The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Re: The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Macs.

There is nothing like cut in Mac

The closest to understanding spring loaded folders is Windows Vista bread crumb address bar. You can go from any folder to any folder

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

mAV3 said:
well i found expose while tweaking my display and i find it very interesting and usefull but unfortunately i can only copy a track from 1 location to another cant put it in a folder :(
What? I didn't understand the problem. Could you be a bit more precise?

gx_saurav said:
There is nothing like cut in Mac

The closest to understanding spring loaded folders is Windows Vista bread crumb address bar. You can go from any folder to any folder
Can you drag a file onto the bread crumb bar to put in in that folder? I haven't tried this.

Last edited:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

well my song is in drive c: folder downloads and i want to move it to drive d: folder songs cant do it coz everyt8ime i drag it it gives me a plus sign i have to do it the long way copy it there and delete it her

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

Oh yeah, when you drag and drop a file between two drives, the operating system will make a copy, not a cut. You'll find this same bahaviour even on Windows. But then, Windows has the Cut option which Mac OS X lacks.

Well, I guess that makes one more reason why the 'Cut' option is absolutely essential for some users. Hope Apple FTFF in Leopard! :mad:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

aryayush said:
Can you drag a file onto the bread crumb bar to put in in that folder? I haven't tried this.

Not by default, but who needs it when we have Cut in PC :D

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

Well, then the bread crumb bar does not share the slightest shred of similarity with spring loaded folders. Spring loaded folders are not supposed to aid navigation, but enhance the support for drag and drop maneuvers.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

Well, thats how we do thing in Windows :D

Select a file -> Ctrl + X -> Using the Bread crumb bar jump to the folder where you want to go, -> Ctrl + V

This just in...

Mav3 & me, & it is quite hard to take a screenshot in Mac so far.

*img383.imageshack.us/img383/862/screenshotml0.th.jpg

Last edited:
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

Command + Shift + 3 = Full screen
Command + Shift + 4 = Selection
Command + Shift + 4 <pause> Space = Any window (this is the one you should have used, instead of minimising everything to the dock)

That is hard! :eek:

BTW, PNG has not been developed by Microsoft. It is an open format.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

This is another thing I never liked in Mac & I m sure any sane person won't.

Weird & long key combinations :mad:

Sometimes you need to press 4 keys to do a simple task. Hey arya, Print Screen key is not working, isn't it command+shift+3 for print screen in Mac?

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

It certainly is hundred times better than pressing print screen and then pasting it in an image editing program and saving it.

Yes, the shortcut is that. I posted it just now.

BTW, if you don't like the default shortcuts, you can very easily change them in the Keyboard & Mouse preference pane. The screenshot shortcuts are the first items on the list. You can even add new shortcuts for system wide tasks and even specific applications.

So quite with the complaining and use the system a bit before declaring that something is not right. There is hardly anything that Windows can do and Mac OS X cannot. (Don't start enumerating now and don't start a debate, please! Let these thread be about Mac OS X only.)

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

well if the combinations dont work it is diifcult to take screen shots ;)

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

Why wouldn't they work?

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

well i click the combo and the image is not shown on the desktop
nest if i use grab the image is taken saved to a folder and not shown there only when i search for it thru finder the image suddenly pops up in the folder
also u were saying about paint .... in grab i cannot choose the format i want its only .tiff i can do itby renaming the file but not thru grab

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

Well, I can't think of any reason why that would happen. It works absolutely fine on my Mac.

Try repairing the permissions for your hard disk. You'll find the option in Disk Utility.

And Grab is just a basic way to take screenshots as you wish to. That's all. It just saves the images in a lossless, uncompressed format. If you want advanced options, you'll need a more sophisticated screenshot utility.

I never even use Grab though. The system wide shortcuts do the job for me and PNG is my favoured format anyway. :)

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

ya the advanced application is snip tool in vista :D

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !

iMav said:
well i click the combo and the image is not shown on the desktop
nest if i use grab the image is taken saved to a folder and not shown there only when i search for it thru finder the image suddenly pops up in the folder
also u were saying about paint .... in grab i cannot choose the format i want its only .tiff i can do itby renaming the file but not thru grab
same was happening with me , doing a simple reboot will show the files on the desktop , also u can kill n restart finder hthrough console , that too solves the prob :)

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

If you like to use the console, then it's another thing - but you can force quit the Finder from the Activity Monitor utility too. :)

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

how do i hide file extensions ... .jar and others are visible

and this is why mac's not good ... i dragged my applications folder from finder to the dock ... and guess wht its deleted ... how do i bring it back .......

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

iMav

Is it still in the dock? I guess u changed the location of your application folder from the usual place to dock. Drag it back to where it was, now don't ask me where it usually is cos I don't know. arya help him plz.

To get a deleted thing back, look into trash in dock. open it & drag & drop to where u need it. If it not there then sorry, upgrade to MacOS X leopard cos it has Time machine, macs do not have a backup/system restore application as of yet.

Arya, tell me a proper Music player for Mac other then iTunes. If nothing else works I will just insall Winamp in cross over & use it

Last edited:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

its not in the dock it got deleted when brought it out of finder and released my mouse

its not in the trash can also :x

Top Bottom