The Lenovo Ideapad Y500 Thread

can sum1 help me decide??? since dis is nt coming wid full hd display i hv to consider oder options....i'll be using it primarily for watching movies,surfing net nd at times playing games (im nt a hardcore gamer...but wen i play i wanna play nice graphic stuff).... im getting d following options-
1. a dell model - it has evrything as in y500, full HD, but NO backlit keyboard
2. samsung 550p - evrthing of y500, 1600x900 res , NO backlit keyboard
3. sony S series - FULL HD, Backlit Keyboard, oder specs almost same wid minor compromises,damn poor speakers
(but i heard sony has very poor after sales services)
Not considering HP since No full HD or backlit keyboard or speakers

Basically what is holding me back from getting ny oder lappy is d really cool looking red backlit keyboard in y500....but d absence of full HD has really made me upset:cry:...plz guys help me decide.....i'll b going 2morow to gt my lappy...

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
^^ Hey, link the Sony S Series...
Am thinking about buying this too:
Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p Laptop (2.40GHz 1600MHz 6MB, 8 GB, 1 TB, Windows 8 64 bit) - Black | iBhejo.com
What do you guys say?

entrana

M$™ Certified Spammer
can sum1 help me decide??? since dis is nt coming wid full hd display i hv to consider oder options....i'll be using it primarily for watching movies,surfing net nd at times playing games (im nt a hardcore gamer...but wen i play i wanna play nice graphic stuff).... im getting d following options-
1. a dell model - it has evrything as in y500, full HD, but NO backlit keyboard
2. samsung 550p - evrthing of y500, 1600x900 res , NO backlit keyboard
3. sony S series - FULL HD, Backlit Keyboard, oder specs almost same wid minor compromises,damn poor speakers
(but i heard sony has very poor after sales services)
Not considering HP since No full HD or backlit keyboard or speakers

Basically what is holding me back from getting ny oder lappy is d really cool looking red backlit keyboard in y500....but d absence of full HD has really made me upset:cry:...plz guys help me decide.....i'll b going 2morow to gt my lappy...

1) which dell model are you referring to the 17 inch model?
2) dont take sony

overall i would recommend the samsung even going past its heating issues. its not too expensive either. a 1600x900 screen is also quite good.

1) which dell model are you referring to the 17 inch model?

overall i would recommend the samsung even going past its heating issues. its not too expensive either. a 1600x900 screen is also quite good.

no its d 15r turbo series...
do u think i shud compromise d red backlit of y500 nd full hd of dell???

money is nt an issue...i jus want gud stuff....so dat all my requirements r fulfilled

entrana

M$™ Certified Spammer
no its d 15r turbo series...
do u think i shud compromise d red backlit of y500 nd full hd of dell???
1) the graphics card of the 15r model of dell is below 640m, not suitable for hd gaming anyhow, just suited for 1366x768 that too not as good as the amd card is not as optimized ( friend has it )
2)full hd is a marketing gimmick barely makes a difference 1600x900 and 1080p. lol i dont undertand why idiotic companies are making 1080p mobile displays now its too ridiculous. human eyes cannot differentiate after a point and the spec requirement goes highly up. anyways the backlit is not that useful really its just for looks mostly.
go for the samsung. easy on the wallet and excellent performance.

Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p Laptop (2.40GHz 1600MHz 6MB, 8 GB, 1 TB, Windows 8 64 bit) - Black | iBhejo.com
What do you guys say?

its imported so no warranty? otherwise seems excellent

What do you guys say?
i don hv d link...google it....went to a store yesterday....dey explained frm d pamphlet
nd fr d y510p...whr does it say full hd???

1)
2)full hd is a marketing gimmick barely makes a difference 1600x900 and 1080p. lol i dont undertand why idiotic companies are making 1080p mobile displays now its too ridiculous. human eyes cannot differentiate after a point and the spec requirement goes highly up. anyways the backlit is not that useful really its just for looks mostly.
go for the samsung. easy on the wallet and excellent performance.

1366x768 is also of d same ratio 16:9 right???
is 133x768 really dat bad...i mean wudnt it suit my purpose???

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
i don hv d link...google it....went to a store yesterday....dey explained frm d pamphlet
nd fr d y510p...whr does it say full hd???

Damn. Yeah, hadn't noticed that. Am more confused now.
My choices are:
1. Lenovo Ideapad Y500 (Old model with FullHD) locally.
2. Lenovo Ideapad Y500 (New model, possibly without FullHD) from Flipkart.
3. Lenovo Ideapad Y510p from US (ibhejo.com). (With haswell but unsure about screen resolution. Also anti-glare display).
What do you guys suggest?:huh?:

Damn. Yeah, hadn't noticed that. Am more confused now.
My choices are:
1. Lenovo Ideapad Y500 (Old model with FullHD) locally.
2. Lenovo Ideapad Y500 (New model, possibly without FullHD) from Flipkart.
3. Lenovo Ideapad Y510p from US (ibhejo.com). (With haswell but unsure about screen resolution. Also anti-glare display).
What do you guys suggest?:huh?:

y500 old model...its jus so obvious...
nw can ppl help me out????

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
y500 old model...its jus so obvious...
nw can ppl help me out????
Hmmm. Let me just wait for a couple of days.
Yeah, 1366x768 has an aspect ratio of 16:9.
But, where it differs from Full HD or HD+(1600x900) screen is in sharpness. It will have less sharpness due to lesser PPI. Whether that will be noticeable or a hindrance to you is just gonna be based on your personal test. :)
We have a FullHD 47" TV at home but my mom still prefers watching a local NE news channel whose picture quality is not at all sharp just cause she can view the headlines from far without having to reach for her specs. :)

vkl

Cyborg Agent
geekindisguise
Stop using SMS lingo.How many times would one have to remind you that?
Go through this:*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/rules-announcements/147454-forum-rules-updated-january-26-2012-a.html

@geekindisguise
So, what have you decided?:)

i guess i'll just go with y500 750m...beacause for me that cool red backlit keyboard is too much to compromise....because when you are sitting in a room with your friends what will catch their attention is the backlit keyboard....not some minor changes in specs....not many people have a red backlit keyboard...
as for movies....i mostly watch 720p videos....for which this is sufficient.....
gaming....i think i'll be able to play almost every game at high to ultra settings with this resolution and graphic card....
im just a bit worried about surfing....i hope its not hopeless on this resolution???

@vkl - are you satisfied with the lingo now???

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
^^ Don't worry. Surfing ain't hopeless at this resolution. Have been surfing at this resolution for the last 7-8 years, along with maybe 99% of India.:)
P.S.: Don't anger the mods. And, yeah, this lingo is better than the previous one. Its more legible.:)

^^ Don't worry. Surfing ain't hopeless at this resolution. Have been surfing at this resolution for the last 7-8 years, along with maybe 99% of India.:)

The only sad part is, that after such a long wait of getting the right product....in the end you just HAVE to compromise:cry:....would never again depend on a lenovo product

vkl

Cyborg Agent
i guess i'll just go with y500 750m...beacause for me that cool red backlit keyboard is too much to compromise....because when you are sitting in a room with your friends what will catch their attention is the backlit keyboard....not some minor changes in specs....not many people have a red backlit keyboard...
as for movies....i mostly watch 720p videos....for which this is sufficient.....
gaming....i think i'll be able to play almost every game at high to ultra settings with this resolution and graphic card....
im just a bit worried about surfing....i hope its not hopeless on this resolution???

@vkl - are you satisfied with the lingo now???

Mate,SMS lingo though is convenient to type but is not convenient to read and especially for those who don't understand it well.Now it's fine.

If you can find a FHD model with gt650m and that GPU is fine with you then go with it or if you are fine with 1366*768 then y500 with gt750m seems as a good option for now.
Or if you can wait then you may see some new line-ups from different manufacturers most probably with better specifications especially the display.

Mate,SMS lingo though is convenient to type but is not convenient to read and especially for those who don't understand it well.Now it's fine.

If you can find a FHD model with gt650m and that GPU is fine with you then go with it or if you are fine with 1366*768 then y500 with gt750m seems as a good option for now.
Or if you can wait then you may see some new line-ups from different manufacturers most probably with better specifications especially the display.

thanks for the reply...i'll give it a second thought...

Top Bottom