The definitive Xbox discussion thread | Don't troll

OP
vickybat

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Here's a brief showdown from phil spencer:

Maybe consider that it's less of a requirement and more of a benefit. Hear him out on this.

The corporate vice president of Microsoft Studios explained, "I think the critical thing that people should get their head around is your social and gaming identity, and the content that is associated with your identity, and where your identity roams your content roams with you. It's how you expect so much of your content to run today."

Spencer continued: "You want your library to move with you, you want your friends list to move with you. We think the investment in live that we've made over the last 8 years has been really important to growing that capability, and when you think about your gaming library associated with your identity is an incredibly important thing. We're going through that transition right now and gamers will come along."

And when you think about it, the connectivity requirement is not much different from that of other services. Spencer points out that these days people expect their library to be with them.

"Any other device that you own, your library is digital. Frankly, if you're on the PC, or a Steam customer, or an App Store customer on iOS devices -- this is how you think about your library of content."

But what about those that might not expect that the Xbox One would require a connection for use? Spencer points out that people are used to being connected these days.

"There are different constituents out there. I think you have a certain constituency now that has multiple devices. Maybe they have a tablet -- iPad or Surface. They've got a phone. These things connect; nobody thinks about them not. The first thing you do is log into your Wifi. If it wasn't logged in you couldn't even put apps on it if it didn't connect to the Wifi."

So what about internet downtime? Internet restrictions? Additional concerns arise for those with bandwidth limits. Spencer told us that they've worked allowances for these and other cases into the system:

"If you look at the bandwidth requirements for this authentication it's very small. So if you think about something that you've downloaded and you want to go play, the bandwidth requirements are not going to be an issue."

"We understand what the internet is. We've built fault tolerances in our system like we have with Live in our past. We'll continue that. That's why we built this window in. Because we understand that things happen. My internet might go down, I'm in a metered system and I want to make sure I'm monitoring my use of the internet -- we've built to support those ecosystems completely."

I asked if those that have absolutely no access to internet are completely out of luck. It seems they are.

Spencer explained: "I mean the analogy, and I don't know if it's a great analogy… let's say I live in an area that doesn't have cell service. I wouldn't go buy a cell phone. Now, I might roam in different areas where my cellphone becomes active."

He continued: "The 360 ecosystem is a great ecosystem for somebody that's in a purely disconnected state for long periods of time. We have built a natively connected device with Xbox One and we think the experiences are moving in that direction."

Closing, he added, "But we do think the world's moving to digital… Moving? I think it's there in almost every other device I think you own. We want to bring consoles along because I think there's inherent benefits to that. "

The points aren't that much transparent. The 360 one was completely moot.

CommanderShawnzer

Steam High Templar

Why give a crap about them?
In India,PS4 will win the console war before it starts ;-)

Many people here don't have broadband(Yep,they have internet access,but through 3g dongles or through thier phones.)
I don't think MS added support for 3g dongles.

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor

They're lying when they say that forced internet connection is needed for the library to move with you. There is something known as "logging in" as and when needed, isn't there, microshaft?

CommanderShawnzer

Steam High Templar
And wheres the Guarantee that i will be able to play Xbox One games like, 10 years down the line when the Xbox One will be discontinued?
Will microshaft still have servers for 24-hour authentication?

There are still some foreign Unkils that play games on SNES.

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
And wheres the Guarantee that i will be able to play Xbox One games like, 10 years down the line when the Xbox One will be discontinued?
Will microshaft still have servers for 24-hour authentication?

There are still some foreign Unkils that play games on SNES.

They might update the console to remove 24h authentication instead :)

The problem with the feature creep in modern consoles is that over time, they lose their value (features that need the internet don't work anymore). But the classic consoles, such as the NES/ Famicom, N64, Atari Jaguar, NeoGeo etc at least stay exactly the way they used to stay :)

cyborg47

Technomancer
No matter how much praise Sony gets for PS4, MS will still win with xbone, they are geniuses in terms of marketing.

OP
vickybat

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
No matter how much praise Sony gets for PS4, MS will still win with xbone, they are geniuses in terms of marketing.

Well they won't win outright but will remain highly competitive and very well in the game. Microsoft secured high marks thanks to their exclusives shown. "Ryse" and "Titanfall" stole the show for me. Both of them showcased real-time gameplay and looked fabulous. Only if these sh!tty restrictions are removed, Xbox-one has great potential to shine.

The games are great, no doubt. The exclusives have that shine in them and are extremely capable to be potential system sellers.

cyborg47

Technomancer
Well they won't win outright but will remain highly competitive and very well in the game. Microsoft secured high marks thanks to their exclusives shown. "Ryse" and "Titanfall" stole the show for me. Both of them showcased real-time gameplay and looked fabulous. Only if these sh!tty restrictions are removed, Xbox-one has great potential to shine.

Mark my word, Ryse will fail badly, worse than how bad crysis 3 failed, its nothing but a 6 hour QTE mess. Titanfall was great, but its also a PC title too and a timed exclusive, will probably release on PS3/4 a year later, would love to see the game dethrone Ghosts(most probably will).
The only way MS is gonna win, just like this gen, cater the crap out of the casuals/family audience, and their TV marketing has worked on a lot of people.

