The Lenovo Ideapad Y500 Thread

entrana

M$™ Certified Spammer
^^ Will check if I am able to get a live demo somewhere. :)
Btw, does it reflect under direct tubelight? I mean with the tubelight right behind you? :-?

ill be honest, tubelights are on top of the room not in between the floor and ceiling lol. at that height there is no tubelight reflection. if you raise the laptop to a crazy level which noone uses at then you will see the tubelight reflection. in all practical cases there isnt. right next to me is a 19 inch matte display which looks dull as hell and honestly if youre gonna nitpick about a tubelight reflection that isnt ther over picture quality, you deserve a matte...

point is theres a reason why there are different displays for different uses. theres a reason why macbooks use glossy displays. its because of the excellent picture quality. unless you NEED TO use it in the sunlight or for some reason find it necessary to aim your tubelight at the screen, then glossy display ftw

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
ill be honest, tubelights are on top of the room not in between the floor and ceiling lol. at that height there is no tubelight reflection. if you raise the laptop to a crazy level which noone uses at then you will see the tubelight reflection. in all practical cases there isnt. right next to me is a 19 inch matte display which looks dull as hell and honestly if youre gonna nitpick about a tubelight reflection that isnt ther over picture quality, you deserve a matte...

point is theres a reason why there are different displays for different uses. theres a reason why macbooks use glossy displays. its because of the excellent picture quality. unless you NEED TO use it in the sunlight or for some reason find it necessary to aim your tubelight at the screen, then glossy display ftw

I can't help it, can I, if the engineers who made my hostel room were drug junkies!!! :-D
Okay, just tell me one thing, anyone...
Is the display less reflective than a HP Pavilion G6??? :-?

I don't think so....... all glossy displays will reflect same amount of light....... What's the problem with your room ? Sunlight from behind you ? Just change sitting position. In my room, where I sit, sunlight comes from left side......bit of trouble though....but incresing brightness n adjusting screen angle solves the problem

Harsh23

Broken In
Guys I Want some advice..:razz:
I can't wait anymore,i've waited a long time for the launch of 750m:meditate:
I will use the lappy for gaming,watching movies and surfing..:pacman:
My Current Options are
1. Y500 650m
2. Y500 750m
3. Sammy 5 Series
4. Hp Pavilion
Correct me if i'm wrong also give your opinions..:)

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
My Current Options are
1. Y500 650m
2. Y500 750m
3. Sammy 5 Series
4. Hp Pavilion
Yeah, I too think you should go with Y500 with GT650m...
Btw, guys what about me???
Y500 or Y510p??? I really want to buy the Y510p... Don't know why... But, still international shopping bothers me... Could you guys share your experiences with international shopping??? And, also what adapter would I need to use the Y510p in India???:)

entrana

M$™ Certified Spammer
Yeah, I too think you should go with Y500 with GT650m...
Btw, guys what about me???
Y500 or Y510p??? I really want to buy the Y510p... Don't know why... But, still international shopping bothers me... Could you guys share your experiences with international shopping??? And, also what adapter would I need to use the Y510p in India???:)

to answer your earlier question, if you had problems with your old laptop then most probably you will have problems with this laptop the same way, the reflections that is. increasing brightness reduces the effect but it would still be there. how low are your damn tubelights man even if there are 10 tubelights in my room i dont think i would ever be sitting in a position where they would reflect on my screen, specially in hostel... also its not like matte screens are impervious to reflection. the tubelight in my living room reflects off my led tv which is matte and it is indeed quite annoying.

as for international shopping if i were you i wouldnt risk it, because your forget its lenovo and you will not be getting warranty. while the y510p seems awesome if anything goes wrong dont look at india to fix it. and it will go wrong sooner or later dont you worry about that. it is too risky for a 70k machines its not some cheap mobile or anything. if youre gambling for the 1080p screen only or the haswell you should wait for a while till other brands release newer products or the y510p is launched in india which it might be when haswell starts rolling out in india. the adapter would be the same as all adapters are 100-240v though you may need to use a pin converter as usa uses flat pins instead of round ones in india.

