The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Re: The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Macs.

To both of you, I am really sorry but I simply won't help anyone with installing and troubleshooting Mac OS X on a PC. It is illegal. I'm sure you'll find other, more willing people for the job though.

@mayneu, I have a 17-inch Apple MacBook Pro. :)

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

hmmm ... its happening on my friend's mac

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

LOL! :lol:

It cannot happen on a Mac.

assasin

Banned

@mayneu just google it yaar,u'll get all the help u want.u can also install it thru VMWare.i've tried it and its 100% working..:D

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief

How much does a MacBook cost? (Normal is okay with me .. Don't want Pro)

Also, will a normal MacBook run Windows (Dual boot) fine enough?

nepcker

Proud Mac Pro Owner

@QwertyManiac
Try visiting www.apple.com/macbook

But don't even think of any 3D-intensive tasks (e.g. 3d games, other 3d apps) on the macbook. For that you're better off buying a MacBook Pro. (www.apple.com/macbookpro)

Mac will run Windows pretty nicely. If you just one to run a few Windows apps, try using CrossOver, as you can run Windows apps without the need of buying Windows. You may also want to try Parallels Desktop's Coherence mode.

For a complete Windows, you'll need to consider Apple's own Boot Camp software (dual booting, the best if you want to get the full utilization of the mac's power).

This month's Macworld (US edition) has a great article about runing Windows on a mac. Check it out at *www.macworld.com/2007/04/features/windows_intro/index.php

Last edited:
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

QwertyManiac said:
How much does a MacBook cost? (Normal is okay with me .. Don't want Pro)

Also, will a normal MacBook run Windows (Dual boot) fine enough?
The most basic MacBook costs Rs. 63,000 + VAT at least in Kolkata. Most resellers would agree to accommodate the VAT within the retail price itself.

Yes, a normal MacBook runs Windows (even Vista Ultimate) quite well. You'll have to increase the RAM from the standard configuration of 512 MB though.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

hey arya give me some freewares

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

Actually, I hardly use any freeware. I've found that, in general, the paid stuff is almost always better than the free ones. I can suggest you a good website though. Visit MacUpdate. It will fulfill all your Mac OS X software needs. :)

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

hahahha .... i have updated it to 10.4.9

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

So, are you liking it? :)

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

so far its been nice ... how do i maximise my window when i click on the plus sign it just centre aligns safari keeping some space on the left and right :confused:

and what is the folder where itunes library is saved ... i want to try whether if i copy the library of my itunes from windows to mac will it work?

and i can definitely say that mac is he best unix distro available :D

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback

^ MAC is a distro?:confused:

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

mAV3 said:
so far its been nice ... how do i maximise my window when i click on the plus sign it just centre aligns safari keeping some space on the left and right :confused:

and what is the folder where itunes library is saved ... i want to try whether if i copy the library of my itunes from windows to mac will it work? :D

and i can definitely say that mac is he best unix distro available
1. Look, when you are using Mac OS X, you have to let go of certain mindsets that have been ingrained in you from the years of using Windows. One of these things is Apple's different approach to window management. On Windows, the maximise button simply stretches any window to occupy whatever space is available on the screen. This method has an immediate and obvious drawback in terms of multi-tasking. You cannot see whatever is going on in other applications and become focused on just one application.
At present, you will argue that it is the better approach because you are used to Windows. I thought so too. But I was willing to learn new concepts and hopefully, so are you. Today, after months of using Mac OS X, I can very surely say that the Mac approach is better.
What is the Mac approach? The green button on a Mac is not called the maximise button. It is called the zoom button. What it does is it resizes any window to fit the contents within. So, when you open Yahoo! and then hit the zoom button, the scrollbar on the bottom will be eliminated but there won't be any white space left on either side of the page. This allows you to efficiently work with a lot of open applications. Is it clear?

However, it is not the perfect approach. Sometimes, you wish that you could just concentrate on one application and forget about the rest for a while. Mac OS X, by default, offers no way to do this. But there is a freely available plug-in that enables you to make any Cocoa application go fullscreen. It is called Megazoomer. You can download and use it if you wish to. :)

2. Yes, your iTunes library from Windows will indeed work on a Mac. Just copy the iTunes Music folder from your 'Music' folder in Windows and your iTunes Database File (named 'iTunes Library') to the '~/Music/iTunes' folder.
Here's a genius tip you can use: when you press and hold the Option key and then launch iTunes, it will ask you whether you want to use some other library apart from the default one. :D
There are lots of such nifty and cool features you'll learn as you use the OS.

BTW, I think this particular tip must be a new one even to the regulars like goobimama and nepcker.
You are welcome. :D

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

@arya i am open to 'learning the mac way' but its not necessary tht i might like everything ;)

for instance home and end does not work which is actually very frustrating

thanx for itunes helpful ;)

and 1 more thing:
how do i remove something thing from 1 folder and place it in another bole toh something like cut paste ... as of now i am only able to copy paste

@praka ... it was a punn ;) which i hope arya understood :D

Last edited:
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

You need to use the up and down keys. They work almost like 'Home' and 'End' when you are dealing with text (not exactly, but pretty close). :)

The only way is to drag and drop it from one place into the other. You do know about spring loaded folders, don't you? I'll explain it if you don't.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

whats spring loaded folders ... i just need to simply change the location of a file damn mac cant do tht (sorry for the statement but dont take it as a flame)

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

On Windows, you can drag a file and drop it onto a folder to move it to that folder.

On a Mac, you can drag a file over a folder and hit spacebar to open the folder (it will open automatically after a few seconds if you hold the file over it). This way, you can drag and drop from anywhere in the operating system to anywhere else. I know it sounds sort of cumbersome but believe me when I say this, I've never missed the 'Cut' option on Mac OS X. In fact, I never even noticed it wasn't there.

Having said that, I think Apple should really look into fixing the 'Cut' option in the Finder. :)

BTW, you can do almost anything on a Mac while you are dragging something. You can launch new windows and programs, use Exposé to navigate between windows and switch to the desktop, open the dashboard, etc., all while holding something with the mouse. It might take some time getting used to it, but you'll wonder how you ever managed without it once you do.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

well i found expose while tweaking my display and i find it very interesting and usefull but unfortunately i can only copy a track from 1 location to another cant put it in a folder :(

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

mAV3 sent me this in a PM:
mAV3 said:
on a pc ctrl + arrow takes u to home or end where as in windows it does something good skips each word ... no flame but its good in windows
Yes, it is and if it is there on Windows, it is there on a Mac. :D
Here are all the shortcuts related to the directional keys that you can use for editing text:
Fn + Down/Up = Page Down/Up
Fn + Right/Left = Page Down/Up
Ctrl + Right/Left = End/Start of line
Cmd + Right/Left = End/Start of line
Option + Down/Up = Next/Previous paragraph
Option + Right/Left = Next/Previous word
Cmd + Down/Up = End/Start of document
Right/Left = Next/Previous character
Down/Up = Next/Previous line

I think that includes every shortcut imaginable, doesn't it? :D

Top Bottom