The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Re: The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Macs.

@nepcker

In another thread, you posted some games for Mac OS X.
nepcker said:
And oh, here are some more great games you can play on Mac OS X:
Heroes of Might and Magic V
Myst Online: Uru Live
Star Wars: Empire at War
X3: Reunion
Imperial Glory
Are they Universal?

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Address Book Tips

Address Book Tips
May 28, 2007

The Mac OS X Address Book is a neat little application that is often under-appreciated. As a seemingly boring application it has loads of features that are overlooked by most users. While useful on its own for organising your contacts, Address Book's real power is that it works with so many other applications. Here are a few tips to save you time and let you make the most of Address Book.

Add Contacts to your Safari Bookmarks
*www.macosxtips.co.uk/index_files/280507-safari-address-book-bookmarks.png​
If lots of your contacts have their own web sites, you might be interested to know that you can automatically add these to your Safari bookmarks bar. Open up Safari go to the Preferences (in the Safari Menu). In here click the Bookmarks tab and check the box that says "Include Address Book" in the Bookmarks Bar. Now a new folder will appear at the far left of your Bookmarks bar. In here will be the web sites of all you contacts who have a home page set in their Address Book entry.

Read more...

It so completely kicks the ass of Windows Contacts or whatever, it is not even funny.

To the Mac users here, if you do not use Address Book yet - do. Specially if you have a Bluetooth capable phone. It is an absolutely fantastic application. :D

nepcker

Proud Mac Pro Owner

aryayush said:
Are they Universal?
No, except for Imperial Glory, all of the games are native to Intel Macs.

There are actually much more good games for Mac OS X, a few of them being Mac exclusives. I only posted some of them I could remember. You think I should start a thread in the Gaming section giving a list of great games for Mac OS X? Or has such a thread already existed?

I've met a few persons who think that there is absolutely no games at all for Mac OS X. Maybe that thread could be an eye-opener for some.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

No, it won't. I am surprised you haven't realised this yet but these people you are talking about have their heads up their you-know-what and they are incapable of thinking straight. So I would advise you not to waste your time.

And anyway, no matter what you say, it is a fact that Mac OS X is nowhere close to Windows when it comes to games. Let us just accept this fact and hope and pray Apple does something to improve the situation. It really doesn't bother me much that an otherwise almost perfect operating system has a major flaw (mostly because I don't game myself). Hope Apple fixes it; even if they don't, I'm pretty satisfied as is. :)

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

aryayush said:
No, it won't. I am surprised you haven't realised this yet but these people you are talking about have their heads up their you-know-what and they are incapable of thinking straight. So I would advise you not to waste your time.
i told u to keep ur vishesh tipni to urself ... besides i think i posted in this thread long back that mfs carbon and mw both can run on a mac

nepcker

Proud Mac Pro Owner

Gaming is one thing I hate about Apple. (Mind you, not macs.) Macs are perfectly capable of gaming.

But what's lacking, though, is Apple's willingness of having more games for Mac OS X. Mac OS X has very less market share, yet there are several applications for it as Apple has a great development team.

I'm sure that it Apple will spend some time and money on this, they'll be able to get at least double the amount of games Mac OS X has today.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

Of course, that is what makes me angry too. Bunch of lunatics!

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

gaming is not so easily possible on a mac coz its unix based ... the same reason why gaming is a pain in the you-know-what in linux ;)

praka123

left this forum longback

*happypenguin.org/about/

^^ try this site as with Linux gaming.UNIX is much capable for gaming.may be the market share which made game companies thinking the reverse:rolleyes:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Re: Address Book Tips

aryayush said:
It so completely kicks the ass of Windows Contacts or whatever, it is not even funny.
Ever tried researching something & writing on your own?

Ever tried working or researching why Windows Contact is also a good way?

There are 2 ways in real life to keep addresses. An Address book or diary & 2nd is Contact Cards. Both are good, both are bad.

Apple uses the Address book way, while Vista uses the contact card way. And about Windows Contacts not integrating with many apps, lolz....you got vista installed right? Make a new contact in it & see it getting automatically integrate in Windows Mail, Windows Calender & IE 7.

nepcker

Proud Mac Pro Owner

A good link for the Mac OS X users:
*godlikenerd.com/osxforumfaq/

It contains an extensive list of FAQs.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

I'm having a hard time trying to find a question I do not know the answer to. Seriously. :D

Parallels 3.0 RC announced

PARALLELS DESKTOP 3.0 FOR MAC DELIVERS:

Completely Seamless User Experience:
  • Cross OS application & file integration with Parallels SmartSelect
  • Offline access to virtual machine files with Paralles Explorer
  • Coherence 2.0, including shared folders and UI enhancements
  • Linux Tools for seamless integration betwen Mac OS X and Linux

Native Hardware Experience
  • 3D graphics support to play the hottest games and run the most popular applications
  • Expanded support for USB 2.0 devices
  • USB connection assistant quickly connects you to your OS of choice
  • Significantly enhancements performance and audio quality

Protection against Mishaps
  • Hit a problem? Quickly and easily go back in time to a clean VM state
  • Bulletproof your VMs with SnapShots
  • Control the levels of integration and isolation with Security Manager
  • Make your virtual machine read-only
  • Get virus and spyware protection with a FREE 6-month Kaspersky subscription trial

SmartSelect

*newweb.parallels.com/files/img/site_last/wwwupgrade/SmartSelect02-windows_thumb.png
  • Cross OS File & App Integration
  • Assign files to any application
  • Set 'on the fly' or as a default

Snapshots

*newweb.parallels.com/files/img/site_last/wwwupgrade/Snapshot%20Manager_thumb.png
  • Bulletproof your VM
  • Store the VM state and custom intervals
  • Rollback when needed

3D Graphics

*newweb.parallels.com/files/img/site_last/wwwupgrade/3d%20graphics-quake4b_thumb.png
  • OpenGL and DirectX support
  • Support for graphics hardware
  • Vista Aero coming soon

WOWOW! One of the reasons to get a Mac - Parallels Desktop. This is so incredibly cool. Not only does Mac OS X beat the crap out of Windows Vista, we can also run it in case we need to for some specific purpose, like gaming, right on top of Mac OS X and that too without suffering through the Windows interface. This is as cool as it gets.

Hope they release this version soon with support for 3D acceleration. I am curious to see how well games would perform on the virtual machine. :D

Last edited:

nepcker

Proud Mac Pro Owner

aryayush said:
I'm having a hard time trying to find a question I do not know the answer to. Seriously.:D
I noticed that. You're desperately trying to come up with questions so that you can ask kere.:D Why else would you ask the question "Are they Universal?" when you don't even have a PowerPC-based Mac?

Mac OS X Hints: Increase CD ripping speed

Kirk McElhearn discovers a way to rip CDs faster on his Mac and looks into how to rip two CDs at the same time using multiple optical drives. [more]

Last edited:

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !

nepcker said:
Kirk McElhearn discovers a way to rip CDs faster on his Mac and looks into how to rip two CDs at the same time using multiple optical drives.
i've been doing that in WMP since years :D

nepcker

Proud Mac Pro Owner

Multimedia Immersion Students Learn Audio, Video, Start Shooting Stories
Workshop on Soundtrack Pro, Final Cut Pro, and Aperture, all Mac-only softwares.

PORTLAND, OR (May 31, 2007) – NPPA's Multimedia Immersion bootcamp got off to a fast start Thursday on the second day of the four-day seminar when students learned how to do audio and how to shoot and edit video. After the all-morning session broke at noon, the students grabbed their gear and hit the streets to start shooting video and gathering audio for their first class stories.

*www.nppa.org/news_and_events/news/2007/05/images/beah_ahbeck_audio_000.jpg

Read more...

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

Parallels supporting Windows Games in Mac OS X.

"It's like giving a glass of ice water to somebody in hell"

:D:D:D

I wonder if it can emulate DirectX 9/10? MacOS X has no DirectX, means DirectX calls to the graphics card is converted to OpenGL calls on the fly & then shown on screen. To run native DirectX using virtualised Windows, parallels needs GPU virtualisation which so far isn't possible.

I wonder how the performance & RAM requirment in such cases will be. It is already known that Apple charges a lot for RAM, so keeping this in mind you will requires 2 GB RAM atleast to play games in VM.

So, to run Windows games you need

1) An expensive Mac

2) Parallels For Mac = $79

3) if it is DirectX 10 based games, then no they cannot be emulated like this. For directX 9 games of old generation you need atleast Windows XP SP2 Home edition = $199.

4) Not all games are supported, just a few which will be updated as the catalog improves. So, just don't expect any game to play if it is not supported. Boot camp is still better.

Hey, if you have to natively boot into Windows to play a game, why do u need a Mac?

Wow, it sounds so cheap & value for money.

Oh I forgot, Mac isn't value for money.

Last edited:
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

I can so sense the complete and utter jealousy exuding from this guy. LOL! :lol:

Now that we can run games without having the need to shut down Mac OS X and suffer the Windows inter-crap-face, there is absolutely no reason not to buy a Mac if you can shell out the money for it.

As for the stupid argument that only few games are supported, that is wrong. Games like Call of Duty, Duke Nukem, Half-Life, Hitman, Quake, Serious Sam, Unreal Tournament, etc. already work on it (I'm talking about the latest versions) so I have no reason to believe some of them won't work. Even if some don't (we'll come to know eventually), most will.

gx_saurav said:
It is already known that Apple charges a lot for RAM, so keeping this in mind you will requires 2 GB RAM atleast to play games in VM.
If you insist on buying RAM from Apple, it is your choice. I am perfectly content sticking in an extra RAM module from Transcend into my Mac.

With Cider from TransGaming already bringing games like Heroes to the Mac platform and Parallels taking care of the rest, I guess we can put the old saw to rest that Macs suck at gaming. They don't anymore.

Absolute pwnage! I guess you are quite used to it by now, aren't you, gx_saurav? :lol:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

Parallels supporting Windows Games in Mac OS X.

"It's like giving a glass of ice water to somebody in hell"

aryayush said:
Now that we can run games without having the need to shut down Mac OS X and suffer the Windows inter-crap-face, there is absolutely no reason not to buy a Mac if you can shell out the money for it.
Yup, if you can shell out Rs 1.5 lakh for a laptop then sure, go ahead.

Hey, isn't it that we can make a Solid Gaming PC under 60k, wow...how did this happened.

As for the stupid argument that only few games are supported,
Hey, I am not saying it, Parallels is saying this.

Games like Call of Duty, Duke Nukem, Half-Life, Hitman, Quake, Serious Sam, Unreal Tournament, etc. already work on it
Yup, when did I said they won't I said DirectX won't run properly & with good speed in parallels cos DirectX 9/10 cannot be emulated. The DirectX calls needs to be converted to OpenGL calls on the fly to do this, now don't say to me or any developer out here that emulation is as fast as the real thing is :D

Oh & just another eye opener

CoD = Doom 3 Engine = OpenGL
Half life 2 = Direct X & OpenGL back ported engine, & anyone who played Half life 2 here can tell you how good the performance/Quality was in OpenGL mode
Duke Nukam = You still play this?
Hitman = OpenGL backported engine. Hardly any emulation required. The calls are already OpenGL based.
Quake = ID software = OpenGL. Hardly any emulation required.
Unreal Tournament = Compatibility based OpenGL engine for Nvidia GeForice FX cards, UT 2004 was made in DirectX 8.1/OpenGL 1.4 (research boy, research)

With Cider from TransGaming already bringing games like Heroes to the Mac platform and Parallels taking care of the rest, I guess we can put the old saw to rest that Macs suck at gaming. They don't anymore.
Yup they do, they still require you to buy Windows to play games whether natively or Virtualised, & you cannot virtualize Windows Vista Home basic or Home premium. Well, illegally you can ofcourse.

i guess you again overlooked the fact that Parallels doesn't supports Vista Aero, which means it cannot support DirectX 9, as Aero cannot be converted to OpenGL calls. Means games are limited to OpeNGL & DirectX 8.1. (UT 2004, hitman).

Hey, so Mac don't support games out of the box. What is not there be default is not a feature.

Fellow forum members, let me know if I am wrong here.

Absolute pwnage! I guess you are quite used to it by now, aren't you, gx_saurav? :lol:
Arya: Absolute Ignorence, you must be used to it by now. About pwnage, well....does this forum gives me a job or something ?

(Sorry didn't wanted to hurt your ego & chance of getting a job in Mac Store)

Last edited:

nepcker

Proud Mac Pro Owner

Mac's Value for money:
Macs have great value for money. Even very old macs (as old as 10 years old, I guess) perfectly run Mac OS X Tiger and they will most probably run Leopard.

That's a great value for money.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

even vista runs fine on P3 1 GHz with 512 MB RAM
running an OS & running at a usable speed r 2 different things.

Seriously, I want to see myself. Try running MacOS X Tiger on a 10 years old Mac with PowerPC G3 CPU, 64 MB RAM & 8 MB ATI Rage graphics card, or better yet 16 MB nVidia RIVA TNT2 M64 Graphics Card, those first iMacs with coloured back. Then come here & tell how us even if it is "usable" to run it.

No seriously, I urge you to do this which will again be an eye opener for your "Mac are VFM" statement. They are not :D

Last edited:
Top Bottom