The LG Optimus One Thread

Neo

I did research around a bit and I'm writing down the steps here in nutshell:
1. Root your phone.
2. Go to the Android Market and install ROM Manager.
3. Open ROM Manager and click on Flash ClockworkMod Recovery.
4. LG Optimus One will be displayed. Then allow the Superuser access.
5. ClockworkMod Recovery will be installed. Select Reboot into Recovery. Press the menu key to Reboot your phone. Custom recovery is installed successfully on your phone now.
6. Download the ROM and move it to SD card(no need to unzip the .zip file). Latest stable release of CM7 at the time of writing this post: beta6.5.7
7. Power off your phone now and boot into recovery mode by pressing the Volume Down, Home and Power switch keys.
8. Now select Backup/Restore and then Nandbackup to backup your current ROM to your SD card.
9. Select Wipe Date/Factory Reset and then Wipe cache partition.
10. Select Install zip from SD card and choose the zip file of ROM.
11. Aftrer finishing..Go to advanced and choose ‘Wipe Dalvik Cache’.
12. Reboot and wait for good 15 mins to start off your phone. Finished. :)

Now some queries:
a) Are my steps correct? I don't want to turn my phone to brick. So just taking extra care.
b) Check the 10th and 11th step. Here first I installed the ROM from the SD card and then Wiped Dalvik cache.. Do I need to wipe the Dalvik cache before installing the ROM or after installing the ROM?
c) How to wipe the battery stats.?
d) Anything else I missed out/you want to say?

if you take my advice then don't use Rom Manager for installing custom recovery.
i tried doing this with Rom Manager and got astuck at Fastboot.
Rom Manger is Hell.

do it using adb.

and what are other good ROMS other than cm7?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
almost all the other "good" ROMs are CM7 derived. maybe except a few. i find CM7 the best. flash it & then tweak it as you like.

tmanikandan

The Incredible
Power off your phone now and boot into recovery mode by pressing the Volume Down, Home and Power switch keys.

Boot into Normal mode and then reboot into Recovery mode. Also don't go for official update of Gingerbread as of now as definitely it might have lot of bugs . Better root and go for CM7. LG might release stable version of gingerbread of O1 after few releases. U can try that after some time if u wish.

U can try MIUI, Void forever , Fusion Rom and also XDA may also have few more ROMS. But CM7 is the best.

sganesh

Journeyman
Does official android 2.3 update released from LG?.Today i tried updating through LG pc suite.But no use.still it has latest as 2.2.

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
Does official android 2.3 update released from LG?.Today i tried updating through LG pc suite.But no use.still it has latest as 2.2.

Gingerbread is still not released for India. Its the same phone, I don't know why they won't release it for all the phones at the same time. Right now, you can get the official Romanian version on XDA.

But it is useless. Still buggy. CM7 has fewer bugs than that...

Nipun

Whompy Whomperson
Finally rooted my phone using GingerBreak.... It was much easier than I thought... :D :D

Will try to change boot screen now... :D

Well, I tried to change it, but it doesn't work. This is what I did:

Created images and saved them frame-by-frame. Named them as "00000", "00001", "00002", "00003",....
Saved them in folder named "part0".
Made a text file called desc and wrote this in it:
Code:
320 480 3
p 0 2 part0
Zipped the folder and text file with name "bootanimation.zip" & compression mode as "Store".
Transfered the file to SD Card.
Downloaded File Expert and installed it on device.
Copied the zip file and was about to paste it in "data\local", but there was no local folder!
Finally pasted in "System\Media". The pasting process was shown but no file is shown in the media folder!

Tried to reboot but boot animation is not shown. What am I doing wrong? :confused:

-------

Also, I transfered a video to my phone but it says that resolution is not supported. Now I found that resolution is 696 x 368 and phone supports 320x480... :D So how can I reduce the resolution? :???:

Last edited:

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
Finally rooted my phone using GingerBreak.... It was much easier than I thought... :D :D

Will try to change boot screen now... :D

Well, I tried to change it, but it doesn't work. This is what I did:

Created images and saved them frame-by-frame. Named them as "00000", "00001", "00002", "00003",....
Saved them in folder named "part0".
Made a text file called desc and wrote this in it:
Code:
320 480 3
p 0 2 part0
Zipped the folder and text file with name "bootanimation.zip" & compression mode as "Store".
Transfered the file to SD Card.
Downloaded File Expert and installed it on device.
Copied the zip file and was about to paste it in "data\local", but there was no local folder!
Finally pasted in "System\Media". The pasting process was shown but no file is shown in the media folder!

