the HP dv6-6017tx, 6121tx, 6140tx and dv6-6165tx thread

Prongs298

In the zone
can i use this ram stick for my dv6121tx - Corsair DDR3 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) Laptop RAM (CMSO8GX3M1A1333C9) - Corsair: Flipkart.com

vgr

Broken In
has anyone tried tried to play saints row 4 yet? It keeps freezing after I select a new campaign and the difficulty level!! :(

soumyaxyz

Broken In
My Hp dv6165 's 750 GB 5200rpm HD died (303 error). [leave ur thoughtsthoughts on this (Can hard drives be damaged by some malware?) thread ].
Anyway I went to hp service center (no guarantee cover) the lady who inspected it advised me to get it replaced from outside . She said it wud cost round 12k from hp service center where as i should get it aleast 3k cheaper outside.
today i called Eastern logica Infoway to ask 4 the price they dont have 750 GB but they quoted 1 TB 5200rpm 9mm HD 4.2k .

I am wondering why such a mismatch of price exists?

on a related note why is boot from live usb drive failing ?

Prongs298

In the zone
i figured out how to re-enable coolsense!:razz: you go to hp recovery manager. under "i need immediate help" section click on "Drivers and application reinstall". in the list select "hp coolsense" and "hp support assistant". (the SA may appear twice in the list, tick both).
this got the coolsense back and now i am back in the coolest mode and temps below 45 c.

Last edited:

praveen786

Tech Master
Friends i have purchased an hp pavilion dv6 6165tx in november last year but unfortunately the laptop is fallen in water and also damaged. the laptop was completely submerged in water. laptop is not working. Now as my laptop is under adp what should i do and plz tell how to deal with hp executives..
immediate rly needed....

swiftshashi

Beta Geek ;-)
I own a DV6 6121tx and the only bottleneck I found was its HDD.
I also contemplated buying a new Envy 15 ( Yeah,I'm a HP FanBoy,and HP's have served me awesomely till date),but it also came with a 5400 rpm drive.
So,with Budget fixed at around 12k(Max),I have the following questions in mind
1.SSD or Hybrid HDD like Seagate Momentus XT??How is this- Seagate Solid State Hybrid Drive 9.5 mm thickness 1 TB Laptop Internal Hard Drive (ST1000LM014) - Seagate: Flipkart.com
2.If SSD,what should be its ideal size??256GB or a 128GB one??
3.Any good VFM SSD recommendations??

Please reply ASAP,
Thanks

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Space requirements appy on a per person basis, so its upto you to decide if you are fine with 128GB or you want 256GB.

Remember that a W7 installation takes up about 20GB and the 128GB disks have something like 120GB usable. And as a laptop user who has a decent graphics card, I hbelieve you are going to install games on it. Would 80GB suffice for all you games and programs ?

If yes go for the 128GB version. If not go higher. The same applies to hybrid drives - how much of SSD memory do they provide ?

EDIT: Just saw that the drive you mentioned is one of those pseudo-drives that keep mum about the amount of SSD memory they have. You'll be better served by a regular SSD.

Last edited:

swiftshashi

Beta Geek ;-)
Thanks....Any particular suggestion for a SSD within 10k?? I saw a particular Sammy SSD with 250 GB for 11k..... Any Special Specs we need to look out for while purchasing SSD??

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
I am not very knowledgeable in this department. I have just heard good things about the Corsair series and the Samsung ones. Look for (M)ean (T)ime (B)etween (F)ailure or the read/write cycles before failure numbers if they are availbale, but I think they dont quote them...

aniket.cain

Padawan
I swapped my HDD with an SSD more than a year ago. Then in removed my CD drive and replaced it with a Caddy which holds the HDD. I use the SSD for running windows and apps, and the HDD for storing other media and stuff.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
I swapped my HDD with an SSD more than a year ago. Then in removed my CD drive and replaced it with a Caddy which holds the HDD. I use the SSD for running windows and apps, and the HDD for storing other media and stuff.

Where did you get the "caddy" from. DO you have a link or something?
I have the 3016tx, which I beleive uses the exact same CD ROM...

aniket.cain

Padawan
Where did you get the "caddy" from. DO you have a link or something?
I have the 3016tx, which I beleive uses the exact same CD ROM...

I had bought this one then :

JacobsParts SATA 2nd HDD Hard Drive Caddy for 12.7mm Universal CD / DVD-R-NGJ | eBay

However, the below should also work.
Universal 12mm Laptop Optical Bay Hard Disk Caddy | eBay

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
I had bought this one then :

JacobsParts SATA 2nd HDD Hard Drive Caddy for 12.7mm Universal CD / DVD-R-NGJ | eBay

However, the below should also work.
Universal 12mm Laptop Optical Bay Hard Disk Caddy | eBay

What happens to the edge thats towards the outside ?
Do I have to forever live with a black flat band or is there some way I can fit the curved edge from the Optical drive so that the Laptop looks just like the original ?

aniket.cain

Padawan
What happens to the edge thats towards the outside ?
Do I have to forever live with a black flat band or is there some way I can fit the curved edge from the Optical drive so that the Laptop looks just like the original ?

You can pop-off the 'faceplate' from the dvd drive, after you take it out, and fix it to the caddy. Fits seamlessly. Nobody would know looking from the outside. ;)

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
^
Thanks man, Ill order the 12mm indian version now :)

BTW, all 2.5 inch HDDs will fit into this one right ?

I am planning to get an SSD, so...

swiftshashi

Beta Geek ;-)
A nice video for Dual HDD/SSD setup on a dv6 6000/6100 series
Dual Harddrive laptop: Add an SSD into an HP DV6 6190us.flv - YouTube

You can pop-off the 'faceplate' from the dvd drive, after you take it out, and fix it to the caddy. Fits seamlessly. Nobody would know looking from the outside. ;)

May I know a few things bout your setup??
1.Size of Your SSD??.Apps/Games which you've installed on your SSD??
2.Your OS??

aniket.cain

Padawan
A nice video for Dual HDD/SSD setup on a dv6 6000/6100 series
Dual Harddrive laptop: Add an SSD into an HP DV6 6190us.flv - YouTube

May I know a few things bout your setup??
1.Size of Your SSD??.Apps/Games which you've installed on your SSD??
2.Your OS??

1. It is a 120GB (Samsung 830). You want me to list out all apps I have installed? Office 2013, PS6 and most of the other common apps. 7GB of Outlook .pst, etc. It also houses the 8GB virtual drive for Linux. And have tons of space left to never worry about.

And I do not play computer games any more. So not much concerned.

2. Windows 7 x64 ultimate on both, the ssd and the hdd. It is not a dual boot setup. I installed Windows on HDD too, in case I need to do some 'recovery' tasks in the future. One major downside of this is that HDD always boots first if you don't interrupt it and choose the 2nd 'Hard Drive' from Boot options instead.

Top Bottom