The Lenovo Z500 with GT 740m thread

SunE

Professional Newbie
You've ordered the same laptop?.

I though you have ordered some other and you can't cancel your order as you said in other thread about you opting for EMI option.

BTW when will you get it?

Yeah I ordered this one only.

Flipkart says expected delivery by 12 July so let's hope it reaches me before that. Will send them an e-mail tomorrow requesting a faster delivery.

OP
T

thinkdigit123

Broken In
flipkart clearly states that it has backlit keyboard... are you sure about it???
dude, the previous generation Z500 with gt 645m was also stated as backlit keyboard but a guy who took it from flipkart confirmed it did not have a backlit keyboard. FK sucks in the specs writing department. :p

^^ Worked for some other guy(refer the flipkart watch thread). Will try my luck :p
dude, i had ordered that samsung np370 lappy and it had arrived at my local hub but then i cancelled it. The courier guy even called me up on Wednesday morning whereas the expected date of delivery was given as friday. :p
FK is good on delivery department. :)

post some pics, hands on review which includes build quality, looks etc etc and at what time you'll reach home?
its gonna be evening until the pics come up here :p

OP
T

thinkdigit123

Broken In
@ALL
at last, i have my z500 in my hands!! Pics coming in soon!!

First look impressions:
>> Its thin. Its sleek. Its SEXY.
>> The "tactile soft touch" back is a finger-print magnet
>> loads of bloatware
>> there is no harddisk activity indicator! Come on Lenovo!

Gotta eat something first. Really hungry. Will then put up the pics! :p

#hyper :hyper:
#ecstatic :cool:

deepanshuchg

Ambassador of Buzz
@ALL
at last, i have my z500 in my hands!! Pics coming in soon!!

First look impressions:
>> Its thin. Its sleek. Its SEXY.
>> The "tactile soft touch" back is a finger-print magnet
>> loads of bloatware
>> there is no harddisk activity indicator! Come on Lenovo!

Gotta eat something first. Really hungry. Will then put up the pics! :p

#hyper :hyper:
#ecstatic :cool:

Be quick dude.. Eagerly waiting :p

OP
T

thinkdigit123

Broken In
Lenovo Z500 59-380463 review

PART I
-------------------------------------------------------------------5th July, 2013

Prologue
~~~~~
My search for a laptop began around 5 to 6 months back. I was in no hurry bcz my desktop was still going strong (P4) and there were enough laptops in my hostel to get jobs done.
I kept researching online...Samsung np370r5e-s05in and dell inspiron 15r turbo lost the race to the new Lenovo Z500 with gt 740m.
So, finally after months of tormentation about buying my first laptop (Second PC), i landed upon the Lenovo Z500. A lot of thanks to SunE, that i found this magnificent laptop. Afterall, you dont find your dream gadgets, the dream gadgets find you. ;)

For the specs of this laptop, please see the first post of this thread. BTW, my laptop's part number is 59-380463 (6gb ram, 2gb ddr3 gt 740m)

First pics...
*s21.postimg.org/bwvzumpyf/box.jpg
*s21.postimg.org/lrwbsc8o7/lappy4.jpg

The first look
~~~~~~~~
Gentlemen, there can be only word to describe the looks of this laptop: SEXY. The exterior looks of the Z500 redefines beauty. Its sleek and can easily challenge the slimness of some ultrabooks out there. Its really surprising that Lenovo designed such a beauty after so many years of being in the market. What were u doing Lenny??
*s21.postimg.org/3snvpw3jb/front.jpg...the front
*s21.postimg.org/v8cy7hdrb/back.jpg...the back
*s21.postimg.org/ar5s125t3/side1.jpg...side 1
*s21.postimg.org/oamm6rjs7/side3.jpg...side 3

The Dark Chocolate colour is just brilliant. BUT BUT BUT, the much advertised "soft tactile touch" lid is a bad finger-print and dust magnet. From the moment the laptop was taken out of its box, it started collecting dust & fingerprints. A daily grooming of the lid is needed.
*s21.postimg.org/l9rzl04br/dust_magnet.jpg here, the dust & finger prints are clearly visible!

