the HP dv6-6017tx, 6121tx, 6140tx and dv6-6165tx thread

Dr. House

No Regrets
Any idea where I can get SSD caddy in place of DVD drive.

- - - Updated - - -

Is this compatible? S72 SATA 2nd SSD HDD Hard Drive Caddy For 12.7mm Universal CD/DVD ROM Optical Bay-in HDD Enclosure from Computer & Office on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

swiftshashi

Beta Geek ;-)
Any idea where I can get SSD caddy in place of DVD drive.

- - - Updated - - -

Is this compatible? S72 SATA 2nd SSD HDD Hard Drive Caddy For 12.7mm Universal CD/DVD ROM Optical Bay-in HDD Enclosure from Computer & Office on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Yes, any 12.7mm caddy will sufice
I got this one on my DV6
Sata 2nd HDD HD Hard Driver Caddy FOR 12 7mm Universal CD DVD ROM Optical BAY | eBay

Dr. House

No Regrets
Yes, any 12.7mm caddy will sufice
I got this one on my DV6
Sata 2nd HDD HD Hard Driver Caddy FOR 12 7mm Universal CD DVD ROM Optical BAY | eBay

What about cables and SSD compatibility? Should I buy 3Gbps or 6Gbps? Is our laptop Sata 3 compatible or not?

- - - Updated - - -

Samsung 256 GB SSD | eBay
This 3.0 Gbps 256GB used SSD costs only 3,321 INR.

&

Samsung 256 GB SSD 6 GBPS Speed Solid State Drive NEW Price 11500 | eBay
This 6.0 Gbps costs 3,958.50 INR with a coupon.

abhiflares

Right off the assembly line
What about cables and SSD compatibility? Should I buy 3Gbps or 6Gbps? Is our laptop Sata 3 compatible or not?

- - - Updated - - -

Samsung 256 GB SSD | eBay
This 3.0 Gbps 256GB used SSD costs only 3,321 INR.

&

Samsung 256 GB SSD 6 GBPS Speed Solid State Drive NEW Price 11500 | eBay
This 6.0 Gbps costs 3,958.50 INR with a coupon.

DO NOT BUY A USED SSD, now you may ask why
the SSD by itself might not be broken , because it has no moving parts so you can even drop it and it will work, however a SSD have limited write cycles(you can only write on it a limited number of times) after which its only good for use as a paper weight.
Now seriously buying a used SSD, where you have no idea how much it is used is basically just throwing away the money.
Don't do it.

If you cannot afford a big size one, get a small sized one, for your basic needs(windows, some programs), even a 60 gb version will suffice, but do get a new one.

Last edited:

Dr. House

No Regrets
DO NOT BUY A USED SSD, now you may ask why
the SSD by itself might not be broken , because it has no moving parts so you can even drop it and it will work, however a SSD have limited write cycles(you can only write on it a limited number of times) after which its only good for use as a paper weight.
Now seriously buying a used SSD, where you have no idea how much it is used is basically just throwing away the money.
Don't do it.

If you cannot afford a big size one, get a small sized one, for your basic needs(windows, some programs), even a 60 gb version will suffice, but do get a new one.

If SSDs have limited write cycles so why apple is only using SSDs? If it is worse than HDD in terms of cycling.

abhiflares

If SSDs have limited write cycles so why apple is only using SSDs? If it is worse than HDD in terms of cycling.

Apple is not a good example, everyone knows that.
Their PC/Laptop hardware costs half the price they ask for it, everyone knows that too.
Besides If you SSD fails, You WILL have to go to Apple to get it replaced and probably end up buying an SSD from them LOL
But really just do a google search, SSD's have unlimited Read Cycles, but write cycles are worse than normal HDD, on the other hand no moving Parts :3
Besides even Apple wouldn't put a used SSD in their laptops.
I'll just say it again, SSD's arent really good for storage, what they are good for is faster loading times on the OS and Softwares and Games, get a new SSD, you get the Warranty, you don't have to worry if it will fail anytime, there' a lot of positives and you probably wouldnt even need more than 60 gb for your windows+programs.
It's always good to get used Ram/Processors/Motherboards/GraphicsCards, those things run for ages, but HDD eh D:
Then again your money :D
SSD limited number of writes [Solved] - SSD - Storage

Last edited:

Chinmay91

Insomniac
Hi guys,

Please help in fixing my laptop. Yesterday, all of a sudden the AMD Graphics card started behaving weirdly. The installed version was Catalyst 12.10 and the OS is Windows 7 x64 Ultimate.
I removed the power cord, the screen went blank and the fan started spinning loudly. I forced shut down by long pressing the power down. When powered on, the screen goes black after the "Starting Windows" animation.

I have tried the following troubleshooting techniques:

1. Boot in safe mode - works fine
2. Sometimes it boots up normally, sometimes it hangs while booting, the fan is always running at high speed.
3. I have tried uninstalling Catalyst 12.10 and installing the default ATI video drivers that came with the laptop. This didn't solve the problem.
4. Also used Driver Fusion and uninstalled all video drivers and installed SP55092.exe (Catalyst 11.x version) from the dv6-6121tx drivers website. This didn't fix the problem.
5. I formatted and reinstalled Windows 7 and tried installing the default ATI drivers. The problem is still there.
6. Uninstalled AMD drivers and installed Intel HD Graphics 3000 drivers from Intel's website directly, this solved the problem - indicating that there is something wrong with the AMD GPU??
7. At the moment, I am able to perform all operations on Intel's GPU, however the fan is loud and constantly running at high speed. Is this something to be worried about? Any opinions regarding the AMD GPU problem?

P.S. I have tried changing the "Fan Always On" setting in BIOS, but this didn't work.

