The Nehru-Gandhi clan : Yes, or No?

Throne or thorns?

• We have had enough of them already. They should be avoided like plague.

Votes: 40 93.0%
  • Only Soniyaji and Rahulji can save save this country. Add Laloo to the list too.

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • What is a "Gandhi"? Ok, I'm an ignorant stupid.

Votes: 1 2.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yamaraj

The Lord of Death
Source: - *timesofindia.indiatimes.com/India/Netizens_debate_Rahuls_Gandhi_claim/articleshow/1914469.cms

Some call it “political immaturity”. Others “arrogance”. And every once in a while, a reader suggests that in free India, speech is free.

Congress leader Rahul Gandhi’s comments on Saturday may have been designed to decide the minds of local voters in a UP township, but reactions are pouring in thick and fast from all over. And not least of all, on the World Wide Web, with Netizens writing in furiously.

Gandhi claimed that his family was responsible for the break-up of Pakistan in 1971, touching off a diplomatic row with Pakistan which seized upon the remark to call it a confirmation of its charge that India interfered in its affairs. In the same speech, Rahul also seemed to claim that India’s Independence was largely won by the Gandhi family.

“Did Mrs. Gandhi consult the whole family before creating Bangladesh?” asks a reader, Sudip from New York. He says he fails to see the logic behind Rahul Gandhi’s remarks. “If Mrs. Gandhi did consult the family about the fate of Pakistan, it just proves that it wasn't her decision alone,” he says.

Many readers have called Rahul’s remarks “immature” while others have said that he has every right to express his views in a country which values freedom of speech. “This is a free country. He has every right to say whatever he wants,” says Tilak from Kolkata, leaving the rider for the end: “If he is ready to face the consequences.”

Viv, writing in from Australia, says: “He has no business talking about things which would stir up sentiments and in any case has no bearing on the future of this country. He is a young man and should think about the future of India rather than trying to be a historian.”

And if Rahul is talking family, why should the readers not? “If his great-grandfather were not ambitious, the division of India could have been avoided. If his great-grandfather willed, the evil of corruption could be nipped in the bud,” says Raje Verma, adding: “If his grandmother did not have a dictatorial mindset, banks would not have been nationalised: India would have been an economic power a long time back, and the institution of the judiciary would have been sacrosanct.”

Some readers agree with Rahul’s comments over his family. “It is a pity for this country where a glorious past of its history, when reminded, is put to dissection. When Pramod Mahajan and his so-called Hindu Samaj equated Sonia with Monika Lewinsky, no such dissection was made. These frenzied people can allow disrespecting a woman, even if it is highly derogatory, but they cannot listen to their glorious history as it was carried out by a lady, that too from the Gandhi family. If a family has made a nation with their own sacrifices, then they have the right to take credit for it also,” says Priyabrata Tripathi from Orissa.

However, some readers have even gone as far as questioning his body language. “His words and body language are sufficient proof of his immaturity. He is not capable of shouldering the responsibility of leading even a national party forget about leading the state and the nation. His only background is, being the grandson of Mrs. Gandhi,” says M Murli from UAE.

Once in a while, humour mixes well with serious issues, and one inspired reply reads: “I agree, at least we know now all of India's terrorist problems either with LTTE, Punjab or present day Kashmir are a result of his family's meddling. Well shot in the foot Rahul,” says Kamal from Bahrain.

