The definitive Xbox discussion thread | Don't troll

OP
vickybat

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Microsoft Says Windows 7, Nvidia GTX PCs At E3 Were Xbox One Dev Kits

Now this is complete foul play from Microsoft's part. How can they relate xbox-one's performance by running alpha build on a GTX 780 and a high end Intel cpu??

They are even trying to defend themselves.

Xbox One’s DRM Explained

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
Just don't expect Xbox One games to look remotely similar when they actually launch for the console, given that they were running on a card that costs more than the system itself and is more powerful than both the Xbox One and PS4 combined.

Now that's the best press comment I've seen for the whole of E3 and in this next gen console war :lol: :lol:

darkv0id

Journeyman
This console war just got x1000 more interesting.

Xbox One Will neither Require Internet, nor Restrict Used Games

As cynical as I might want to be, I can't see this as anything other than good news. At the very least, it shows that when we decide to vote with our wallets, companies do listen.

But they should consider changing the name of the console to Xbox 180.

EDIT: The official announcement on the Xbox site.

Last edited:

cyborg47

Technomancer

As cynical as I might want to, I can't see this as anything other than good news. At the very least, it shows that when we decide to vote with our wallets, companies do listen.

Good to see them changing the policies, but that 'We're listening' PR line sounds BS, lol. Its nothing but damage control. They've realized that their silly policies are doing nothing but damaging the business. MS is a greedy company, they proved it already. Who knows what they might bring up after getting their business momentum right? fking american corporates.
Not that gamers shouldn't go for Xbox or anything, but I personally wouldn't trust them right away.

darkv0id

Journeyman
Good to see them changing the policies, but that 'We're listening' PR line sounds BS, lol. Its nothing but damage control. They've realized that their silly policies are doing nothing but damaging the business. MS is a greedy company, they proved it already. Who knows what they might bring up after getting their business momentum right? fking american corporates.
Not that gamers shouldn't go for Xbox or anything, but I personally wouldn't trust them right away.

You read my mind. Again, the cynic in me knows that the PR machine at MS will put a positive spin on this, but the reality is- MS' u-turn proves that all that always online DRM was just plain unnecessary in the first place.

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
I think they were not meeting even half of their initial sales forecasts.

That is the only thing which could have made this happen.

Now, Xbox haters will say either or both or a variation of the following:

1. Microsoft had draconian drm plans before, so I wont buy it.
2. Microsoft doesnt have the cojones to back their plans, so I won't buy it.

Interestingly, what was noticable in it's absence was a comment on our resident living room spy :D (it should be obvious what I'm talking about) Sony still has ammunition :p (our console doesnt spy on you)
Also, sony could announce free online multiplayer to 1up microsoft.

And then, there is a possibility that future updates could reimplement the xbox drm (press might not run it because m$ could stagger the implementation over multiple patches).
Personally I'm waiting for a compatibility layer to run X1 games on PC :D

darkv0id

Journeyman
As usual, the internet predicted the future.

*i.imgur.com/1iD7IHu.png

Original Link.

Attachments

• 1iD7IHu.png
    1iD7IHu.png
    25.6 KB · Views: 70
OP
vickybat

vickybat

I am the night...I am...

As cynical as I might want to be, I can't see this as anything other than good news. At the very least, it shows that when we decide to vote with our wallets, companies do listen.

EDIT: The official announcement on the Xbox site.

This is good news. Xbox should not fail for sake of the industry. It would have been a huge blow.
Sony also had a huge part to play on this. If they would have went the DRM way, then gamers would have been doomed, or at least forced to adapt to the new policies.

Now the fight will be a proper one, i.e between games and who provides more quality content in the long run. No more sh!tty DRM battles.

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
This is good news. Xbox should not fail for sake of the industry. It would have been a huge blow.
Sony also had a huge part to play on this. If they would have went the DRM way, then gamers would have been doomed, or at least forced to adapt to the new policies.

Now the fight will be a proper one, i.e between games and who provides more quality content in the long run. No more sh!tty DRM battles.
Sony going the DRM way would mean more sales for the Wii U, and it would definitely benefit the industry.

OP
vickybat

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Sony going the DRM way would mean more sales for the Wii U, and it would definitely benefit the industry.

Nope, if both Sony and Microsoft had failed, then the entire gaming industry would have doomed along with the Wii-U.
The console market would have ceased to exist or forced to evolve into a different model.

Even now i think that the Wii-U should not fail too. It will again be bad for the industry.
Thankfully, it was out of the DRM issues from day one. Now some good original and new IP's can turn tide in its favor.

$499 is not that much of an issue for Microsoft, considering they are bundling a next gen Kinect camera.
Things at Amazon should change now considering these turn of events.

Last edited:

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
Nope, if both Sony and Microsoft had failed, then the entire gaming industry would have doomed along with the Wii-U.
The console market would have ceased to exist or forced to evolve into a different model.

So basically, you're saying that people who aren't nintendo fans inherently hate the Wii U?

You're saying they would not choose Option C (or rather 'N' in this case)?

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
You're silence speaks volumes, you know. Dismiss others' statements when you can back them up with something.

I wouldn't call the Xbox stand reversal a moonwalk either. It's more like waking up from a PR nightmare.

OP
vickybat

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Xbox One DRM Reversal Cuts Features, Requires One-Time Connection

UPDATE: Microsoft clarifies that the planned day-one Xbox One update, which Whitten told me, will "complete some of the software that won’t be there," is actually not a result of today's DRM policy change. Rather, it was always planned and will simply be required for playing off-line, among other things. Not a patch, they say. But, yes, your new Xbox console would have to connect online once in order to do the things Microsoft described today. And then you can keep it offline and play games without re-connecting to the Internet forever.

Now, X1 has become a hell of a competitor with all the awesome exclusives.

Touche!!!! :)

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
I think the day one connection was always required, regardless of whether they changed their DRM plans or not. Now they would just modify their day one update to make all these changes.

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good news.

Otherwise the only reason it would have been called Xbox One was because it took 359 steps backwards. Now a 180 degree turn.

Top Bottom