The next big thing that struck me was... there is no harddisk/processor activity indicator! Come on Lenny, its there on all PCs/Lappys. It wouldnt have hurt to provide an extra LED. However, there is a battery indicator which practically has no use!
*s21.postimg.org/nojv5fkkn/indicators.jpg...only 2 LED indicators: on/off (blinks when in Sleep) and a battery indicator!

Next, the speakers... its at the bottom of the laptop. Many might say that crazy designing but I have heard the sound from the z500 (friend's lappy) and it was like any other laptop. I found it a little above average infact.
*s21.postimg.org/4eqmr82qv/speaker_grill.jpg...the left speaker grill underneath the laptop.

The new Z500 has a combo headphone/microphone port. So it uses a 3.5mm phone headset. So guys with their generic separate headphone & mic ports need an adapter/converter. (will buy it shortly)
*s21.postimg.org/e06f2aprb/combo_port.jpg...a combo port: boon for some, bane for others.

Its not self-serviceable. U need a laptop service personnel to open it up. Here's the lappy's underside... *s21.postimg.org/3s0wt6kmf/underside.jpg

There is a hoard of unwanted softwares included. Office 365, McAfee 1 month, Power DVD etc etc. For the list u can check the Lenovo Official website. *s21.postimg.org/e6opj4o9z/bloatware.jpg...There are loads and loads of bloatware

Attachments

• P1160583.JPG
    P1160583.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 112
  • P1160542.JPG
    P1160542.JPG
    151.1 KB · Views: 122
  • P1160559.JPG
    P1160559.JPG
    144.3 KB · Views: 117
  • P1160578.JPG
    P1160578.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 109
  • P1160550.JPG
    P1160550.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 106
  • P1160587.JPG
    P1160587.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 112
  • P1160556.JPG
    P1160556.JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 113
  • P1160585.JPG
    P1160585.JPG
    153.2 KB · Views: 118
  • P1160555.JPG
    P1160555.JPG
    135.8 KB · Views: 113
  • P1160539.JPG
    P1160539.JPG
    141.7 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:

deepanshuchg

Ambassador of Buzz
For how much did you get it? Any freebie? Any official offer by Lenovo? And please install some games/ benchmark software and post their result.
Have you faced any other issue as of now? How's the build quality of keyboard? And track pad?

OP
T

thinkdigit123

Broken In
continued..............

*s21.postimg.org/ik5mkiqjr/the_keyboard.jpg...the touchpad is too smooth. Its a bliss to use. The Apple-ish outlook of the touchpad is awesome. However, as of now, the touchpad gestures are not working. Gotta update Elan drivers, i guess.

*s21.postimg.org/drmmhlh47/stickers1.jpg... HD webcam, Premium Speakers, AccuType keyboard, One touch recovery! The stickers are simply kewl!!!

*s21.postimg.org/hazdfx52f/keyboard1.jpg...now to the keyboard... as everyone knows, Lenny keyboards are legendary! The AccuType keyboard is just too good. Personally, no complaints as of now. (just typed a few lines in notepad. :p :p )

*s21.postimg.org/4ip1l7xlz/the_power_up_key.jpg...The power up key looks beautiful

Now, this unseen feature seems great for me: the 3 new function buttons... F8 which does the job of tab switching (same as Alt+tab), F9 which does the job of switching off the screen lights (very useful!), F10 changes display monitor options, F4 closes the current app. Pic...*s21.postimg.org/48hj1vizr/new_additions.jpg

*s21.postimg.org/6gr45h0pz/power_management.jpg... the Energy Management app does the long battery life trick!

Attachments

• P1160564.JPG
    P1160564.JPG
    134.3 KB · Views: 171
  • stickers1.JPG
    stickers1.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 158
  • keyboard1.JPG
    keyboard1.JPG
    121 KB · Views: 145
  • the power up key.JPG
    the power up key.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 154
  • new additions.JPG
    new additions.JPG
    134.1 KB · Views: 166
  • power management.JPG
    power management.JPG
    139.2 KB · Views: 154
  • lenovo-ideapad-z5001.jpg
    lenovo-ideapad-z5001.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:

deepanshuchg

Ambassador of Buzz
For how much did you get it? Any freebie? Any official offer by Lenovo? And please install some games/ benchmark software and post their result.

And do check the DVD r/w if it is working properly ie if the button for opening is working smoothly as I read somewhere that old z500 had problems with it.

