The Lenovo Z500 with GT 740m thread

OP
T

thinkdigit123

Broken In
thanks...
i have many doubts at the moment.. will surface them one by one :)
ok HW monitor is not showing the nvidia 740m in the temperature list. but GPU-Z shows it and the device manager also states that it is working properly. so the reckon that the 740m will start automatically when doing graphics intensive works(like gaming)???. Moreover as you were saying earlier that optimus tech is present , well i didn't find it at all in any of the settings, you sure it is present?
well, my HW monitor shows it to be present!! Look at my screenshots. :p
The technology of switching between HD4000 and gt740m is called Optimus. And both of them are there. So we do have Optimus.

where are elan settings????
the touchpad settings. U will find it in notifications.

hey guys i have placed the order for the Z500 from FK for Rs.45990 and its still payment processing ... should i cancel it ?. it has offer : "Lenovo Branded Backpack, e-Voucher Worth Rs. 2000/- and 1 Year Free ADP (Accidental Damage Protection) (Redemption Offer)"

Lenovo Ideapad Z500 (59-380480) Laptop (3rd Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 1TB/ Win8/ 1GB Graph) - Lenovo: Flipkart.com
Good decision brother! Dont cancel it. Have it! Its awesome!! Congrats bro!! Welcome to the club!! :)

Hey even I registered yesterday. The ADP has arrived so now you have 2 years of ADP right? Because 1 year was already there from the beginning.
I doubt. I gotta call up customer care & ask them. I feel its 1 year ADP only. :(

rohitshubham

Ambassador of Buzz
ok thanks :)
what does your dxdiag shows you?? i mean which gpu is in display tab??
and what does your intel graphics and media control shows you?(built in display is the only option in mine )

Last edited:
OP
T

thinkdigit123

Broken In
UPDATE
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger...on ultra
*s20.postimg.org/sut9rvual/Co_JGunslinger_2013_07_09_05_13_58_60.jpg

CAll of Duty 4: Modern Warfare...on Ultra & high
*s20.postimg.org/4lyqtx4il/cod4.jpg
*s20.postimg.org/d2t77q2vx/cod4_high.jpg

GPU-Z screenshots------------------------------------------------------------
*s20.postimg.org/lprpdreot/hd4000.gif...HD 4000
*s20.postimg.org/dvr3sd6vx/gt740m.gif...GT 740m
As it is clearly seen, the GT 740m is based on the older GK208 architecture, thats, 64-bit memory bus width. Now thats a big let down. Nevertheless, its a great GPU and there is boost enabled too, upto 1033Mhz! Now that's cool.

Unigine Heaven Benchmarks----------------------------------------------
*s20.postimg.org/awywd7zfh/ghkpp.jpg
*s20.postimg.org/udjlzqujh/ghkpp2.jpg

Speccy-----------------------------------------------------------
*s20.postimg.org/mq6csarkt/speccy.jpg
The speccy info sheet for GT740m shows that it has 3 LEVELS of operation! Namely.... Level 1: 2D desktop, Level 2 : Default, Level 3 : 3D apps. And do note from GPU-Z sheet that GT740m boosts upto 1033Mhz.

Battery experience
~~~~~~~~~~~
i started off with 76% battery. I played GRID2 for 1.5 hours on battery mode. Then saw a full movie of 1.6 hours. And after that i was shown 20% charge left (1hr 20mins left). Awesome battery! Highly impressed. :)

ujjwal007

Lost in games
UPDATE
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger...on ultra
*s20.postimg.org/sut9rvual/Co_JGunslinger_2013_07_09_05_13_58_60.jpg

CAll of Duty 4: Modern Warfare...on Ultra & high
*s20.postimg.org/4lyqtx4il/cod4.jpg
*s20.postimg.org/d2t77q2vx/cod4_high.jpg

GPU-Z screenshots------------------------------------------------------------
*s20.postimg.org/lprpdreot/hd4000.gif...HD 4000
*s20.postimg.org/dvr3sd6vx/gt740m.gif...GT 740m
As it is clearly seen, the GT 740m is based on the older GK208 architecture, thats, 64-bit memory bus width. Now thats a big let down. Nevertheless, its a great GPU and there is boost enabled too, upto 1033Mhz! Now that's cool.

Unigine Heaven Benchmarks----------------------------------------------
*s20.postimg.org/awywd7zfh/ghkpp.jpg
*s20.postimg.org/udjlzqujh/ghkpp2.jpg

Speccy-----------------------------------------------------------
*s20.postimg.org/mq6csarkt/speccy.jpg
The speccy info sheet for GT740m shows that it has 3 LEVELS of operation! Namely.... Level 1: 2D desktop, Level 2 : Default, Level 3 : 3D apps. And do note from GPU-Z sheet that GT740m boosts upto 1033Mhz.

Battery experience
~~~~~~~~~~~
i started off with 76% battery. I played GRID2 for 1.5 hours on battery mode. Then saw a full movie of 1.6 hours. And after that i was shown 20% charge left (1hr 20mins left). Awesome battery! Highly impressed. :)