My Current Options are
1. Y500 650m
2. Y500 750m
3. Sammy 5 Series
4. Hp Pavilion
i second the y500 650m asap if you can find it, which you should start looking for now since its rarer than gold

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
to answer your earlier question, if you had problems with your old laptop then most probably you will have problems with this laptop the same way, the reflections that is. increasing brightness reduces the effect but it would still be there. how low are your damn tubelights man even if there are 10 tubelights in my room i dont think i would ever be sitting in a position where they would reflect on my screen, specially in hostel... also its not like matte screens are impervious to reflection. the tubelight in my living room reflects off my led tv which is matte and it is indeed quite annoying.

as for international shopping if i were you i wouldnt risk it, because your forget its lenovo and you will not be getting warranty. while the y510p seems awesome if anything goes wrong dont look at india to fix it. and it will go wrong sooner or later dont you worry about that. it is too risky for a 70k machines its not some cheap mobile or anything. if youre gambling for the 1080p screen only or the haswell you should wait for a while till other brands release newer products or the y510p is launched in india which it might be when haswell starts rolling out in india. the adapter would be the same as all adapters are 100-240v though you may need to use a pin converter as usa uses flat pins instead of round ones in india.
*i.imgur.com/CqQkPJM.png
Untitled.png
My hostel room is something like that... And, the lights in the hallway are superbright!!! :evil: Can't switch them off too due to hostel rules...
Man, am confused... I really wanted the y510p...
It had everything that I wanted...
FUllHD matte display, GT 750m, haswell processor, synaptics touchpad...
Just no warranty here, right??? :cry: I thought laptops used to have internatiomnal warranty...
Btw, do the guys who bought Asus G75 or something (The gaming laptops) have warranty here in India???:-?

Last edited:

Harsh23

Broken In
*i.imgur.com/CqQkPJM.png
View attachment 10922
My hostel room is something like that... And, the lights in the hallway are superbright!!! :evil: Can't switch them off too due to hostel rules...
Man, am confused... I really wanted the y510p...
It had everything that I wanted...
FUllHD matte display, GT 750m, haswell processor, synaptics touchpad...
Just no warranty here, right??? :cry: I thought laptops used to have internatiomnal warranty...
Btw, do the guys who bought Asus G75 or something (The gaming laptops) have warranty here in India???:-?

Since the y510p is not launched in india they won't be able to provide warranty ...

HeRock

Broken In
anybody got their shipment???...or you just saying like that???.....synaptics touch pad was obvious but 720p is definitely not good news.....anyways what's the source of your information???
Hey you can check at Eastern Logica Infoway at GC Avenue for the older model... I checked on last Wednesday, and they had the older version till then.

entrana

M$™ Certified Spammer
Hey you can check at Eastern Logica Infoway at GC Avenue for the older model... I checked on last Wednesday, and they had the older version till then.

theres like 200 shops in gc avenue. if you want to find it you need to search there must be at least one somewhere there and start searching now.

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
Everytime I read, everyone is cancelling their shipment from Flipkart!!! :cry: Both here and on the Fb page...
Did anyone receive the laptop from Flipkart??? :-?

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
Hey, guys... Good news... Looks like the old model is back in stock in flipkart!!!
Lenovo Ideapad Y500 (59-346619):
Lenovo Ideapad Y500 (59-346619) Laptop (3rd Gen Ci7/ 8GB/ 1TB/ Win8/ 2GB Graph) - Lenovo: Flipkart.com
Lenovo Ideapad Y500 (59-379647):
Lenovo Ideapad Y500 (59-379647) Laptop (3rd Gen Ci7/ 8GB/ 1TB/ Win8/ 2GB Graph) - Lenovo: Flipkart.com
The old model even has 1 year additional ADP!!! :-D

deadzone

Journeyman
Hello everyone,

I have confirmed from flipkart that the new model is HD 720p. Asked them to change the specifications on site as well.

Those who are keen on getting FHD , then Get the old model from flipkart.

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
Flipkart changed their description...
Lenovo Ideapad Y500 (59-379647) comes with a 1366x768 resolution screen... What a bummer!!! :evil:

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
So what have you decided ? :)

The new model is not worth 68k.......

I was thinking about the y510p model from ibhejo.com but you asked me not to buy from them, but instead from borderlinx.com...
I would like to know why and what are the advantages of both websites??? :)

Top Bottom