Note: This laptop is out of warranty (and out of country too) and I am waiting for Black Friday Sale to buy a new one. SO, a temporary fix to solve the high fan noise issue would be enough.

Thanks and Regards,
Chinmay

sarthak

In the zone
5. I formatted and reinstalled Windows 7 and tried installing the default ATI drivers. The problem is still there.

I'd say it's a hardware issue as the format didn't fix it. Try cleaning the dust out of your laptop, that's pretty much the only thing you can do.

- - - Updated - - -

Guys please suggest the latest graphics driver that I can use on Windows 7. Also do I need to upgrade Windows to play newer games, including GTA 5 ?

Prongs298

In the zone
I'd say it's a hardware issue as the format didn't fix it. Try cleaning the dust out of your laptop, that's pretty much the only thing you can do.

- - - Updated - - -

Guys please suggest the latest graphics driver that I can use on Windows 7. Also do I need to upgrade Windows to play newer games, including GTA 5 ?

use 14.4 unifl ver 2.4 by leshcatlabs -
*www.digit.in/forum/laptops-netbook...v6-6165tx-thread-post2191766.html#post2191766

no you don't need to upgrade windows. but if you do decide on it, i would still suggest the latest version of the unifl drivers from leshcatlabs.

and i use 14.4 v2.4 as that is the last one to support fixed mode. if you do not us fixed mode, and are on dynamic switching, you can also use later versions. but 14.4 v2.4 is very stable and i over-clock my card to 850c/900m. the temps stay at 85C max. the i7 at 1.7ghz maxes out at 87C.

Last edited:
Please share the original charger part# for HP 6121tx as I need to buy one bcoz my charger is heating up too much and also making noise.
I have lost the label of my charger.

Any other suggestions are welcome. Also let me know form where to buy online or in PUNE.

utcoolguy

Hi guys,

Please help in fixing my laptop. Yesterday, all of a sudden the AMD Graphics card started behaving weirdly. The installed version was Catalyst 12.10 and the OS is Windows 7 x64 Ultimate.
I removed the power cord, the screen went blank and the fan started spinning loudly. I forced shut down by long pressing the power down. When powered on, the screen goes black after the "Starting Windows" animation.

I have tried the following troubleshooting techniques:

1. Boot in safe mode - works fine
2. Sometimes it boots up normally, sometimes it hangs while booting, the fan is always running at high speed.
3. I have tried uninstalling Catalyst 12.10 and installing the default ATI video drivers that came with the laptop. This didn't solve the problem.
4. Also used Driver Fusion and uninstalled all video drivers and installed SP55092.exe (Catalyst 11.x version) from the dv6-6121tx drivers website. This didn't fix the problem.
6. Uninstalled AMD drivers and installed Intel HD Graphics 3000 drivers from Intel's website directly, this solved the problem - indicating that there is something wrong with the AMD GPU??
7. At the moment, I am able to perform all operations on Intel's GPU, however the fan is loud and constantly running at high speed. Is this something to be worried about? Any opinions regarding the AMD GPU problem?

P.S. I have tried changing the "Fan Always On" setting in BIOS, but this didn't work.

Note: This laptop is out of warranty (and out of country too) and I am waiting for Black Friday Sale to buy a new one. SO, a temporary fix to solve the high fan noise issue would be enough.

Thanks and Regards,
Chinmay

Hey any update on the issue you faced. i'm having the same thing and am using the laptop with out the amd drivers. however the cpu temp is quite height almost all the time. An solutions is most welcome

rikkuartz

Broken In
I am using Windows 10 now, and i cant seem to find a proper working AMD driver. Tried AMD site driver, Microsoft supplied driver, unifl, nothing seems to be working for me.

Can you guys suggest a driver which works best for Win10.

Dr. House

No Regrets
[URGENT] My hp dv6 6165tx is showing Error 90B in BIOS that means fan is not working but when I turn on windows I can feel fan is running but at very slow speed so after an hour of so it gets heat up very badly and I need to turn it off.

[UPDATE] PROBLEM SOLVED, clean the dust inside.

Last edited:

Dr. House

No Regrets
Hello! I bought my hp pavilion dv6-6165tx in the end of 2011 and now I want to speed up the laptop by putting an 120-128GB SSD as primary C drive and the old HDD in dvd drive caddy.
My budget is Rs. 4000 for both SSD+caddy.

I have sorted this 12.7mm cadddy Storite 12 7mm Universal Sata 2nd HDD SSD HD Caddy FOR CD DVD ROM Optical BAY | eBay that is costing me Rs. 500 after coupon code.
Is it compatible with laptop or not?

Now for the SSD I have no clue which one will be compatible with my laptop. Does my laptop supports SATA 3.0 SSDs or not?
Suggest me some good ~128GB SSD for around Rs. 3500.
Sandisk 120 GB Internal SSD Plus 2 5 Inch | eBay
Samsung 120GB 750 EVO 2 5" SSD | eBay
Sandisk 128GB SSD Harddisk SD8SBAT 128G Aphrodite II Z400S 2 5 | eBay

Dr. House

No Regrets
I have been using a 256 GB Samsung EVO since 2013, for my DV6 6121TX which is identical to your model. No issues.

Thanks! Should I purchase 850 EVO 120 GB as it has both writing and reading speed of 500 MB/s? Would my laptop able to take advantage of SATA III speed in the main HDD slot?

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Thanks! Should I purchase 850 EVO 120 GB as it has both writing and reading speed of 500 MB/s? Would my laptop able to take advantage of SATA III speed in the main HDD slot?

Yes definitely your laptop would become faster.

Even Kingston UV 300 120GB also has faster read and write speeds at a cheaper price but Samsung is the market leader in consumer SSD's.

Top Bottom