The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Presentation Skills 101

I just came across some photos by Niall Kennedy, taken at the introduction of Microsoft’s latest money-making monstrosity, Microsoft Live. Just what I want, ads in my word processor. I don’t want to waste any more breath commenting on the product; it’s the presentation that interests me. Or appalls me, to be more accurate.

How can the most successful technology company in history, run by the richest man in the universe, stand in front of the world with such incredibly lame slides in their presentation? They look like something put together by a high school kid who just discovered clip art and shaded backgrounds.

Is it just me? You be the judge
Here’s one of Bill’s slides…

*www.writersblocklive.com/images/ms_slide1.jpg

and another…

*www.writersblocklive.com/images/ms_slide3.jpg

Makes me want to scream! Geez…the two headings aren’t even lined up vertically!

*www.writersblocklive.com/images/ms_slide2.jpg

And what the hell are those four double-headed-arrow things?

For contrast, here’s one of Steve’s slides from a few years back (his current images are even better, but couldn’t find any good shots of those)

*www.writersblocklive.com/images/digital_hub.jpg

Here’s a link to all of Niall’s photos. Be warned, they are not for the faint of heart (or anyone with any aesthetic sense.)

[Via Writers Block Live]

LOL! This is some related reading:

Holy. Crap. If there is any reason to avoid software designed by this group of people, it’s likely this slide:

*static.flickr.com/26/58696954_3fff4a397e.jpg
Photo by Niall Kennedy​

Now, I’m really not trying to slag the fine folks at Fisher Price Toys, but man, this presentation (and WinXP, and other MS stuff) simply has to have been born at the toy company, rather than the largest/most mature software company on the planet.

I mean - can they fit any more information into the slide? Perhaps, if they use more colours, or fonts, or sizes of fonts. Compare that to a Stevenote, with the simple yet powerful elegance. This is the difference between the Windows Media Center Edition remote, and the Front Row remote - 800 buttons vs 6.

I’d like to assume that for a Big Keynote Presentation, that a company would pull out all stops and design the best presentation they possibly could. If that assumption holds, then MS can’t do any better than that. That’s scary.

Mike Evangelist at Writer’s Block Live tells it better - and he should know, since he was involved with Apple product marketing and Stevenotes.

Compare with a sample Stevenote slide:
*static.flickr.com/33/52140270_f1c6f11a57_o.jpg
Photo by olebra
[Via D'Arcy Norman dot net]

They sure know how to using PowerPoint! :lol:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Re: The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Macs.

Steve Notes : 3 or 4 Pics bashing Windows

Bill Notes : Interopratibility on how things work.

You need to learn what it is saying boy.

About Windows Live : Hell yeah it rox, ask anyone using it how integrated it is with Windows Vista.

Arya, if your today's quota of Marketing Mac in this forum is over, mind replying to my reply regarding your sig, the eye openers too.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

anything non-sense ur posting these days arya

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

iMav said:
anything non-sense ur posting these days arya
He is posting nonsence,....i mean ads from day 1:D

Hey arya, those 4 arrows show how things are releated to each other. And OMG......Steve Notes has less colours, while Powerpoint slides have more colours, the world is gonna end.

(in other words you have nothing valid to post)

Yaar iMav I wonder, if we windows users start marketing Windows like this, then the whole Linux & Mac awareness will doom in 7 days only :D

to bad, we got real work to do.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

gx_saurav said:
And OMG......Steve Notes has less colours, while Powerpoint slides have more colours, the world is gonna end.
I'm sorry but you do not belong to the category of "anyone with any aesthetic sense" so it would be wiser for you to just shut up.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

any thing tht has steve jobs with it is aesthetic ... and anythign tht has billy g by it is not aesthetic ... :?

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

Thats the Mac way (of thinking). :) according to arya.

We should sympathize arya, he is forced to use MacOS X the way El Jobso wants him to :D. Means a gray UI with no customisation possible.

Arya: If jobs says it is asthetic, then hell yeah it is asthetic

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

You guys can honestly defend a slide as horribly ugly as this one!

*www.writersblocklive.com/images/ms_slide3.jpg

WOW! No wonder you guys like Windows.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

We are not defending anything with the slides. It isn't Bill Gates who made that slide, though u r trying to say like he made the slide himself.

