The next Unreal Tournament to be released free.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
How awesome it that?

Source : *www.pcgamer.com/2014/05/08/new-unr...l-be-free-developed-by-epic-and-ut-community/

Since it will in part be created by a community of volunteers, the game will be free when it comes out. Epic stressed the point that it will be just free, not free-to-play. However, it also said that eventually it will create a marketplace where developers, modders, artists, and players can buy and sell mods and content, or just give it away for free. Earnings from this marketplace will be split between the content creator and Epic, which is how it plans to pay for the game.

Mods and user-created maps in previous Unreal Tournaments were a huge part of their appeal, and allowing these modders a way to profit from their creations sounds like a good idea. It also sounds like it could annoy a huge number of people along the way, and Epic’s aware of that.

"This is new for us,” Lead Level Designer David Spalinski said during Epic’s Twitch broadcast today. “We expect there will be speedbumps. But we're going to do the best we can to include everybody."

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
Well it didn't go well for the iconic plants vs zombies. Hope they don't push in game purchases or purchases necessary to progress in the game

The mod selling idea is amazing, some of the modders out there are really amazing

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
time to clean the dust off my rocket launcher and oil that flak cannon.

How it actually works:

-Epic has a core team of veteran UT devs and modders employed who will work on the title
-The game builds that they put together are going to be available for the community (for further development, testing or playing)
-The members of that core team at epic will be in constant communication with the community (forums etc.)
-The community will offer opinions, designs, assets, ideas, etc.
-The team at epic will decide what goes into their version, they may include ideas or even assets from the community if given the permission (and they probably will include this stuff since that's the idea of the project)
-The game will be extremely moddable (for obvious reasons) so even the ideas that Epic doesn't incorporate in the main version are going to be modded in for the people who want that
-In the future Epic will offer a marketplace for community members to give away or sell their own maps, models, skins, weapons, modes etc.
-Money from that marketplace will go to both Epic and the community team making the sold item (this is how the game makes some money, though remember that the actual development team is quite small)
-All the content Epic themselves create is going to be completely free.

courtesy OC.net

Last edited:

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Its only fair that a UT game come out with the new engine.. UT always marked the beginning of a new era, 8th generation gaming would not start until UT has come out

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
The ID Tech 3 Engine was good, but the Unreal Engine had better effects IMHO. Both had good support for games based on them.

gagan_kumar

Wise Old Owl
How awesome it that?

Source : *www.pcgamer.com/2014/05/08/new-unr...l-be-free-developed-by-epic-and-ut-community/

i knew it someone will post it sooner or later............

srsly waiting to see unreal engine 4 at action i bet i will have more fun play this then BF4 and TITANFALL...........

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
Epic: We'll Define The Core of Unreal Tournament 4

*www.tomshardware.com/news/unreal-tournament-epic-games-development,26807.html

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
First Look :D

Time to get nostalgic

Epic shares first UE4 Unreal Tournament gameplay footage - Software - News - HEXUS.net

gagan_kumar

Wise Old Owl
First Look :D

Time to get nostalgic

Epic shares first UE4 Unreal Tournament gameplay footage - Software - News - HEXUS.net
its looking amazing can't wait for it......... any info about the plot of SP will it resume unreal tournament 3 or new plot i hope they bring back all the classic game modes including domination........

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
UT3's plot was **** and I don't expect this one to carry any decent plot either.

The original UT got the plot right. A gladiatorial tournament in which humans and alien races battle for a chance to fight Xan. You don't need a plot any deeper than this for such a game.

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
^^ Exactly

Just keep the "unreality" genuine. Game modes like deathmatch, Team DM, CTF, domination one can say were largely inspired by these games. need good maps

Facing Worlds, Fractal, Peak, Liandri, Deck 16, who can forget those maps and the glory therein.

Keep bosses, like Xan Kreigor in hyper-blast. The sense of awe is a must in UT, thus players will push the limits of double tapping. I dont remember any other game which made use of flack cannon and rocket launcher that beautiful

Last edited:
OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Best thing about UT was the use of alternate fire on all weapons, which can be combined in certain circumstances, such as the alternate fire of the Shock Rifle can be used with the primary fire to create a huge Shock explosion.

gagan_kumar

Wise Old Owl
^^ Exactly

Just keep the "unreality" genuine. Game modes like deathmatch, Team DM, CTF, domination one can say were largely inspired by these games. need good maps

Facing Worlds, Fractal, Peak, Liandri, Deck 16, who can forget those maps and the glory therein.

Keep bosses, like Xan Kreigor in hyper-blast. The sense of awe is a must in UT, thus players will push the limits of double tapping. I dont remember any other game which made use of flack cannon and rocket launcher that beautiful
am a hardcore fan of facing world's map when i first played tat map i was like wtf the whole earth...............

- - - Updated - - -

Best thing about UT was the use of alternate fire on all weapons, which can be combined in certain circumstances, such as the alternate fire of the Shock Rifle can be used with the primary fire to create a huge Shock explosion.

too imba that combo almost equivalent to 6 barrel rocket launcher queue.........

Top Bottom