The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Well, I've never even used it. What can I say! I'd heard about it so I threw it your way in passing. :)

There are supposed to be a lot of good IM apps for the iPhone...

yash

I draw every day
the forum isn't automerging double posts anymore? and I ended up formating my time machine backup partition. And now that there has been a time machine update, I'll start fresh.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Dudes, have a gander at my latest article and, if you like it, please do digg it: *digg.com/apple/Roger_L_Kay_over_at_BusinessWeek_has_a_beef_with_Apple/

I think it is my best work yet and any and all feedback is appreciated. :)

@Milind,
Will you be anywhere near Mumbai on 29 March 2008? Care to attend BarCamp Mumbai? Preshit will be there, and me too. :)

Yash, when will you reach India? Dr., where are you right now? Azeem, where do you live?

preshit.net

ex3n1us m4x1mus
I am not sure if people already know this or not.

Code:
defaults write com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes 1

Running the above in the Terminal will let you backup to a USB HDD connected to Airport Extreme via Time Machine.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
The latest software update allows you to do this natively. No need to resort to Terminal trickery anymore. :)

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Publisher Posts Mac Books on The Pirate Bay
Written by Ernesto on March 20, 2008

No Starch Press and Wired’s news editor Leander Kahney have released free copies of “The Cult of Mac” and “The Cult of iPod” on the Pirate Bay. Publishing music, movies and books on BitTorrent seems to be becoming a trend, and there’s nothing wrong with that.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​
The success of the best selling author Paulo Coelho, who posted several of his books on BitTorrent, has inspired the publisher and Leander Kahney -the author of the two books- to do the same.

No Starch Press’ Bill Pollock uploaded the torrent to The Pirate Bay himself, as he writes: “I think that publishers (music and book) are spending too much time circling the wagons and not enough time thinking of ways that they can use technology to advantage. Read more...

[Via TorrentFreak]

Download The Cult of Mac and The Cult of iPod

I'd been searching for these books in stores for months. I am so happy by this development. :)

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
I'm typing this on an iPod touch using it as a remote control for my Mac. This is the friggin' awesome, the ultimate Mac geek dream come true.

If there ever was a reason not to purchase an iPhone, it's now laughably irrelevant for me.

Signing off. :)

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
I'm typing this on an iPod touch using it as a remote control for my Mac. This is the friggin' awesome, the ultimate Mac geek dream come true.

If there ever was a reason not to purchase an iPhone, it's now laughably irrelevant for me.

Signing off. :)

Welcome to 20th Century....:D

I have been using my K750i as a remote control on my Windows Vista PC since...god know when & before that with Windows XP & K700i.

Why are you Mac users always behind us Windows users in getting features :d

preshit.net

ex3n1us m4x1mus
He talks of the feature being his first-time, not a Mac first-time.

Come on.. there's not need for comparison for such things.

Holy moly. This thing is so cool. Typing this using touchpad pro. Dad's amazed, mom thinks I'm a genius.

Last edited:
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
It wasn't my first time either. I remote controlled Mac OS X from my W550i long before gx_saurav was born. As an added bonus, it hadn't required any third party software.

But doing it on an iPod touch/iPhone is a completely different ball-game. The huge Multi-Touch screen combined with Smart Scroll X on my Mac made it awesome. I could move the mouse almost as fast as I can on the trackpad.

On gx_saurav's K750i, each press of a button moves the mouse one step in either direction. Moving from one edge of the screen to the other is like a trek across Greenland. The difference between the two mediums is as profound as some coconut water on the corner of the road and a strawberry shake in the Grand Hyatt. :lol:

Using remote screen sharing, I closed Twitterific, opened a new tab in Safari, went to the subscriptions page on this forum, clicked on this topic, typed that whole thing into the Quick Reply field and hit Post Quick Reply–all using just the iPod touch and within five minutes.

If you did all that using a K750i and Windows Vista, your grandkids would be complaining that you'd been hogging the computer for too long by the time you'd be done.

---------------------------

A juicy tidbit I ran across on the Innernets:

Joe Wilcox on the Microsoft Watch blog (a site infamous for being unabashedly biased in favour of Microsoft): "Microsoft brags about improved CSS support and limited HTML 5 support in IE 8, which won't likely be released until next year (yeah, that's the timing I got from Microsoft). Apple claims support for CSS animations, HTML 5 multimedia and Web fonts. Today. Not someday. And it's available without asking."

Microsoft's family is falling apart. The kids are starting to rebel and the parents are doing crazy cheerleading sequences with chants of "developers, developers, developers", scaring the ones who weren't gutsy enough to rebel. It would have been funny had it not been so pitiful.

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy
The difference between the two mediums is as profound as some coconut water on the corner of the road and a strawberry shake in the Grand Hyatt.
While I'm sure your example was just an example, but I'd any day have some coconut water on the roadside than a crappy shake at the Grand Hyatt. Unless you meant it the other way :)

A question though: Who's touch did you manage to get a hold of? Or did you buy one?

jamesbond007

 MacManiac
heyy I used K750i to remote control Vaio laptop ( Win XP ), loooong time back, and I must tell you... It stinks!!!
It has nothing to do with hating Win and loving Mac, its just my experience!! No offence!!

I'd definitely want to try a lot of thing with iPhone, iTouch and Mac!!

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
goobimama said:
Yippadedooo! Broadband aa gayaaa! Sabke liye sharaab ki botal!
Thank God! I hope the incessant whining will come to a stop now. :p

No, but seriously, I'm genuinely happy for you. Hopefully, we'll be able to have a proper iChat someday now (maybe today?).

As for the coconut water thing, the interpretation has been left to the reader. I'm sure everyone got the gist of it though. :D

And I'm going to be in Mumbai from March 27 – April 2. I'm surely going to meet Milind and Preshit and attend the BarCamp. If anyone else is going to be in the city, let us all meet up. :)

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
I'll be stuck here in Chennai, though would love to meet our lovely members/friends... Someone take a camera along. We need photos of the meet and the places you guys went..

@ goobi -
You didn't reply back?

preshit.net

ex3n1us m4x1mus
Goobi, you're coming too ?

Just so that everyone knows, the iPhone/iPod Touch + TouchPadPro also works with a Windows / Linux PC and is not limited to a Mac.

yash

I draw every day
wait! stop everything! go back to remote screen sharing!
you saw your desktop on your ipod touch? how? your screen resolution is huge and ipod touch is only 480x320

oops, scratch that! *img155.imageshack.us/img155/7352/photo15dl3.jpg

Its just that right click mechanism in VnSea is crap.

Last edited:
Top Bottom