The Lenovo Ideapad Y500 Thread

sanemate

Broken In
Yes it is. But I would rather go with both cards same, than combining a 650m with 750m, with 650m being the bottleneck for a small performance increase. Regarding the prices, they might go down if Lenovo doesnt scrap 650m ultrabay. From what I remember, Lenovo on its site was not selling 650m SLI by default. They might as well stop producing 650m ultrabay. I hope they dont fall much :p Though yes, if this stuff turns out to be crap, then I do hope they fall so that I can buy from official Lenovo site.

Isn't the 750m also ultrabay-compatible?
Plus, when a newer model comes out, the prices for the previous card/model/accessories go down, I hope it falls. :D
Anyway, keep us posted on the piece. :)

1. He sent me GN35 which is supposedly Y400 ultrabay. Disheartened.
2. Still tried, unlocked one latch (there are 2) and started pulling on DVD, the plastic shield came off :p Then I realised there were 2 latches. After that came off quite well. Might as well get a new DVD drive under ADP.
3. This GN35 fit in well ! laptop recognised and went in SLI mode. Windows graphics score went up to just 7.4 from 6.9 though. Need to run benchmarks.
4. battlefield 3, when I change graphics settings, when it asks if i am sure, when i click Yes, it hangs, and exits with some "graphics card removed" error. Asks me to reinstall drivers and all. tried ut still no luck. Have to figure it out.

In short, SLI was achieved, though buggy. I need to try some driver combinations it seems.

Last edited:

sanemate

Broken In
I mailed the seller and he said GN35 is fine. It fits perfectly. BF3 on all Ultra but AA off gives 45-49 fps.

Last edited:

techno_chrat

Broken In
I am getting the y500 for 68k here in pune..It has a 2year(ADP) warranty..the make is April 2013..would i get a better price? can someone direct me to a retailer?

Last edited:

prateekS

Right off the assembly line
68k is too much of a price to pay , if u aint buying online...

@Others Hi , im new to this forum ....how is the GN35 running ?

techno_chrat

Broken In
Just show him fk y500 since fk is giving 5% disc making y500 for 65980 with cc extra charge included in this amt.
i did play the fk card and told him..he kept pointing on the 1 yr warranty and was adamant that tax(LBT ,only levied in maharashtra ) is added at the end of the invoice..this is a exclusive lenovo showroom..u think he's taking me for a ride?

entrana

M$™ Certified Spammer
guys im thinking about going for this laptop. i just want to know if the touchpad issues really do get fixed and how will i know the manufacturing date before buying the laptop at a local store

also wondering about the battery life of this while watching videos and wifi
i also saw that optimus is disabled or not there is this true?

Last edited:

$hadow

Geek in making
i did play the fk card and told him..he kept pointing on the 1 yr warranty and was adamant that tax(LBT ,only levied in maharashtra ) is added at the end of the invoice..this is a exclusive lenovo showroom..u think he's taking me for a ride?

Then why dont you buy from fk

Harsh23

Broken In
Hey guys i'm new to this forum i checked at a dealer and he is selling the y500 at rs 65500 in bhopal.
Do you think this is a good deal should i go for it or not ?

$hadow

Geek in making
Hey guys i'm new to this forum i checked at a dealer and he is selling the y500 at rs 65500 in bhopal.
Do you think this is a good deal should i go for it or not ?

Eyes closes and get the deal as soon as possible.

sanemate

Broken In
GN35 is working great. As I said, BF3 at Ultra with AA off gives 40-49 FPS. Though I am still to tweak driver settings. When I start the game, one in 5 times it crashes in the beginning itself. I just alt-F4 then and try again, in 3 tries it runs. Once it runs, it doesnt crash. I am not getting time to tweak it. But I aint complaining as it crashes in the beginning only, so no time waste :p Will try other games too.

prateekS

Right off the assembly line
GN35 is working great. As I said, BF3 at Ultra with AA off gives 40-49 FPS. Though I am still to tweak driver settings. When I start the game, one in 5 times it crashes in the beginning itself. I just alt-F4 then and try again, in 3 tries it runs. Once it runs, it doesnt crash. I am not getting time to tweak it. But I aint complaining as it crashes in the beginning only, so no time waste :p Will try other games too.

I contact the mini-laptop guys and he said GN36 is in stock...and he will send via DHL , where are you located and how was it sent (courier, which one ? ) , how come no duty ?

Is it worth paying 280$ for ?

sanemate

Broken In
I contact the mini-laptop guys and he said GN36 is in stock...and he will send via DHL , where are you located and how was it sent (courier, which one ? ) , how come no duty ?

Is it worth paying 280$ for ?

See, according to Lenovo, GN35 and GN36 both are same. It wouldnt have fit in my system otherwise. Both have the same gfx cards. The seller might be saying GN36 but might send GN35. I can only say thats not a problem. No customs cause he sent is as "Gift" and in the invoice, he gave value 50$. There is no customs for such a low amount. Illegal basically :p But thats how he sends. he sent it by DHL to me, got delivered in 4 days. I had read some bad reviews, like shipping different model batteries and all, so was not too sure. Then thought what mistake can he do in sending an Ultrabay, so gave it a try.

Regarding being worth it, you need to think about that. SLI drivers are still not fully mature and as I said, you will get some crashes. If you are ready to take the trouble, might as well buy it. Can try bargaining too. It was listed at 300$, I mailed him and got it down to 272. If you dont game much, dont get it. I havent gamed a lot too ever since buyin, but when I am back to college, I will. :)

Top Bottom