battery life is good :D but not compareable to Samsung SO2-IN :D my laptop is nearly a year old and i still got around 5 hours backup and jbl sub woofer rocks :) this laptop is great too! got gt740m gives same performance as gt650m
but main factor is about price this beast is 5k cheap :D so a good deal!

Sukhvinder789

Broken In
In previous lenovo z500 i.e, with gt645m.. is the gt645m in that based on gk107 architecture??
and what will be the difference between gt645m (gk107) and gt740m (gk208)...

sivarap

In the zone
Where do I buy in bangalore? the rates as far as i've checked are pretty steep when compared to Flipkart price.
The closest is for Rs46000 at Laptop world in BTM.
Any idea where I can get for price less than Flipkart's? i do not want to wait for 7-8 days. I
ll change my mind. :)

rohitshubham

Ambassador of Buzz
Where do I buy in bangalore? the rates as far as i've checked are pretty steep when compared to Flipkart price.
The closest is for Rs46000 at Laptop world in BTM.
Any idea where I can get for price less than Flipkart's? i do not want to wait for 7-8 days. I
ll change my mind. :)
don't go to exclusive brand retailers, instead go to multi brand retailer, i brought mine for 44.5k in Patna where as exclusive retailers where as exclusive retailers were asking for 46k

RON28

Cyborg Agent
how bus width is 64 bit? notebookcheck says its 128 bit, if its 64 bit then seriously games won't perform that good.

Sukhvinder789

Broken In
how bus width is 64 bit? notebookcheck says its 128 bit, if its 64 bit then seriously games won't perform that good.
yeah, thats a really big let down in this laptop, at 1366x768 ultra settings it will give almost half the fps which a 128 bit gt740m would give.. damn.. I was thinking of getting this one.... :( :(

rohitshubham

Ambassador of Buzz
yeah, thats a really big let down in this laptop, at 1366x768 ultra settings it will give almost half the fps which a 128 bit gt740m would give.. damn.. I was thinking of getting this one.... :( :(
Nope, that's not the case. that GK107 varient has been equipped with core clock of 810 MHz where as the core clock of GK208 is 900 MHz. so nvidia has added whooping 190 MHz to compensate for the bus width. moreover the Bandwidth of the 1gb varient is again 11%higher than 2Gb varient. aa.gif
now for the bus width and performance

A higher Bus width allows for the transfer of more data per LOAD operation. In theory, a 256-bit CPU can access 4x as much data as a 64-bit CPU in a single LOAD operation (hence, why CPU's tend to be clocked higher, to allow for more LOAD operations to compensate for a small data bus).

Provided the GPU can execute all its data in a single cycle, the higher bus width would clearly be faster. Of course, that almost never happens, so most of the data needs to be stored in RAM, where faster RAM speeds then start to close the distance.

Hence theres almost no diffrence between the two approaches, at least in current applications. I suspect that purley mathematical functions, as opposed to rendering, would run much faster on a wider bus though (maybe the reason ATI refuses to implement Physx? Because NVIDIA's larger Bus would be too big an advantage in benchies? )

The GK208 version however, seems to be performing worse. Still, the performance depends on the core clock and the GPU Boost 2.0.

