The Hang[Over] and over again....... ;)

pr.itdude

tHe nEw gEEk......ITian
Hi guyz....

Since Past few days, my desktop has started irritating me by frequent "hangs". It started with hanging after 5 minutes of the system startup....but now it hangs frequently while no bulky process running. It hangs even while net surfing. Though resumes quickly but its annoying me... :evil:

Here is a quick config :
Intel P4 3.0
2GB DDRII 800 MHz RAM - kingston
Mercury motherboard
Seagate 500 GB HD.
Windows XP SP2

Thats enough i guess....
One thing i would....||*sh!t it just hanged* || like to ask u :

Does a bad sector in Hard Disk can cause this ??

Also, i was unable to format and install xp last time with the cd, (the black screen problem = and went unresolved) so i just restored the backup with Norton Ghost :idea:

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
Major reasons for a hung system are:

1. Cooler (processor fan) not working properly. Overheating!
2. RAM module inserted improperly (in most cases system beeps while booting).
3. Burnt IC in the RAM module.
4. Graphics card inserted improperly (though you haven't mentioned it)

Try to give a thorough swipe to your CPU. Check all the components if they are in place. Check if fans are working properly (heatsink and SMPS/PSU). Closely look at the RAM...see it is damaged in anyway.

Do post your observations.

OP
pr.itdude

pr.itdude

tHe nEw gEEk......ITian
Hmm....i was thinking the same, being aarami ;) just did a Temp check...and found it normal. With Delhi heat, i must wipe off the cabinet now !! And yes, the BIOS battery has expired, resetting sys date/time on each boot. :(

Can hdd glitches result the same ??

Gauravs90

geek........
Check your RAM by running memtest86+ for 1 hour
*www.memtest.org/download/4.10/memtest86+-4.10.iso.zip

Burn above link on cd and boot with it

azzu

AJJU
Had similar problem on my old system...
the HDd was the culprit ( hdd cable )
wasnt able to formatt and reinstall the Os too

so check ur hdd and connections

hope this helps

hope this helps

+1
I too had the similar problem with my old system..the hdd was culprit. check seagate tools available on the seagate website..it will test the sectors of your hdd with each sector test. It was very useful for me..low level format help to give some life to hdd until I donated the system. check if it's still under warranty online and get it replaced.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

hope this helps

i2 guess problem lies in the cable itself and mayn't be in the hard drive.

@OP, do check your PSU also. though i think it isn't causing the problem (as even at low usage pc unexpectedly getting hanged).

OP
pr.itdude

pr.itdude

tHe nEw gEEk......ITian
cleaned up the whole cabinet, swapped the wires....
did a chkdsk, and now its quite working but still not as smooth as it supposed to.

Moreover, after changing the battery too, the CMOS date/time reset problem still occurs...is it due to PSU ??
How can i check PSU...coz looking at it doesnt reflected any problem... (nd fyi, i m not a h/w junkie) so plz guide me.......

@all, i dont have a graphic card and yes, the pc is in low usage, mostly for internet(heavy usage :D) n movie watching.....

OP
pr.itdude

pr.itdude

tHe nEw gEEk......ITian
I suspect the same....
Checked CPU temp in BIOS: 65-70 deg C
Checked after booting using SpeedFan : 75-80 deg C
after constantly monitoring the Temp, found it shook upto 100 deg C. (during CPU usage 100%)
Also, fan1 is working sometimes, and sometimes not, though dont know which fan it is.

There are some Voltages readings also like this.... (if you need them, i can post them too...)

Now Problem No. 2:
I wanted to make a fresh xp installation, but again the problem of "Black Screen" comes out. After booting from the CD, and then "system is inspecting your computer hardware configuration" (something like this) the screen goes Black and nothing happens after that.....tried several times and used several tools to check the problem but no result.

What i am missing.....plz help me out !!

---------- Post added at 08:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 PM ----------

@dheeraj, whats with the HijackThis log,
Anyways, i ran the HijackThis and here is the log (y the forum doesnt support txt attachments :?:)

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
Scan saved at 8:02:00 PM, on 7/7/2010
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Ghost\Agent\VProSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Cyberlink\Shared files\RichVideo.exe
C:\Program Files\Alcohol Soft\Alcohol 120\StarWind\StarWindService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\TUProgSt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\RTHDCPL.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Ghost\Shared\Drivers\SymSnapService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
C:\Program Files\SpeedFan\speedfan.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Pradeep\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Pradeep\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskmgr.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Pradeep\My Documents\Downloads\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = Yahoo! India
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = Yahoo! Search - Web Search
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = Yahoo! Search - Web Search
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = Yahoo! India
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: IEVkbdBHO - {59273AB4-E7D3-40F9-A1A8-6FA9CCA1862C} - C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Internet Security 2010\ievkbd.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: link filter bho - {E33CF602-D945-461A-83F0-819F76A199F8} - C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Internet Security 2010\klwtbbho.dll
O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SkyTel] SkyTel.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RTHDCPL] RTHDCPL.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Persistence] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BluetoothAuthenticationAgent] rundll32.exe bthprops.cpl,,BluetoothAuthenticationAgent
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Alcmtr] ALCMTR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avp] "C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Internet Security 2010\avp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdatePDRShortCut] "D:\@@ installed applications\PowerDirector\PowerDirector\MUITransfer\MUIStartMenu.exe" "D:\@@ installed applications\PowerDirector\PowerDirector" UpdateWithCreateOnce "Software\CyberLink\PowerDirector\8.0"
O8 - Extra context menu item: Add to Anti-Banner - C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Internet Security 2010\ie_banner_deny.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: &Virtual keyboard - {4248FE82-7FCB-46AC-B270-339F08212110} - C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Internet Security 2010\klwtbbho.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: URLs c&heck - {CCF151D8-D089-449F-A5A4-D9909053F20F} - C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Internet Security 2010\klwtbbho.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: C:\PROGRA~1\KASPER~1\KASPER~2\mzvkbd3.dll,C:\PROGRA~1\KASPER~1\KASPER~2\kloehk.dll
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Browseui preloader - {438755C2-A8BA-11D1-B96B-00A0C90312E1} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Component Categories cache daemon - {8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
O23 - Service: Kaspersky Internet Security (AVP) - Kaspersky Lab - C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Internet Security 2010\avp.exe
O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~1.EXE
O23 - Service: Norton Ghost - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Ghost\Agent\VProSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Cyberlink RichVideo Service(CRVS) (RichVideo) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Cyberlink\Shared files\RichVideo.exe
O23 - Service: ServiceLayer - Nokia. - C:\Program Files\PC Connectivity Solution\ServiceLayer.exe
O23 - Service: Start BT in service - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\IVT Corporation\BlueSoleil\StartSkysolSvc.exe
O23 - Service: StarWind iSCSI Service (StarWindService) - Rocket Division Software - C:\Program Files\Alcohol Soft\Alcohol 120\StarWind\StarWindService.exe
O23 - Service: SymSnapService - Symantec - C:\Program Files\Norton Ghost\Shared\Drivers\SymSnapService.exe
O23 - Service: TuneUp Drive Defrag Service (TuneUp.Defrag) - TuneUp Software - C:\WINDOWS\System32\TuneUpDefragService.exe
O23 - Service: TuneUp Program Statistics Service (TuneUp.ProgramStatisticsSvc) - TuneUp Software - C:\WINDOWS\System32\TUProgSt.exe

--
End of file - 7168 bytes

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
Nothing seems to be wrong with the HJT log...

Are you sure the problem is not with the power supply? Try getting a friend's PSU and working with it for an hour or two.

Top Bottom