Hrishi

View attachment 11216...the touchpad is too smooth. Its a bliss to use. The Apple-ish outlook of the touchpad is awesome. However, as of now, the touchpad gestures are not working. Gotta update Elan drivers, i guess.

View attachment 11217... HD webcam, Premium Speakers, AccuType keyboard, One touch recovery! The stickers are simply kewl!!!

View attachment 11218...now to the keyboard... as everyone knows, Lenny keyboards are legendary! The AccuType keyboard is just too good. Personally, no complaints as of now. (just typed a few lines in notepad. :p :p )

The power up key looks beautiful... View attachment 11219

Now, this unseen feature seems great for me: the 3 new function buttons... F8 which does the job of tab switching (same as Alt+tab), F9 which does the job of switching off the screen lights (very useful!), F10 changes display monitor options, F4 closes the current app. Pic...View attachment 11220

View attachment 11221... the Energy Management app does the long battery life trick!

The silvery look and feel of this laptop. wow , I just wish I had the money to re-buy another laptop .
It feels premium in terms of finish.
Only reason , I didn't bought it last time was because of lack of a Quad-Core proccy.

SunE

Professional Newbie
Congrats brother. Sexy looking piece.

I sent an e-mail to flipkart today asking them for faster shipment. Next thing you know they ship it within two hours. Expecting to get it by Sunday(if the delivery guys are working this weekend) or by Monday(hopefully :p).

OP
T

thinkdigit123

Broken In
GPU-Z not responding when switching to GT 740m. And in the first run it caused my lappy to restart. :'( :'(
please suggest an alternative for GPU-Z

And i installed GRID 2. Awesome BUT there is a sound bug...sound is crackling.

Sorry @deepanshuchg... here's your answers...

Bought it for 48.0k but if u go to that same shopkeeper now he will sell it to you at 48.8k.... told me clearly. He agreed to the deal bcz i had taken my friend too & so he had a sale of 2 lappys, & hence the discount. :p

Freebies: keyboard guard, mouse, cleaning kit

Lenovo official offer: RS 2000 gift voucher on Z non-touch series. Read the detailed terms & conditions on first page.

GPU-Z screwed up, its a bug i guess. Suggest alternative app. Will download Unigine at night. GRID2 installed but buggy audio. Not yet installed FRAPS. :p

DVD drive working flawlessly.

Hrishi

GPU-Z not responding when switching to GT 740m. And in the first run it caused my lappy to restart. :'( :'(

Bought it for 48.0k but if u go to that same shopkeeper now he will sell it to you at 48.8k.... told me clearly. He agreed to the deal bcz i had taken my friend too & so he had a sale of 2 lappys, & hence the discount. :p

Lenovo official offer: RS 2000 gift voucher on Z non-touch series. Read the detailed terms & conditions on first page.

GPU-Z screwed up, its a bug i guess. Suggest alternative app. Will download Unigine at night. GRID2 installed but buggy audio. Not yet installed FRAPS. :p

Download Sis-Sandra tool , its approximately 59MB. It'll provide you with lots of information.
Download it from Filehippo.

deepanshuchg

Ambassador of Buzz

Do you have the original dvd of grid 2 or the pirated version?

joy1

Right off the assembly line
Just joined the forum to check out your pics thinkdigit123, first congratz mate on ur new lappy. I'm also gonna be buying this lappy very soon , but a lack of reviews from Indian owners was a little concern as there are no reviews on flipkart either.

Its sad to learn that there is no backlit keboard, which looked awesome to be honest on in the videos i have seen of the overseas version of Z500 and wrongly advertised by all online retailers be it flipkart or snapdeal etc..

I'm really dissapointed at the current gaming laptop market scene in India , even the top end gaming laptops like Y500 or alienware only give a mid range card like a 650M whereas overseas at the same price u can easily get a 670M or 680M in it. Kinda mae no sense to buy a laptop over desktop if gaming is a big priority but when portability is a factor you are pretty much helpless , but its sad to have such lacking specs for laptops over here in India. :p

Kindly put some more light on the heating aspects of this lappy , some benchmarks and heavy testing of games on Cry Engine 3 & FrostBite 3 engine games would help a lot.

Top Bottom