Colours are over used, yes. But comon.....you call that a reason to hate Windows :?

Suppose .net is used to make a virus for Mac, will you call Windows sux then?

(sorry, i know you will say that, u got nothing else to do)

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

we do not defend anything unlike members on this forum who go all out even after beng pwnd trying to prove what they own is the best

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

gx_saurav said:
We are not defending anything with the slides. It isn't Bill Gates who made that slide, though u r trying to say like he made the slide himself.

Colours are over used, yes. But comon.....you call that a reason to hate Windows :?

Suppose .net is used to make a virus for Mac, will you call Windows sux then?

(sorry, i know you will say that, u got nothing else to do)
First of all, I am not the author of that article.

Second, I know you do not understand literary concepts such as sarcasm, exaggeration and figures of speech, but suffice it to say that the author did not once claim that those slides were reason enough not to use Windows.

Third, yes, Billy G did not make those slides but I am sure he was allowed to see them before the actual presentation. How he could have presented himself on stage with that abomination is beyond me!

It is not about Windows, it is about a company that has absolutely no taste whatsoever. Bill Gates pretty much accepted that flat out in the D5 conference.

Anyway, I did not post those articles to indulge with you guys. It is for Mac users to read and hopefully, chuckle at. Like I've been saying time and time again, this thread is not for people like you and you are not welcome here. If you insist on doing so however, there is very little I can do about it.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

vista's looks well if i remmbr correctly u urself have more often than once said tht vista has a good looks .... though u said good looks didnt make a good os ... but u considered vista's looks to be good ... and they are ... even wen xp was released its looks were mind blowing then and vista is no different now ... so stop embarrassing urself in every thread ...

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Cosmic coincidence

WOW, this is a strange coincidence. There are three ways to spoil a Mac - Boot Camp, Parallels Desktop and VMWare Fusion and the new versions of all three programs were released today.

Boot Camp has some improvements and changes to the installer. It now includes drivers for the ambient light sensor and keyboard backlighting when using it on Windows. Grab it here.

Parallels' new release has some major new features, the most prominent one being support for OpenGL and DirectX 9 (DirectX 10 support is coming soon) which allows the user to run games on the virtual machine. There are other improvements as well and it now includes Parallels Tools for Linux also.

VMWare has released another beta of its VM application called Fusion. The big ticket feature in this release is Unity, a feature similar to Coherence in Parallels, only much more refined (for example, Windows applications have a drop shadow and individual identities when using Exposé and they minimise to the dock). Fusion already supports 3D graphics. It is free at least while it is in beta stage. You can download a copy here.

OK, now I have closed my eyes, go download it before someone sees you doing so. :D

JUNE 7, 2007, 12:46 PM
Breaking Down the Walls Between Mac OS X and Windows

I’m a bi-platform kinda guy. Not just because I need to be conversant in both Mac OS X and Windows for my job, but also because my life revolves around certain Mac programs and certain Windows programs.

On trips, I literally used to pack two laptops: a Mac for creative stuff, and a Windows machine for the speech-recognition program I use to write books, Dragon NaturallySpeaking.

Read more...

Last edited:

nepcker

Proud Mac Pro Owner

For having such shitty slides?

Last edited:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

he didnt make those slides ... man u seriously are 10 yrs old :)

nepcker

Proud Mac Pro Owner

Okay, he didn't.

But even I would have refused to present such slides in front of public. I make much better slides in Keynote.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

"U want to debate with people on the Internet, but u worry that ur not smart enough." "Maybe u'll just read what the smart people are saying..." "Okay, ur in every freaking thread displaying ur naivety ."

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

WWDC was a total disappointment. :(

Where are your "top secret" features, Steve? A new Finder and Dock - that's it! :mad:

And why-oh-why did you have to go ahead and port Safari to Windows! :shock:

nepcker

Proud Mac Pro Owner

As long as there is performance boost, I'll be buying Leopard. I wanted the updated versions of Finder and Dock, and yes, they are updated.

At least for me, all the big features don't matter.

(I hope they added a 'Cut' option to the Finder. :D)

Apple shouldn't have ported Safari to Windows, though.

Top Bottom