OP
vickybat

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Mark my word, Ryse will fail badly, worse than how bad crysis 3 failed, its nothing but a 6 hour QTE mess. Titanfall was great, but its also a PC title too and a timed exclusive, will probably release on PS3/4 a year later, would love to see the game dethrone Ghosts(most probably will).
The only way MS is gonna win, just like this gen, cater the crap out of the casuals/family audience, and their TV marketing has worked on a lot of people.

The QTE is optional. Notice the button pressing highlights ( press the "B" button). They are simply alternate execution sequences. You can still kill the enemy by conventional combo strikes.
Its not forced at all. The voice acting seemed good too. I don't think it'll fail. Let's watch this space though. Its also a launch title for the console.

Titanfall is a timed exclusive?? Will it come to PS4 later?

Exclusives like Forza, sunset overdrive, killer instinct , quantum break, won't be ignored by many.

[YOUTUBE]4MfYuP6L44k[/YOUTUBE]

Man i've become a fan of RYSE.

PS4 vs Xbox One In-Depth Stats Comparison

P.S I'm glad MGSV is in PS4. I thought it was a timed exclusive or something. It wasn't there in the wiki page until now. :)

Last edited:

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
The QTE is optional. Notice the button pressing highlights ( press the "B" button). They are simply alternate execution sequences. You can still kill the enemy by conventional combo strikes.
Its not forced at all. The voice acting seemed good too. I don't think it'll fail. Let's watch this space though. Its also a launch title for the console.

Titanfall is a timed exclusive?? Will it come to PS4 later?

Exclusives like Forza, sunset overdrive, killer instinct , quantum break, and MGSV ( No PS4 launch and its surprising) won't be ignored by many.

SNIP

Man i've become a fan of RYSE.

If your QTE events are optional, why are they preceded by slowdowns of time?

Voice acting was good? :rofl: They probably chose a terrible voice-actor. Also, the expressions looked crap.

Once the game gives control to the user, everything goes downhill.

Forza looked meh, the new AI scheme is crap (another example of spying).

MGSV is exclusive to Xbox?! No. :|

Killer Instinct 2013 looks like a Street Fighter IV/ SFxT clone (art style and appearance), is free2play and only one character is free :|

The fact that it is co-developed by a shovelware company (Double Helix) brings more negativity towards it. When M$ bought Rare, most of the talent from the company left.

Last edited:

Cilus

laborare est orare

Voice acting was good? :rofl: They probably chose a terrible voice-actor. Also, the expressions looked crap.

Once the game gives control to the user, everything goes downhill.

Forza looked meh, the new AI scheme is crap (another example of spying).

Killer Instinct 2013 looks like a Street Fighter IV/ SFxT clone (art style and appearance), is free2play and only one character is free :|

The fact that it is co-developed by a shovelware company (Double Helix) brings more negativity towards it. When M$ bought Rare, most of the talent from the company left.

Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if you ignore all the facts in front of you because

Extreme Gamer, you know that we had a lot of problems regarding console sections lately. I don't have any issues with your opinion but there is a better way to put those. Was there any requirement of posting those insulting images in your post? And look, everybody suggested against it. Please be a little polite while posting.

OP
vickybat

vickybat

I am the night...I am...

You'll find your answers here:

Ryse - QTE's are optional execution moves - NeoGAF

Just on the Gamespot stream a dev explained what the QTEs are about. You can basically trigger an execution move and have a QTE minigame during the execution instead of a uninterrupted canned animation. He promises they have a mature sword/shield combat system underneath.

I'm really glad that its coming to PS4. Last time i checked the wiki page had no mention of PS4.
Edited my previous post regarding this info.

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
Extreme Gamer, you know that we had a lot of problems regarding console sections lately. I don't have any issues with your opinion but there is a better way to put those. Was there any requirement of posting those insulting images in your post? And look, everybody suggested against it. Please be a little polite while posting.

Fine, I'll be less rude next time :)

disclaimer: I hope you know I'm joking about being "less rude", lol

You'll find your answers here:

Ryse - QTE's are optional execution moves - NeoGAF

I'm really glad that its coming to PS4. Last time i checked the wiki page had no mention of PS4.
Edited my previous post regarding this info.

@Vicky, in case these QTE's are all optional, then I hope the combat is more slick next time. The enemies appear really weak, there is a lot of hand-holding, the animations are not cohesively linked, and the acting is unimpressive.

The first QTE in the trailer looks forced though.

Anyway, another poster at GAF says

Just on the Gamespot stream a dev explained what the QTEs are about. You can basically trigger an execution move and have a QTE minigame during the execution instead of a uninterrupted canned animation. He promises they have a mature sword/shield combat system underneath.
I don't believe him one second. No chance this game has a deep fighting system.

cyborg47

Technomancer
If the game had any kind of depth in combat, it would have been in the presentation, like some kind of combo system. Crytek rather showed the same old thing they're good at, selling tech demos.

Top Bottom