The chip is a revision of the Kepler GK107 which contains over 384 shader units, but the memory interface has been reduced from 128 to only 64 bit. NVIDIA does attempt to compensate for this disadvantage by using higher clock speeds, but it will have to be seen whether that is enogh
so, even notebook check's not not sure about the performance, so we cannot simply say that it will give half the frame rate.
Now for the stats, 3dmarks 2013 (Ice storm)
score of GK 107 varient with 3217U(weaker than 3230m) processor is 48808
score of GK107 variant with 3540M(much stronger than 3230m) processor is 74824.
score of Gk 208 variant with 3230M is 56020.
now since 3540m is much powerful than 3230 and has many more cores(2x), so the score of GK107 should vary between the avg of 3217U(i3) and 3540m(i7) i.e. rougly 61-62k
so the performance difference between them would be 8-10% not 50%and one more thing
the GK208 architecture is comparatively newer than GK107 one and is more energy efficient so, it will give better battery life while plaing on battery.
I am seriously not saying that the performance of GK208 is better than GK107 but the difference in performance is 10-15% not 50% also it's performance is slightly better than amd 8750m and it gives the advantage of better battery life and less heat generation at the cost of performance from GK107.

Last edited:

Sukhvinder789

Broken In
Yes the GK208 architecture is newer as compared to the GK107 architecture... One more doubt I have is the gk208 is running on pcie 3.0 x8 whereas the gk107 is running on pcie 3.0 x16..how does this affect performance?
PS : I may be wrong...
Edit: Should I wait for Haswell, is it worth waiting for ? The main thing I want is more performance at less cost, and the best graphics card in the budget of atmost 50k.

Last edited:

Ruben

Broken In
Okay guys,,,i am planning buy this.I just need to know what is the wibdows experience index score of gaming graphics in windows 8 ....7670m has a rating of 6.5.
Please sum1 tell about this gpu.

Sukhvinder789

Broken In
^^ You can go for this. It's a great laptop.
I would like to clear my doubts first, and I think this is the best place full of experts! xD
Btw do you think with the launch of haswell we will be able to see cards like gt 745m and HD 8770m ??
and please someone answer my previous query about the bus interface..

Thank you.

Okay guys,,,i am planning buy this.I just need to know what is the wibdows experience index score of gaming graphics in windows 8 ....7670m has a rating of 6.5.
Please sum1 tell about this gpu.

please dont rely upon the windows experience index score.. rather check for the game benchmarks or 3D mark, unigine benchmarks...
They will tell you about the real power of a graphics card.

Ruben

Broken In
I know WEI score are not reliable but still it would be nice.i can compare with my freinds lappy and help me choose.
thinkdigit123 please please give the score of the gaming graphics of ur lappy.anyone else having these lappy please upload the score.

rohitshubham

Ambassador of Buzz
Yes the GK208 architecture is newer as compared to the GK107 architecture... One more doubt I have is the gk208 is running on pcie 3.0 x8 whereas the gk107 is running on pcie 3.0 x16..how does this affect performance?
PS : I may be wrong...
Edit: Should I wait for Haswell, is it worth waiting for ? The main thing I want is more performance at less cost, and the best graphics card in the budget of atmost 50k.
the performance will not take a hit at all because the data transfer rate achieved by pci-e 2.0x16 is more than the GPU an handle . for example it can handle like pcie 2.0 -5Gb/s of data and pcie 3.0- 8gb/s but gpu is capable of only say 3gb/s so, the performance will not take a hit. it's a common sense that which ever interface is used, the manufacturer will never fit it in an interface which will not allow to use it's full potential. :)

regarding haswell chips, i don't feel haswell proessors will come into market before diwali in the price range of 40000Rs and that too with a decent GPU. the performance of Haswell processors is roughly 10% more and not much but they offer unprecedented levels of coolness and energy efficiency. So, if you can wait till diwali then maybe you can see Haswell lappy's within this budget.

I know WEI score are not reliable but still it would be nice.i can compare with my freinds lappy and help me choose.
thinkdigit123 please please give the score of the gaming graphics of ur lappy.anyone else having these lappy please upload the score.
It's 6.5
when i bought the lappy the graphics score was 4.5 and CPU score was 7.2 , after running the asseesment one it cahnged to these levels.
Windows index.jpg

Ruben

Broken In
Well thanks for the score.I am actually confused now between dell inspiron 15r 5521 and this lappy.Cause the 8730m has a score of 6.6.So what do u say i should go for this or dell one.
@rohitshubham.

rohitshubham

Ambassador of Buzz
Well thanks for the score.I am actually confused now between dell inspiron 15r 5521 and this lappy.Cause the 8730m has a score of 6.6.So what do u say i should go for this or dell one.
@rohitshubham.
a)8730 is weaker than 740m .
b)i5 3337u is much weaker than 3230m.
it will be a bottle neck for games

Top Bottom