The Lenovo Ideapad Y510p Thread

udit247

Journeyman
udit247,

A cheap solution to improve performance, try readyboosting using a free SD Card in the 6-in-1 SD Card slot. I had a free 16GB SD card (Class 10) and allocated it completely for readyboosting. I notice significant difference in booting, hibernation and shut down times and minor difference in application loading times.
ReadyBoost - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Although I am very sure this has very minimal impact on improving gaming performance other than application load times.

Thanks for the tip, I will try this one out!

@^ yeah Sleeping Dogs will also work :D btw how much did it cost you? have u buyed locally or online? What things/accessories you got with this :)

Edit : One more Question what is the resolution of your screen? 1920x1080 or less?

I have already answered your question, please read my previous posts to clarify your confusion.

Guys i got my beast today! Loving every moment of it although didnt get enough time to play around. And yes i have got glossy screen with synaptics touchpad. :D..this laptop is just so good!:D

Congrats and all the best on your purchase.:)

Last edited:

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
Notice... :)
@all 510p owners...it is humbly requested to...please create a common thread in reviews section, post consolidated review on individual parts of the unit, with snaps if possible and state pros, cons or whichever concerns/praise you have over the same. Snaps should not bog down the thread itself so maintain a bandwidth conscious profile...also no blurry/dark snaps please.

Thread will be common where you guys can distribute amongst yourselves you're part of the review. Most importantly, benchmarking, i also highlighted earlier that there are very few benchmarks and FPS scores available for GT755M over WEB, so do consider it a chance to enrich this forum with precise and detailed benchmarks of the card which will help all in the longer run.

Pick tools and games which fits you best and scale DX11 scores, Graphics and Physics score. Pick latest titles, some GPU hogs , some middleweights...and decide a definite time-window over which to do benchmarking. Informative benchmarking can attract more interested members and help us all in active real-time performance measure.

Temps are real important, use GPU-Z, CPU-Z, HWmonitor, Real Temp to capture under load and idle...also if someone can perform the core boost for the 4700, and the GPU Boost 2.0 for the 755M, it would be icing on the cake.

you can use thread created by Shadow to follow and further...and please avoid redundant posts....
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/reviews/177374-lenovo-y510p-review.html

$hadow

Geek in making
Yes it will be really helpful if you could continue the benchmark and all on the review thread plus I will be updating the thread with the owners name so please all those who have purchased the y510p just pm me your name.

udit247

Journeyman
A piece of advice to all the proud owners of Lenovo Y510P:
Newer ever try to re-calibrate your battery using Lenovo Energy Management beacuse there were serious issues with this on Y500 & Y580 and it may be carried over to this model as well.
Link: *forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V...ING-AFTER-USING-LENOVO-S-BATTERY/td-p/1113853

udit247

Journeyman
I got my PC with only two partitions and I took the major step, I completely formatted my PC and recreated three partitions at my choice, installed windows 8.1 Single Language Edition and legally activated it using the key extracted from the BIOS and installed some good Lenovo apps from the Windows Store.

I have Synaptic with Glossy i guess. How to confirm glossy ? I feel it is glossy. :confused:

BTW,updated to 250GB SSD; It is superfast now.

installed windows 8.1 Single Language Edition and legally activated it using the key extracted from the BIOS and installed some good Lenovo apps from the Windows Store.

How to extract key from BIOS and activate the 8.1 ?
I have the pro preview version. Tried to activate using the key shown in Berlac Advisor software [extracted before reinstalling]. But it was not accepting. Now running 8.1 with water mark. :-(

Last edited:

udit247

Journeyman
I have Synaptic with Glossy i guess. How to confirm glossy ? I feel it is glossy. :confused:

BTW,updated to 250GB SSD; It is superfast now.

How to extract key from BIOS and activate the 8.1 ?
I have the pro preview version. Tried to activate using the key shown in Berlac Advisor software [extracted before reinstalling]. But it was not accepting. Now running 8.1 with water mark. :-(

How much SSD costed you?

Well you can use RW-Everything to get the serial (ACPI table tab>MSDM table tab), read here

Also note that you need to know your original Windows 8 SKU, mine was CoreSingleLanuage.

If its CoreSingleLanguage than use this RTM torrent, here
If its Core than any original MSDN ISO copy will work.

Install Windows using the mentioned installation key and when installed use your genuine key to activate it.
To insert key in Windows use this in CMD as Administrator: SLMGR /IPK XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

NOTE: You will loose all the apps and OneKey Restore in this process and have to set Other OS in BIOS than do factory defaults.
Also save or write on DVD the drivers for your PC which are in a drive with 25GB partition.

Anybody else who registered for the redemption offer and ADP , got theirs via email?

I have registered on 31/08 and today I got the E-voucher and purchased a 2 Year Ext. Warranty, Wireless Headphones and 2X2 Watt Speakers.

Last edited:

dr.manoj

Broken In
These might sound extremely noobish but I'd really like some help with a few things

1. How do I check whether my laptop has one 8GB ram or 2*4GB? I couldn't make much sense of the CPU-Z screen

2. My USB 3.0 memory stick is not giving the performance expected of it. File transfer speeds are extremely slow - on par or below USB 2.0 speeds. The stick itself is fine as it works on other laptops. How do I solve this issue? I vaguely recall an earlier discussion that re-installing drivers helped solve the issue, but I am unable to find said page(s) any more. Please help.. A step by step would greatly be appreciated

$hadow

Geek in making
How much SSD costed you?

Well you can use RW-Everything to get the serial (ACPI table tab>MSDM table tab), read here

Also note that you need to know your original Windows 8 SKU, mine was CoreSingleLanuage.

If its CoreSingleLanguage than use this RTM torrent, here
If its Core than any original MSDN ISO copy will work.

Install Windows using the mentioned installation key and when installed use your genuine key to activate it.
To insert key in Windows use this in CMD as Administrator: SLMGR /IPK XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

NOTE: You will loose all the apps and OneKey Restore in this process and have to set Other OS in BIOS than do factory defaults.
Also save or write on DVD the drivers for your PC which are in a drive with 25GB partition.

I have registered on 31/08 and today I got the E-voucher and purchased a 2 Year Ext. Warranty, Wireless Headphones and 2X2 Watt Speakers.

Darn man I got registered on 30th and no reply yet from lenovo.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
These might sound extremely noobish but I'd really like some help with a few things

1. How do I check whether my laptop has one 8GB ram or 2*4GB? I couldn't make much sense of the CPU-Z screen

2. My USB 3.0 memory stick is not giving the performance expected of it. File transfer speeds are extremely slow - on par or below USB 2.0 speeds. The stick itself is fine as it works on other laptops. How do I solve this issue? I vaguely recall an earlier discussion that re-installing drivers helped solve the issue, but I am unable to find said page(s) any more. Please help.. A step by step would greatly be appreciated

Look under SPD tab. It'll show Slot #1 & Slot #2. If your system has two modules, it will show info of both.

Download this USB 3.0 driver - *download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles/usb121w7.exe

The reason i asked was because if you resize partition the one key recovery function stops working. And one cant restore using one key recovery.

How is this possible? One key recovery has got no relation with partition management, just that you don't alter the recovery partition.

PS: You need to be on stock OS.

$hadow

Geek in making
Look under SPD tab. It'll show Slot #1 & Slot #2. If your system has two modules, it will show info of both.

Download this USB 3.0 driver - *download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles/usb121w7.exe

How is this possible? One key recovery has got no relation with partition management, just that you don't alter the recovery partition.

PS: You need to be on stock OS.

Now what is this stock os??

Top Bottom