The LG Optimus One Thread

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Hi, I'm going to buy LG Optimus One next week.

I want to know, for changing themes is it mandatory to root your phone?? Actually that's what I've got after reading few posts on XDA.

I don't want to install Custom ROM's or so, just a theme, same like apps. Please confirm.

One more thing...I don't like...the default theme...

Is it possible to change the theme from....
*www.unwiredview.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/lg_optimus_one_three_network-small.jpg

to

*androidandme.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/samsung-vibrant-render.jpg

without rooting?? I don't like the black dock bar, I want it to be transparent.

bharathbala2003

why need title?
Hi..

without rooting you can't change the theme as of now.. :( but then u can modify the UI using widgets, live wallpapers and launchers (like LPP, ADW etc) which would also change the look..

[edit] btw for getting a iphone like (or samsung galaxy) style launcher and app drawer you could install the vlauncher.. check android market for screenshots.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Hi..

without rooting you can't change the theme as of now.. :( but then u can modify the UI using widgets, live wallpapers and launchers (like LPP, ADW etc) which would also change the look..

[edit] btw for getting a iphone like (or samsung galaxy) style launcher and app drawer you could install the vlauncher.. check android market for screenshots.

So this is the default theme, and no other themes are available right??

BTW does rooting voids warranty??

One more thing, installing theme doesn't have anything to do with Custom ROM or so right??

Is it like I just need the theme file which I want to install and also which supports my Stock ROM and root my phone and install it following the instructions. Right??

bharathbala2003

why need title?
^^
Yes rooting voids the warranty officially but i read that some people could use the warranty even if they have rooted phone and custom rom. But, manual says that you will lose it... so if u install a custom recovery alone there shouldn't be a problem.. even if you install a custom rom you could always flash the lg stock rom without a issue.. any android phone when rooted loses warranty.. and themes in any android phones i know need to be installed via rooting the device.. :( but as i told before.. if you don't want to root and still get customization you need to use widgets, launchers etc..

as for installing custom themes (if supported by stock rom which is very less i think) is thro' custom recovery.. details of using custom recovery can be found at xda.. don't worry its not difficult process :)

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
so it is final? no more Ace or Symbian?

Yup, it's final, so are there too..!! I didn't knew that. Username please.

its not the theme. it is LG launcher. yes, that can be done. install Launcher Pro.

Hmm...thanks.

Don't you think it's wired, a OS which is mainly known for it's apps and customizations, providers are limiting us to install themes. I mean I also won't get choise of themes too. I need to live with Stock Theme.

Or I think, the theme concept that I've is wrong or doesn't apply in case of Android. Like in Symbians themes means whole look changes, but as you suggested above, widgets, launcher, icons everything is different entity. So what actually is the theme in terms of Android?? I mean if I change a theme what changes I'd expect??

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Yup, it's final, so are there too..!! I didn't knew that. Username please.

huh? what username?

Hmm...thanks.

Don't you think it's wired, a OS which is mainly known for it's apps and customizations, providers are limiting us to install themes. I mean I also won't get choise of themes too. I need to live with Stock Theme.

to retain its identity. a Samsung Galaxy Ace without touchwiz maybe mistaken for iphone or some chinese phone. & same for others. they work so hard to build a (crappy) theme & if they allow you to change it, most will change it on first use as these themes are responsible for slowdowns.

Or I think, the theme concept that I've is wrong or doesn't apply in case of Android. Like in Symbians themes means whole look changes, but as you suggested above, widgets, launcher, icons everything is different entity. So what actually is the theme in terms of Android?? I mean if I change a theme what changes I'd expect??

i think it means the launcher + Widgets + the look & organization of menu whole as a package. also the homescreen will show time in or date is some different manner. or maybe the top status bar colour also.

k4ce

Youngling
you can change:

1. Launcher
2. Widgets
3. Keyboard

Basically almost every element is customizable ... and launchers like ADW has themes that you can use ... everything available on the marketplace and most of it is free .... enjoy customizing your android

guru_urug

iGoogle
Lol y wld someone do it deliberately .. anyway I think 730 is a safe bet.. btw hw many of u hv rooted ur o1??

Ppl burn iphone 4 and other high-end phones just to see which lasts the longest in a barbeque! So its possible... :p

I have rooted my phone,custom recovery,megatron v1 (with minitron patch),miks kernel.

@krishnandu.sarkar
I was running V10_c firmware initially and the phone was horriblly laggy and slow. neocore used to only give me arnd 25-27fps!
Even after just downgrading firmware to V10_b I got noticible performance improvement (neocore 42-43 fps). So if you dont want to root, then atleast make sure you downgrade to V10_b, if ur phone has V10_c. But ofcourse the touchscreen bug will remain.

I have a doubt..if I flash a theme and dont like it...how do I remove it? Do I have to flash the ROM again?

bharathbala2003

why need title?
^^

am using megatron base but modified using the kitchen..

as for themes you can take a nandroid before u flash so that you can use that to restore it to previous state.. flashing the rom all over again will result in loss of data.. i have tried the galaxy and amberhome black theme on megatron and wasn't satisfied.. then i flashed the miui and its good so far..

upendra_gp

In the zone
hey guys use this KERNEL. it really makes the phone more smooth.
also now dungeon hunter doesn't lag after using this kernel.
btw did anyone try NOVA?

guru_urug

iGoogle
Did anyone try this?
xda-developers - View Single Post - [DEV][UPDATE: 2-10-11][Optimus One multitouch fixes]

some new touchscreen bug kernel by user sippolo...

BTW what exactly is kitchen? how to use it?
something to do wid the dalvik cache?

bharathbala2003

why need title?
hey guys use this KERNEL. it really makes the phone more smooth.
also now dungeon hunter doesn't lag after using this kernel.
btw did anyone try NOVA?

This is the Mik's kernel we were talking abt...

Did anyone try this?
xda-developers - View Single Post - [DEV][UPDATE: 2-10-11][Optimus One multitouch fixes]

some new touchscreen bug kernel by user sippolo...

BTW what exactly is kitchen? how to use it?
something to do wid the dalvik cache?

I haven't tried it yet.. the optimus one has some issues with multitouch.. this is developed to eliminate that...

the kitchen is a sw developed for the HTC but works on other devices as well.. it is used to create, modify and save custom rom's from stock or from previous rom's..

Refer this link for using kitchen

*forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=901417

guru_urug

iGoogle
Just flashed the sipolo's kernel...will tell if there is any improvement

---------- Post added at 05:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:39 PM ----------

Moving from mik kernelv1 to sipolos kernel(based on mik v1.1) there is slight improvement in fps(arnd 3 fps) with finger touch on stock freq..... at higher freq it will only get bttr
Will monitor batt usage and post tmrw regarding batt life

guru_urug

iGoogle
Anyone tried cyanogen rom? based on GB....which one is better miks or andys? Ive been following both threads on xda forums and they both seem promising..wud like to know any personal experiences b4 trying it out

bharathbala2003

why need title?
i was thinking today evening about trying.. but 2 things are making me wait for a more stable release..

1) inability to manually search for network (needed a lot when travelling in india)
2) Bluetooth headset issues..

Top Bottom