The great Compression tool Battle! 7-Zip Vs WinRAR !!!

What Compression Tool Do U prefer to Use ???

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlienTech

In the zone
Okay, Just tested 2 RAR'ed file, each file was a different version of another game 6Megs in size, it created a new 7ZIP archive of 6megs, just 10K larger than one of the RAR archives. So it compressed 2 RAR archive of 6 megs, making it 12 megs RAR total down into 6 megs in size for 7ZIP...

Sreekanth V

Journeyman
I like both WinRAR and WinZIP. at the maximum compression WinRAR is slightly better than WinZIP.
7 ZIP is any way batter than both.

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Many months before, I used WinZIP & WinRAR both.
But when I found 7-Zip on net while googling, I never looked up on ne other s/w...
7-Zip is the BEST and supports almost all formats.
My vote goes for 7-Zip...

navjotjsingh

Wise Old Owl
Re: Better then WinRAR?

GameAddict said:
Found another software which *claims* to give better then WinRAR and is called 'Squeeze'. Sorry, don't have the link! But if somebody has used it, please post the your opinion about thier 'claim'.

Squeeze is a Video Compression Software and is available at *www.sorenson.com/ or *www.s-vision.com/solutions/prod/comp_win.php

Hey swatcat can you tell me from where I can get UDA or WinUDA Software. There is one site which is in japanes and other one is down. Also Google does not show any kind of link to UDA software.

expertno.1

Technomancer
expertno.1 said:
are yaar kuch bhi kar lo

rar s the best because its rar(hindi)

now i have changed my opinion

i tried al the best compressors and came to conlcusion that

UHARC ALZ compressor is the best

try it urself ..only 1 mb

get it from here

*www.softpedia.com/get/Compression-tools/UHARC-GUI-by-Brhack.shtml

or a direct link

*www.sharemation.com/brhack/pub/UHARC_GUI/UHARCGUI2.0-xp.exe

hpotter606

Journeyman
WinRAR for me as its simpler to operate compresses more than Winzip. (and evaluation copy does not end for me!!)

AlienTech

In the zone
Here is another test, Its a bunch of ROM dumps from Atari 2600 game machines of the 70's. Like 5000 files and half are duplicates... RAR compresses the files down to 23394651 bytes...

7Zip compresses it down to get this..... 2607209 bytes... In fact the archive was twice as large before I added some more files to it, when it was like over 5000000 bytes.. But after adding another 800 or so files to it, it made it 50% smaller...

I was so shocked that I did not believe it and unarced the files and re compressed the same files back into RAR and the resultant RAR archive was the exact size as the first time. I did this to make sure it was not doing something funny like storing dummy files like some trick programs used to do to fool people. But the RAR CRC32's matched on both before and after 7zipped files.

So in this case 7Zip compressed the files to 10% of what a RAR file would have ended up as...

Here is the link, I am still not quite believing this...

Your file A2600.7z (2607209 Bytes) is now online.
Your Download-Link: <*rapidshare.de/files/4468217/A2600.7z.html>

expertno.1

Technomancer
hahahahaha

Has anyone heard about WinRK ?

no ?

stupid !

you must musty

i did a short test of 5 mb file

it contained

1 mb of image
1.5 mb of exe
1 mb of dlls
1 mb of html and text
.5 mb of mp3 and rm

so here are the results

WinZip 10 beta ppmd = 2.356 mb
WinRar solid arcive best = 2.212 mb
Winuha ( UHARC 0.6a ) = 2.090 mb
WinRK PPMZ = 1.980 mb
WinRK PWCM = 1.321 mb

man WinR wins !

get info from here

*www.msoftware.co.nz

download

*www.msoftware.co.nz:80/pub/WinRK216.exe

C

cybermanas

WinRAR is the best I have ever tried.

@expertno.1
WinRK compresses into which format?Can I open those files by WinRAR i.e are they cross-compatible.

Retro

Journeyman
Are there any software to compress Setup Files and Mp3 Files to atleast a certain extent. This will atleast facilitate sharing.

Retro

Journeyman
Are there any software to compress Setup Files and Mp3 Files to atleast a certain extent. This will atleast facilitate sharing.

planetcall

Indian by heart
WinAce

I currently use WinZip and Winrar. The use depends on the nature of the archive and the mood. Though I also used WinAce some times ago and it had excellent results. I like it though I gave up 'coz of low popularity. I would suggest you guyz to try WinAce and see yrself how good it is.

*www.4wd.com/4wdforums/images/smilies/OnTheCan.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom