The official iPhone thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

goobimama

 Macboy
How do you know what is the worth of their work? They did put in a lot of effort into it... you can't put a price on that (well, maybe $500)...

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
arre sab lootte hain kaunsi nayee baat hai ... chodo aam khao gutli ka daam kahe dekhte ho

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
every one is a thug .... its nothing new .... why are u bothered about the cost of the mango enjoy it ... its a proverb in hindi which implies that dont bother about the price enjoy the bloody thing ;)

goobimama

 Macboy
aaah... good one. this one goes for gx then.

Cause I get like at least a thousand free mangoes every year. Never pay for mangoes...and these are not those crappy ones you get in the market...

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Software market is not hardware.

The cost of software remains the same from day 1 of release. However the cost of hardware comes down with time as development costs & production costs decrease. Just have a look at the price at which Zune or Intel C2D was available at launch & the cost for which it comes today.

Apple product on the other hand always over charge. Goobi, the real hardware cost is $220 per unit. Suppose I add another $220 to it which includes all research & development cost for this one unit, & assembling costs, royalty, licensing fees etc. That still results in $440 only.

Suppose I add a profit of $50 here (profit already there in $440), this still is $490, Apple is still overcharging $110 & they will charge the same for the next 5 years as iPhone is At&T exclusive for 5 years.

aam ka naam mat lo, malihabad bagal main hi hai :D, I got 4 boxes of Mango at my home dacaying. I can't eat Mango juice in morning, mango pickle in evening, mango in afternoon & mango butter masala (imagination) in dinner.

rockthegod

Dark Overlord !!!
Well, one thing common about all the iphone reviews out there... though as a phone it is much worse than any other out there, all the reviewers feels nearly the same about it..... a personal quote of Anand Lal Shimpi....:)

But the end result is quite good. The iPhone isn't perfect, I can tell you that now (for more reasons than only supporting Edge), but it's a huge step in the right direction. At the same time it's a great product today and while not for everyone, its impact on the industry will be tremendous.

Read More here for an excellent persoanl review:
*www.anandtech.com/gadgets/showdoc.aspx?i=3027

din

Tribal Boy
gx_saurav said:
This just in....iPhone takes only $220 to manufacture the 8 GB Model.
Do we need any more proof that Apple extorts money from its customers:D

Hmm. All are in business for profit. MS, Apple and all.Do you think Digit mag cost Rs 125 or Rs 100 ?

If business people start selling things at the same rate as they manufacture, then whats their profit ?

Every product, may be hardware or software or anything, is sold for a profit, so I do not think there is any point comparing the manufacturing cost and selling cost.

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Every business is for profit, keeping this thing in mind just have a look at iPhone per unit.

Per unit for 8 GB model takes $220 to manufacture. I added 100% cost to it for the R&D costs, & everything else like licensing & royalty. Still it comes to be $440. This 100% cost included profit (the usual method of setting price of a product). Still Apple is charging more then what they should.

I even added $50 (which is a lot of money when it comes to profit margin per unit for an electronic device), still they are charging $110 more. Is this justified & ok?

din

Tribal Boy
gx_saurav said:
I even added $50 (which is a lot of money when it comes to profit margin per unit for an electronic device), still they are charging $110 more. Is this justified & ok?

1. Not OK - Ethical point of view

2. 100% ok (may be 120% ok lol) at business point of view

It is business, so point 2 goes in !

Long back, I talked to one of my friends who was workin in Coca-Cola. Some one at management level. He was telling me the cost of one bottle of coco-cola is less than Rs 1 !!

Now at what price they sell it ? Rs 8 ? or 10 ? How much % they get from the customer ?

This is same for all companies. When you start a company, you will also do the same, if its me, then I will do the same (unless it is a non-profit organization or something of that sort lol)

gx_saurav said:
The cost of software remains the same from day 1 of release.

Hmm, I am not that sure. Win XP price is same now as it was on the day 1 of release ?