Tried to reboot but boot animation is not shown. What am I doing wrong? :confused:

-------

Also, I transfered a video to my phone but it says that resolution is not supported. Now I found that resolution is 696 x 368 and phone supports 320x480... :D So how can I reduce the resolution? :???:

To reduce video resolution, you might want to try LG's PC suite. I haven't tested it as of yet. I generally download videos from Youtube in 480p mp4 format.

You might want to try Allok Video converter...

For custom boot screens, you have to copy the file to file to /data/local/ of the phone memory, not SD Card... I use Root Explorer for that...

Cheers!

TechnoFan

Bazinga!
Crystal clear quality for me: How to convert videos and transfer them to the LG Optimus One - Know Your Cell

Nipun

Whompy Whomperson
To reduce video resolution, you might want to try LG's PC suite. I haven't tested it as of yet. I generally download videos from Youtube in 480p mp4 format.

You might want to try Allok Video converter...

For custom boot screens, you have to copy the file to file to /data/local/ of the phone memory, not SD Card... I use Root Explorer for that...

Cheers!
I can't get you. I did the same, I guess....

:/ :???:

Crystal clear quality for me: How to convert videos and transfer them to the LG Optimus One - Know Your Cell
ok thanks.. Will try it :)

TechnoFan

Bazinga!
Thanks for all the reply and help guys.. Successfully flashed my phone with CM7. Yay! :D

Now I noticed that Android market is missing from my app drawer. Googled around a bit and found that I've to flash again with GAPPS. Have one query as usual.. :p : This time I've to just download the GAPPS and move it to SD card(no need to unzip the .zip file) > Power off the phone and boot into recovery mode by pressing the Volume Down, Home and Power switch keys > Select Install zip from SD card and choose the zip file of ROM.

This time I don't have to Wipe Date/Factory Reset, Wipe cache partition, Wipe Dalvik Cache, etc..right? ONLY the simple install zip from SD..right?

-------

Also guys where is the option to enable USB Mass Storage mode in CM7?

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Installed NoFrills, using SmartassV2 729/480, getting 1294 in Quadrant with Mik's 6.5.7 + Franco's V19.4 :)

Any better suggestions, I guess Quadrant scores are low as vsync has been enabled.

One more thing, I replaced ADW with Launcher Pro Plus, now accelerometer hangs sometime. I mean when I turn the screen, the gadgets takes sometime to re-draw.

So I OC'd. Now lets see if it helps or not.

BTW anything else I need to keep in mind while OC'ing my phone??

I know the basic rule, take 1 step, test, take another :p

Anything else??

One more thing, I guess as like PC's OC'ing also decreases Mobile Proccy's Lifetime. Am I right??

Neo

Thanks for all the reply and help guys.. Successfully flashed my phone with CM7. Yay! :D

Now I noticed that Android market is missing from my app drawer. Googled around a bit and found that I've to flash again with GAPPS. Have one query as usual.. :p : This time I've to just download the GAPPS and move it to SD card(no need to unzip the .zip file) > Power off the phone and boot into recovery mode by pressing the Volume Down, Home and Power switch keys > Select Install zip from SD card and choose the zip file of ROM.

This time I don't have to Wipe Date/Factory Reset, Wipe cache partition, Wipe Dalvik Cache, etc..right? ONLY the simple install zip from SD..right?

-------

no .you don't need to wipe anything.

when you connect your phone to pc , an icon comes in the notification bar to configure USB mass storage.

TechnoFan

Bazinga!

Okay guys, just installed the zip..no wiping. Got android market in my app drawer. Win. :D

Gets an option to enable it automatically whenever I connect my phone to laptop via USB. :D

Lets explore!

Last edited:

TechnoFan

Bazinga!
Guys, in CM7, by default, apps will install to whatever location the developer intends, or they get automatically installed to SD card?

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
You can set it under Settings > Cyanogen Mod Settings > Application > Install Location.

Otherwise let it be as it is, and move applications to SD Card manually.

Top Bottom