READERSPEAK

The guy needs a reality check. Nehru-Gandhi dynasty is a thing of the past.
Trikut
usa

------

It is unfortunate that more than 75% respondents of this poll say Rahul Gandhi's claims on 1947, 1971 are unwarranted. Please try to be honest; it was Congress PM Indira Gandhi who reduced Pakistan's threat to our nation by splitting it.
Indian
India

------

This is a cheap publicity stunt. This only shows how desperate Congress has become.
Vikas
Fiji

-------

Rahul Gandhi doesn't know what politics is. Anyone in the democracy can not claim the credit for any achievement. It is a collective effort. With this kind of MP we can easily visualise India's political scene.
RP Barthwal
Australia

-------

Rahul Gandhi's remarks are childish and immature. He should understand that he knows nothing about Indian politics and will tarnish his prospects in future. It is not only the Gandhi family; there were many unsung heroes who made lots of sacrifices for this country.
Chandra
Maryland

------

I don't know what he is trying to achieve by making such comments. We youngsters appreciate what his family has done but they are not the only one; many other people have made great sacrifices for our country.
SM Saurabh
Pune

------

Such types of childish claims, that too in election times, just show that the concerned person is not yet matured enough to handle the state matters.Lot of things need to be learnt by him. Instead of stressing on the family legacy he should depend more on his skills and correct knowledge to handle the sensitive matters.
Cgumast
Pune

------

Comment :Nothing better can be expected from Rahul Gandhi. So called Leadership has been thrust on him. Is he really qualified to become a mass leader?
Neelima misra
Mumbai

------

Rahul and his supporters are playing vote bank politics here. What have they done for the war prisoners who are languishing in jail?
Ajay
USA

------

These comments show the immaturity and utter lack of social sensitivity of the arrogant "heir" to the Nehru family. No doubt the Indian Public, the majority of whom are not politically literate and are steeped in generations of feudalistic slavery mentality would lap up every arrogant shriek of "family glory".
Ravi
UAE

-------

He has not either studied the history properly or he is not given proper records of the events which took place in those years by his elders. He has to brush up his knowledge before speaking in the public. He is an up coming politician, with his family back ground he can become a progressive leader, if he speak on the issues related to uplifting the weaker section of the society rather than high lighting the work done by his family members. He should know, we are in 21st century and cannot be taken for granted by telling any thing which is selfish in nature.
Hayathulla Khan
Bangalore

--------

This is another proof of the fact that the Nehru family does not see beyond their family in India. And take an advantage of the Gandhi tag given my Mahatma Gandhi, hence it does not surprise me why many people in other country think that Mrs. Indira Gandhi and others are directly related to Mahatma Gandhi...it takes perhaps the 31st century to change the attitude of the Gandhi family.
Praveenalamuri
USA

First of all, how can a family split up a country at a time when only one member of the family was the PM at that time? Mrs. Indira Gandhi was the PM of India when Bangladesh was born. Now, on the other hand, how would Rahul know about all this when he was may be very young (or may not be born yet - since I don't know how old is he)? Secondly, did Mrs. Gandhi consult the whole family before creating Bangladesh? Did she hold a "family meeting" and seek out permissions or ideas from other "family members"? Thirdly, if Mrs. Gandhi did consult the family about the fate of Pakistan, it just proves that it wasn't her decision alone, and she probably lacked the ability to make her own decision. If it came down to the level of consulting the family members about foreign affairs, then it just proves that she was an incompetent person to make the whole call about Pakistan. If that's the whole case, then how is this will help Rahul's cause? What's his logic behind all this? Sorry, but I fail to see any common sense behind Rahul's words.
Sudip
New York

-----------

This is a reflection of immaturity of our leaders. It is not just Rahul Gandhi; Advaniji did the same speaking of Jinnah's secular trait just because he was with the Indian National Congress once upon a time: Jawaharlal Nehru's Bhai Bhai approach to China and his insistence on referring the Kashmir issue to the UN. Manmohan's musing on the muslim "minority" in India. There is a limit to wishful thinking. We need to be aware of the real source of national pride, namely the people of India.
Parag Naik
Canada

------------

Rahul Gandhi has only spoken the facts about the division of Pakistan. There is no need for any Indian to feel embarrassed about it. Imagine having two Pakistan’s today on both our borders!
Edgar Morrison
Delhi

-----------

Rahul is digging his own political grave. It looks like his comments are not only putting Congress in an embarrassing situation but the country as a whole. If he keeps reiterating this, then, well, god bless him.
Chaitanya
Pune