Offtopic : Reliance charge Rs 1500 per month for unlimited internet through their data card. BSNL charge max (including rental) Rs.400 - for the same service. So its like 1/3 rd !! We can't justify Reliance but Anil Ambani will very easily justify it lol :)

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
I hope your example of Reliance and BSNL tells you that Reliance charges more then BSNL for same thing. Yes they are trying to make profit, but for this they are overcharging customers, is that right?

I am not trying to say, what I might do, or might not do. It is about whether Apple always overcharging for there products justified?

din

Tribal Boy
gx_saurav said:
I am not trying to say, what I might do, or might not do. It is about whether Apple always overcharging for there products justified?

Oh no, I think this time I diverted the thread lol. Sorry !

Regarding the price, at a cusomer point of view, no we can't justify it.

But this is the same thing all companies do, no exceptions. Microsoft, Apple all these big companies does that. All overcharge their customers and Apple is also doing the same. Can't say Apple is the only company that overcharge its customers.

Regarding BSNL, evenif we blame them for everything, their rates are good. Coz they are not private company. But the main thing for Reliance is - profit . Simple !

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Thank you for understanding what I was trying to say.

Have a look at the profile & business methods of other phone companies in the same business as iPhone such as Nokia or SE. There is R&D, Royalty fees, licensing fees etc which even other companies pay but still despite of having more features then iPhone, the costs overall is lower then iPhone. The cost further reduces as time passes by. N95 when released in Lucknow was available for 35k, now it is for 30k.

Same way, Sansa E250 can now be bought for 4k.

However, despite of increased production & lower cost of manufacture iPod costs the same. The cost of Flash HD is lower then what it was 2 years ago, but still iPod Nano costs the same. Isn't this another example of Apple overcharging for there products? Shouldn't Apple reduce the costs over time.

The other one
din said:
Long back, I talked to one of my friends who was workin in Coca-Cola. Some one at management level. He was telling me the cost of one bottle of coco-cola is less than Rs 1 !!

Now at what price they sell it ? Rs 8 ? or 10 ? How much % they get from the customer ?

That's why I didn't do MBA :D . It feels bad to loot people with business cheats.

Also I didn't do MBBS. Because i don't belong to any reserved catagory and at the same time i am not extraordinaryly brilliant to make my place in the few remaining seats.

Similarly , I never thought joining politics as i don't have any politically strong precursor in my family to save me from years of 'chamchagiri' before i reach any respectable post.

And for similar reasons , I never tried to be a movie hero as my dad never did a leading role in any bollywood flick. All current gen Bollywood stars are sons/daughters of movie stars. Hritik, Abhishek, fardeen, sanjay dutt, Sunny, bobby, etc etc etc .

Also, i never tried to become xyz....... Are you still reading !!!! :D

din

Tribal Boy
@Avatar

LOL, eventhough it was offtopic, it was funny

Anyway, be 'something' if not XYZ

Or finally your parents will feel bad and will throw you out of home lol

The other one
gx_saurav said:
@ avatar

Abe tu hai kya phir :D

I am 'The One' .
Or maybe ' The Other One' :D

Ok i am tarey_g :D , just having fun with new ID (I like Avatar the animated series :)) ) which i made after my exams completed.

You,arya and even prakash no one has changed. Except andy, congrats for LSE. And what mav3 has become? gx!!!! :D .

everyone is enjoying (fighting) like before . Good times. Just don't hate each other because iphone is crap or Vista is way too overpriced and has Halo 2 crap game. No point in hating each other while Billy and El jobso are filling their bank accounts :D .

din said:
@Avatar

LOL, eventhough it was offtopic, it was funny

Anyway, be 'something' if not XYZ

Or finally your parents will feel bad and will throw you out of home lol

I am doing something (MCA) :D .
And ....... my ......... parents ......... love to kick me out. :D .

Last edited:

din

Tribal Boy
LOL, No man, I always like such conversation. But I prefer to stay away from personal attacks and fights.

Meantime, any Digit members seen the iPhone in real yet ?

Nemi, any chance of a review from you ? If you ever read these threads ......

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
oye tarey_g ki haal hain for some time reading ur posts i thought u were an older member but the post count and date confused me but my hunch was right

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom