overtake PC in marketshare?"

Steve: "Goal is to make the best PC in the world, and make something we can recommend to family in friends. There is some stuff in our industry we wouldn't be proud to ship. We can't ship junk. Thresholds we just can't cross. But we want to make the best personal computers in the industry. Our products are usually not premium priced. Price our competitors' computers, and add in all the extras, we're competitive. We don't offer stripped down products. We compare favorably. Thank you very much for coming today."

Awesome reply!!

That's it. Goodbye! :)

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

Moving the mouse over an event shows a preview. This is called "skimming".
Wonder if this is copied from Windows Photo gallery. U got a screenshot of this?

I hope iPhoto now supports tree view nevigation

Rest...well...already been using in terms of Lightroom/ACDSee. Nothing new or appeling in iPhoto 08
Hear that sound? That is Windows Movie Maker crying. Awesome application, this one!
Compare Windows Movie Maker in Vista (Free with OS) with this additional paid add-on :D, what a comparision. Is iMovie free & bundled in the OS? No you have to buy it seperately from the OS. For the same price, compare that to Photoshop Elements, & still iMovie lacks behind in terms of export options & file types.

• Too many features to list here.
  • Awesome icon. :wink:
:D Lolz...you call that a reason to buy this :p

• New text effects in Keynote.
  • New transitions.
:D Lolz...you call that a new feature to buy this :p

A new spreadsheet application. Take that, Office!
Intelligent tables.

Yeah, just 10 years late...hey does it opens Excel spreadsheets?

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

iDVD and iMovie and .Mac .... i wonder what prompted Apple to re-think these applications ... was it their creative heads or better appz offered for free by another software company :rolleyes: :roll:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

Numbers has 'full' compatibility with excel acc. to gizmodo

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

Hear that sound? That is Windows Movie Maker crying. Awesome application, this one!
Wait, both take small clips & put them on a timeline. What is Apple doing new with its paid applicaion that Windows Movie Maker for free isn't doing in Vista?

Pages
140 Apple designed templates
Can I make my own? Oh , sorry I can't.

11. Numbers '08
  • A new spreadsheet application. Take that, Office!
  • Intelligent tables.
  • Readable formulas.
  • Checkboxes and sliders.
  • Sort and filter.
  • Flexible canvas.
  • Charts, images and text.
  • Interactive printing.
  • Beautiful templates.
  • Fully compatible with Excel documents.
I am seriously asking, where are all the other features of excel? Where is 3d graph creation? Where is flowchart & bar graph creation? Where is Web server based graph updating?....what new does Number 08 does?

11. Mac Mini refresh as well. Faster processors. It is not dying.
Good, have they updated to GMA X3500? & reduced the price to Rs 25k?

goobimama said:
iMovie is also free with a mac....
Photoshop Elements OEM also comes bundled with Every OEM PC or Camera/Phone manufacturer. So...whats your point here?

Last edited:
Top Bottom