------------

This is a free country. He has every right to say whatever he wants, if he is ready to face the consequences.
Tilak
Kolkata

-------------

He is no different from "standard" Congress politicians who have inherited their current positions. This is a party which has exploited the nascent democracy to fit in its dynastic aspirations, and now as the democracy matures, they find their political positions unsustainable. I am sure he is not going to "inherit" anything, but maybe in next 15 years we will see all these "great" families fizzle out of the Indian political arena.
Ash
USA

------------

He is another politician out to prove that he knows a lot about India and Indians but in reality he knows not much about us at all. It is really sad.
Salim
Ahmedabad

-------------

The statements show the political immaturity of the Gandhi scion. His statements show that only Gandhi-Nehru family are the undisputed rulers of free India.
Deepak Chawathe
Mumbai

--------------

Rahul Gandhi was not born in 1971 and diplomatically it is wrong to incite Pakistan for giving hostile statement. Rahul still needs some maturity in his thoughts and personality. People are rather more concerned about the present instead of past. Obviously the role of Pandit Jawahar Lal Nehru, the then Prime Minister, was unwarranted when he moved to UN Security Council, despite adverse advice by Sardar Patel. So ancestors of Rahul Gandhi were responsible for division of India and more over the present aggressive attitude of Bangladesh.
Ravi Sharma
Lucknow

--------------

It is a pity for this country where a glorious past of its history, when reminded, is put to dissection. When the nonsense Pramod Mahajan and his so-called Hindu Samaj equated Sonia with Monika Lewinsky, no such dissection was made. These frenzied people can allow disrespecting a woman even it is highly derogatory but they cannot listen to their glorious history as it was carried out by a lady, that too from the Gandhi family. If a family has made a nation with their sacrifice then they have the right to take credit for it also.
Priyabrata Tripathi
Orissa

-----------

Successive Congress Politicians (like these) and their YES men have spoiled our country's standing. We Indians should recognize and appreciate real ability and achievement rather than clans. Congress party should stop ancestral family positions within and crack down on lobbies that use them.

Aravind
Mumbai

----------

He has no business in talking about things which would stir up sentiments and in any case has no bearing on the future of this country. He is a young man and should think about the future of India rather than trying to be a historian.
Viv
Australia

------------

Gandhi’s divided Pakistan in 1971 war. Before that Gandhi’s divided India in 1947 (partition and Kashmir war). And now our country’s people can be prepared for a new division which is on its way. All hail the Gandhi family!
Abhinav
Mumbai

As we can see, the "charm" of this damned clan is now wearing off "hearts and minds". Fortunately enough!

Do you think this "khandan" should be allowed to rule, following the almost 'official' Royal announcement that Rahul "The Stud" Gandhi will lead us minions, or should they be banished and sent into an exile forever?

Vote, and discuss!

Last edited:

faraaz

Evil Genius
I didn't like your poll options mate...either I have to love them or hate them?? What about an I don't care option?? And I certainly know who the Gandhi family is so I can't really choose the third one...

And I voted for enough already SIMPLY because there was not an "I don't give a rodent's behind about them" option...

OP
Yamaraj

Yamaraj

The Lord of Death
If you're ignoring the oligarchy in India, you're just doing them a huge favor. They have clearly hijacked the Congress party and the Indian government. It's not like she's a Queen Elizabeth, that we have to bow before her and accept her son as our next King.

You're either with them, or against them.

kumarmohit

Technomancer
Yamaraj said:
If you're ignoring the oligarchy in India, you're just doing them a huge favor. They have clearly hijacked the Congress party and the Indian government. It's not like she's a Queen Elizabeth, that we have to bow before her and accept her son as our next King.

You're either with them, or against them.

Hell Queen Elizabeth is way better than Sonia coz she does not behave like Sonia Gandhi does, all power and no responsibility. Atleast the queen lets the British Parliament decide on its own. In India our queen sits right in the parliament, so much for free working of parliament.

OP
Yamaraj

Yamaraj

The Lord of Death
kumarmohit said:
Hell Queen Elizabeth is way better than Sonia coz she does not behave like Sonia Gandhi does, all power and no responsibility. Atleast the queen lets the British Parliament decide on its own. In India our queen sits right in the parliament, so much for free working of parliament.
Exactly!

faraaz

Evil Genius
Hmm...I vote for Congress because I don't like BJP...not because I'm a huge fan of the Gandhi dynasty or any reason like that...and I disagree with you when you say that you are either with them or against them...

praka123

left this forum longback
No BHAJAPA pls :(

I dont want BJP to be in power,i cant tolerate,even in my memory BJP raaj killing nuns and priests and members of the minority X'ian Community which i am also a member of.even I dont like Congress doing this OBC quota things for Votes.I hate Communism too @ max.so the only option locks @ Congress.

OP
Yamaraj

Yamaraj

The Lord of Death
All political parties are corrupt beyond belief - be it BJP, Congress or the Communists. That's what made me create the "revolution" thread. But at least, BJP and communists don't have this "family" drama.

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
Rahul Gandhi- All fart no sh*t

Mayawati(even though she is corrupt, she is one of the better politicians. Better is a relative word. In the words of a driver from UP whom I know, 'Mayavati ke time pe helmet ki checking hoti thi')- All sh*t no fart

Mulayam- No sh*t no fart

Sonia- Doesn't deserve a mention

Mannu- Naw.. too honest to be PM

Last edited:

kumarmohit

Technomancer
Yamaraj said:
All political parties are corrupt beyond belief - be it BJP, Congress or the Communists. That's what made me create the "revolution" thread. But at least, BJP and communists don't have this "family" drama.

Actually the commies do have it. Prakash and Vrinda (or is it Brinda) Karaat, I do not know if they have a kid, I somewhere read that they do not. Thank Heavens.

blackpearl

The Devil
Everyplace you go in India, you will find atleast one park, stadium, road or any public building named after Nehru or Indira Gandhi. What the bloody hell?? Whatever happened to the other great people of our country? How many places and roads are named after CV Raman, Ramanujan, Jagadish Chandra Bose or Chandrasekhar. Since when politician started to become heroes? And what the bloody hell Indira Gandhi did?

mediator

Technomancer
mail2and said:
Mayawati(even though she is corrupt, she is one of the better politicians. Better is a relative word. In the words of a driver from UP whom I know, 'Mayavati ke time pe helmet ki checking hoti thi')- All sh*t no fart
I pity the poor jewellery she wears which loses its dignity the moment she wears it!

I think all that Rahul Baba will do now is to marry a firangi who will become the next Sonia.

Tech.Masti

Wise Old Owl
GANDHI's NEHERU's made some things....... 1) make pakistan.... 2) start RAJTANTRA indirectly........ 3) changed future of india, yes, think about those time.... Netaji was very popular and everyone knows that after independence he will be PM...... So they make some plan against NETAJI and this plan is still running by congress..... Why they doesnt release NETAJI's and INA 's secret files to public? Why they reject MUKHERJEE commissions report without showing any reason..... Netaji was not died in plane crash..... If those secret files are out in public then the worst things made by them will be come front of everyone.... Just thing about it, if NETAJI was our first PM then ............. 4) making Bangladesh..... Only good work i can remember have lots of points but cant remember now..... And 99.9% politician know only POCKET :mad:

karnivore

in your face..
Yamaraj said:
But at least, BJP and communists don't have this "family" drama.

Rest assured, they have. Perhaps not "family", but surely "legacy"

BJP = RSS.

CPI(M) = Mao Tse Tung and China.

CPI = Lenin and erstwhile Russia.

As with the Gandhi family, to hell with them.

Tech.Masti

Wise Old Owl
Yamraj, read on newspaper that Rahul is making such comments for cheap popularity and attrackting people :mad: and top congress leaders supports this......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom